CINCINNATI (TICKER) —There figures to be plenty of personnel changes for the Kansas City Chiefs following the worst season in franchise history.
If star running back Larry Johnson gets his way, he will be part of those changes.
After running for just 18 yards on 10 carries in Sunday’s 16-6 loss to Cincinnati, Johnson told reporters that he wants to continue his career elsewhere.
The Chiefs have lost 23 of their last 25 games and are in for a long offseason. General manager Carl Petersen resigned earlier this month, and head coach Herm Edwards may not be back next season.
Johnson hopes he isn’t either.
“Hopefully, my future is not with this organization,” said Johnson, who was suspended by the team for an arrest on simple assault earlier this season. “It’s not (the Chiefs’) fault. Half of it is mine. Half of it is my off-the-field situation and other things that occurred.
“On the football field, my role definitely diminished when I came back. … I felt like I could have helped as much as I could have, but they shifted their powers to other players on the team. I feel as though the time is up in this city and this program.”
A two-time Pro Bowler, Johnson indicated that his standing in the community has affected his feelings toward the Chiefs.
“It has everything to do with the environment,” he said. “The city is tired of me, and the organization and I have run our course together. It’s time for me to go.”
A trade may be difficult though, as Johnson signed a five-year, $43 million extension - $19 million of which was guaranteed - prior to the 2007 season and may also be facing disciplinary action from the league.
Johnson ran for 874 yards and five touchdowns this season, a far cry from his lofty production of the past.
The 27th overall pick of the 2003 draft, Johnson ran for 3,539 yards and 37 touchdowns from 2005-06. However, the 29-year-old was limited to eight games last season due to a foot injury and ran for 559 yards and three scores.