Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Jamaal Charles is the future of the chiefs anyways

Default Jamaal Charles is the future of the chiefs anyways

goodbye LJ

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I did not seem much out of him this season either, but I think the Chiefs re-sign him cheap in the offseason. Before his season ending injury, they just did not use him much. I guess I make the comparison based more on last year than this season. He had a couple of good games and did not fumble once. I see Smith as having the potential to develop into a great player. We can disagree on this because I do not mind there being only one Priest Holmes.
    Amen

I really like Charles but don't think he's durable enough to be an every-down back.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Post Charles Change of Pace

I agree with a comment stated earlier: Good teams in todays NFL have two good RB's, and Thunder type runner for btwn the Tackels and a Lightning like Charles that can hit a big play at any given point in the game. (NYG jacobs and ward, MIA Brown and Williams, DAL Barber and Jones, CAR Williams and Stewart, BAL McGahee and McClain, etc.)

I feel that Charles should get 10-15 touches per game (outside runs/ Screens/etc.) We should get rid of LJ in a trade to help with another position (DE, LB, OL) or for high draft picks.

Then we should sign Derrick Ward from the giants, since they wont be able to afford to keep both him and Jacobs (we have the cap room). Or like someone else has stated, Draft Shonn Green RB from Iowa to carry the load (100+ yds rushing in every game this season! possibly one game he missed the mark, but still that is impressive) the second option will be alot cheaper than the first.

I agree someone like Shonn Green would be a nice fit, if we actually get rid of LJ. And tornado, I gotta give praise for your little Kolby note cuz I like the kid as well. He looks bad when he gets hit before he can hit the hole, but I also saw him consistently get 5+ yardage after LJ effed up, and then they pulled him off. I also saw Charles look pretty bad on half his carries.

well i still like charles better then smith anyday

I didn't, but now I think Kolby's gonna be worse after the injury. It'd be nice if we could grab a guy like Sproles in the offseason and a big back in draft.

There are so many factors in this that the argument of Johnson being good or not cannot be laid completely at Johnson's feet.

For instance, when a team gets behind, you cannot run the ball as often, if JOhnson needs 25 carries in a game and will break one or two for 20 yards or more, then that is perfectly fine if the defense can keep you in the game to make the yards.

The defense being out of the equation, when you get a score or two down, you cannot afford to go three and out anymore, you have to put up some yards. Johnson is not good enough to be able to be relied upon to get enough yards to bring you back in the game. Especially behind the offensive line we have.

How many plays from within the 10 yard line did we run this season where we failed to score? I remember one game where we had something like 12 plays from within the 12 yard line and could not run, pass or any other way get the ball into the end zone.

That is just plane stupid and if Johnson WAS the kind of back that his fans claim he is, then having that many chances could have resulted in 6 points.

In the early days Johnson benefited from an awesome offensive line, when that line left, we found out just what kind of player we had.

I would be willing to keep the guy if he was somewhat more like Gonzales where he was teaching the players good sportsmanship and mentoring off the field, but he is not doing that. There are no good points for Johnson being on this team right now.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    I didn't, but now I think Kolby's gonna be worse after the injury. It'd be nice if we could grab a guy like Sproles in the offseason and a big back in draft.
    That's exactly who Charles is. When I was watching the game last weekend, I swore I was watching Charles. Charles just hasn't had the number of carries per game week in and week out. We'll see next year, as I think he get's elevated to the starting position with another power back for short yardage situations.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

I'm just not a big Charles fan to be honest. I do think with a solid #1 powerback he'd be successful, but the thing I like about Sproles is that he runs with power. He plants his feet into the ground and pushes off where as Charles does more treading. JC (that feels weird) reminds me more of Reggie Bush than Darren Sproles.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    I'm just not a big Charles fan to be honest. I do think with a solid #1 powerback he'd be successful, but the thing I like about Sproles is that he runs with power. He plants his feet into the ground and pushes off where as Charles does more treading. JC (that feels weird) reminds me more of Reggie Bush than Darren Sproles.
    I can see why you would say that, but I say give Charles time. In college, Charles would go from football in the fall/winter, then track in the spring. Which means he did not do much weight lifting that other football players do. Now that he is in the NFL, I see him bulking up more. On top of that, if he learns better ball security and ball carry vision, he'll be a great back whether he's carrying the load or a change of pace back. Charles will either turn out like Reggie Bush or Chris Johnson (it's weird to compare him to two young players). After watching Johnson today, I believe a speed RB can carry the load of the team. So it just matters on how Charles develops.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast