Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: i still like thigpen as our starter for the future

Default i still like thigpen as our starter for the future

he did pretty good for just getting thrown into the situation he got thrown into...after are 2 starting qb's that both suck go down he came in and did a great job i think...he did make some stupid throw's but he is young and he will get better as time progresses...some of you will disagree with me but i support thigpen in 2009!

Post Thanks again!

Thanks for the Agreement!

Good luck Tyler! Most of us have your back!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    I like thigpens chances way better then a drafted QB for next year. i say take a QB in 2-3rd rounds and let him sit for a few years. i think with a good o-line we could have a trent green in the making.
    I think we are sticking with Thig. We just signed Martin to stay here. That tells me qb won't be a priority come draft time. I'm surprised though we are making these personnel decisions without new GM signed yet...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    1. The clock doesn't run as fast. As Big Daddy Tek wrote, the emphasis on the pass causes the TOP to favor the other team. There's a reason that the no-huddle Bills of the 90s never won the SB - they couldn't control the clock in the big game.

Likewise, when the Chiefs throw, throw, throw and our running game isn't a serious threat, the TOP will almost always favor the other team. Teams running the spread don't usually have long, time-consuming drives. This puts their defenses out there longer, which tires them out. Especially smaller defenses like ours.

2. Of course most HCs not named Herm are continually adapting. But defenses were not used to our spread offense, and it caught them by surprise most games at its effectiveness. Once they figured it out, they made the necessary halftime adjustments, and its effectiveness went way down.

Look at the Chiefs effectiveness in the 2nd half as compared to the first this season under the spread. Teams made the necessary halftime adjustments and were able to whoop us in the second half of games. The NE teams were just too talented to fall off in the 2d half, until . . .

3. The Pats lost in the SB specifically because the Giants were able to control the clock and bring pressure on defense. The Giants put on a clinic of how to stop a spread offense (just like the Pats did against the pass heavy offense of the Rams in 2001). Despite the fact that NE had the most talented team perhaps in NFL history, they got beat by a mediocre Giants team because the Giants were able to control the clock.

A team with a good front four and a good running game will almost always defeat a team running the spread, no matter the talent level of the team running the spread. And it isn't exactly like we're getting Welker, Moss, Brady, Faulk, and that OL any time soon.

Look at the past few SB winners. The Giants played ball control. The 2007 Colts, usually a pass heavy team, moved to a ball control offense for the playoffs. The Steelers and Pats dynasty teams weren't spread teams (they had big, bruising backs in Smith and Dillon to eat clock). The 2002 Bucs were a ball control team. As were the 2000 Ravens. As were the 97-98 Broncos. In fact, the only exception I can think of to this rule is the 99' Rams, and they were a much better running team than people remember.

We will never win playoff games in a spread offense.
    You are confusing Spread formation with play selection. You can run out of a spread offense. And when you do, the clock runs just the same as when you run out of any other formation.

We ran a multiple receiver spread set allot with Trent Green as QB.

I think that we are forgetting that the the spread offense was instituted half way through the season. That means we did not go through the off-season, preseason, and beginning of the season with the offense that the Chiefs trained/planned to use for the season. Which means the Chiefs needed to put new pages into the playbook and learn a new offense. While they may have practiced the shotgun, they did not train for the entire offense to revolve around that. I think teams may have been able to figure out our offense, but on top of that, the Chiefs may have just ran out of plays. For what the Chiefs were able to do with the short amount of time to learn the offense, I think it is impressive. Thigpen deserves to be given a chance to build an offense to his abilities and learn a playbook that they will use through the season.

Thigpen seems like a young Rich Gannon to me. It's just nice to see what he's capable of early in his career vs. Gannon getting to show off his skills in the final 1/4 of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by vqman View Post
    Thigpen seems like a young Rich Gannon to me. It's just nice to see what he's capable of early in his career vs. Gannon getting to show off his skills in the final 1/4 of his career.
    :sign0156: Thig is a play maker!

Two things contradict each other as far as the spread offense goes and Herm edwards.The spread moves the ball fast and scores many points when executed.Herm can't stand scoring thirty points as he's stated many times.he was probably gritting his teeth with every score we made.We'll just have to wait and see if herm flips a new leaf.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314