Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamaal Charles is the future of the chiefs anyways

Default Jamaal Charles is the future of the chiefs anyways

goodbye LJ

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I agree, in an NFL style offense. But, Charles did average almost a full YPC better than LJ this season. (5.3 to 4.5)

Great!!! If you definition of success id percentage points then we have more problems than we know about!! Besides, Charles won't play half the games a normal RB will play because he will be hurt all the time.

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

I don't like Charles as the starter. Not that I don't think he can do it, I just think we would do better with a two back system. Charles\Smith rotation sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    I don't like Charles as the starter. Not that I don't think he can do it, I just think we would do better with a two back system. CharlesSmith rotation sounds good to me.
    I think Charles will need to be part of a running back by committee. I am not against a 2-back system either. I think Charles is our version of Leon Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Great!!! If you definition of success id percentage points then we have more problems than we know about!! Besides, Charles won't play half the games a normal RB will play because he will be hurt all the time.
    At least he knows how to block, unlike LJ. Charles will be a better team player than LJ.

And as far as the O-line is concerned it will be fixed. The Chiefs will spend money in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    At least he knows how to block, unlike LJ. Charles will be a better team player than LJ.

And as far as the O-line is concerned it will be fixed. The Chiefs will spend money in the offseason.
    Yeah, even Herm was saying that free agency was something they were likely to consider this season... How about getting Sproles to run with Smith and Charles?

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Yeah, even Herm was saying that free agency was something they were likely to consider this season... How about getting Sproles to run with Smith and Charles?
    Sproles and Charles are too similar.. speedy, undersized RBs who are best in passing downs and running outside the tackles. We need someone who bangs between the tackles for the tough yards. The thing I do like about Sproles is that he's one of the best return guys in the league.

Derrick Ward could be an interesting signing if he isn't too expensive. I'm just worried that a large part of his success came from running behind the Giants O-Line. Jacobs would be much better, but he'd be too expensive and will probably re-sign with the Giants.

I think Smith could be a good short yardage back.. seems like he always manages to squeeze through for an extra yard, and rarely gets stopped in the backfield like a certain #27.

Ward, Charles, Smith could be a pretty good and inexpensive backfield. Then the money can be put into both lines.

I should add though that I would rather just draft an RB. Any decent back can prosper behind a good o-line.
    Last edited by yashi; 12-30-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Well, when one guy carries the ball further than the other, then that percentage means something.

But the fact is that you've said noone could do any better, and yet someone did.

His being injured doesn't change the fact that when he got the football, he took it further that LJ did, when he had the ball.

And YPC is really the measurement of success for rushing. You can run for 1700 yards, but if it took more than 400 carries to do it, then it's just pretty good.

If you did it on 300 carries, then you had a much higher degree of success rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I should add though that I would rather just draft an RB. Any decent back can prosper behind a good o-line.
    Amen. Good teams don't overpay for RBs. The Falcons were the only team to strike gold with an expensive RB acquisition this year, and they may be regretting the deal in a couple seasons when Turner's legs die.

A steady supply of fresh legs is more important than almost any individual RB.

Well, when one guy carries the ball further than the other, then that percentage means something.

But the fact is that you've said noone could do any better, and yet someone did.

His being injured doesn't change the fact that when he got the football, he took it further that LJ did, when he had the ball.

And YPC is really the measurement of success for rushing. You can run for 1700 yards, but if it took more than 400 carries to do it, then it's just pretty good.

If you did it on 300 carries, then you had a much higher degree of success rushing.
    Like I said, if your definition is this, then we have nothing further to talk about on this subject! 4 or 5 tenths of a percentage point means NOTHING when talking about yards per carry and you know it!! Charles is not anywhere near the RB that LJ is. Its just a fact! Go to any board from any team in the league that will give an unbiased opinion and you won't find 10 people that say Charles is better. Period!

And YPC is really the measurement of success for rushing..
    Well I'm not going to argue that YPC is an important stat, it really isn't a complete measurement for success. Example:

Player A has 10 carries for 50 yards (5.0 YPC), consisting of (1) 50 yard carry, and (9) 0 yard carries.

Player B has 10 carries for 40 yards (4.0 YPC), consisting of (10) 4 yard carries.

Which players performance is more likely to result in a win for the team? Player A has a much higher YPC, but picked up 1 first down the entire game, and scored at most 1 touchdown. The other 9 carries he didn't move the chains and didn't help open up the pass.

That's my rant about YPC. Consistency is more important for me, which is why I'd rather have player B. It's not about how many yards you get, it's how and when you get them. It's also part of the reason why teams don't give someone like Jerious Norwood 20 carries a game.

Jerome Bettis had 3.9 YPC for his career and Tatum Bell has 4.9 for his career. You tell me which one you'd rather have.
    Last edited by yashi; 12-30-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast