Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 86

Thread: 1st Round Pick - QB?

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default 1st Round Pick - QB?


    0 Not allowed!
    I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura, Ca.
    Posts
    2,605
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
    I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?
    No its not, however, I would not put anything past Edwards. Lets hope our new GM has a head on his shoulders.

    Of course, last year they had us taking a QB as well.


    Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
    I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?
    I think Stafford goes to the Lions at number 1. The Rams might pick him if he drops to number 2. No way does he last to us at number 3.

    Sam Bradford isn't worth a first round pick in my opinion. He isn't ready to play next year, or probably in 2010. I think he'll drop into the teens before someone drafts him as a project QB (Jets make a lot of sense).

    I think the Chiefs should pick Oher or Andre Smith and move Albert inside. Albert did very well this year - when we ran the spread. Everypone forgets how bad he was early in the year when we tried to run a traditional offense. As we're probably going back to a traditional offense in 2009, I have no problems moving him to LG and drafting Andre Smith as our LT. We could than draft Alex Mack as our C in the 2nd, and the left side of our OL would be pretty well set for the next decade. McIntosh and Waters would be our stopgap at RT and RG for 2009, until replacements could be found for 2010.

    I'm most afraid that we reach for Michael Johnson or Brian Orakpo to help our pash rush. Neither has the size to be a premier pass rusher or run defender in the NFL.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,093
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 130

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I think Stafford goes to the Lions at number 1. The Rams might pick him if he drops to number 2. No way does he last to us at number 3.

    Sam Bradford isn't worth a first round pick in my opinion. He isn't ready to play next year, or probably in 2010. I think he'll drop into the teens before someone drafts him as a project QB (Jets make a lot of sense).

    I think the Chiefs should pick Oher or Andre Smith and move Albert inside. Albert did very well this year - when we ran the spread. Everypone forgets how bad he was early in the year when we tried to run a traditional offense. As we're probably going back to a traditional offense in 2009, I have no problems moving him to LG and drafting Andre Smith as our LT. We could than draft Alex Mack as our C in the 2nd, and the left side of our OL would be pretty well set for the next decade. McIntosh and Waters would be our stopgap at RT and RG for 2009, until replacements could be found for 2010.

    I'm most afraid that we reach for Michael Johnson or Brian Orakpo to help our pash rush. Neither has the size to be a premier pass rusher or run defender in the NFL.
    Things like this dont make sense to me. Why move a Pro-Bowl guy to a position he has not played in years (if ever) and move a good tackle (debatable whether he is great) to guard. On top of all that, people think that McIntosh will do well at RT.

    This ruins ANY chemistry that was had on the line. And for those of you who dont know, chemistry on the line is probably 2nd most important to that between a WR and QB. The line has to know and trust each other about when a double team is needed/wanted and when it is not.

    IMHO, it is ridiculous to move Waters to RG. He has been a dominant force at LG and probably makes the C and LT look a little better. If you think Albert cant hack LT, move him to RT. He has the footwork and size to play tackle. The argument you make for moving Albert (you claim his inability to pass block was masked by the spread) is the same argument I make for either dumping McIntosh or moving him to RG if we cannot pick up a better guard (he has the size and strength to overpower most DTs, and his lack of footwork doesnt make him a liability if he is on the interior of the line).

    In my dream world, we would trade down and draft a LB. Since I probably wont be the GM next year (Mr. Hunt, I am still waiting for you to call me back) if the GM decides to draft another Tackle, then move Albert or the new guy to the RT spot. The "anchor" of an O-line is the tackles. It would give us some great anchors. And the interior can always be filled in later rounds.

    Thats my two cents, feel free to tear it apart.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale,Az
    Posts
    1,292
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I am really really perplexed at the fact that most on here are satisfied with Thigpen at QB!!!!!! The guy didn't win ONE FRICKEN GAME for god sakes!!!!!! At SOME POINT in the hstory of the Chiefs organization, they have to draft what is considered a "future QB"!!! Nobody and I mean NOBODY considered Croyle to be the QOTF for the Chiefs!!!! There will be a few linemen later in the draft and if they spend money in the FA market like I have been saying they will have a productive off season.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,076
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Things like this dont make sense to me. Why move a Pro-Bowl guy to a position he has not played in years (if ever) and move a good tackle (debatable whether he is great) to guard. On top of all that, people think that McIntosh will do well at RT.

    This ruins ANY chemistry that was had on the line. And for those of you who dont know, chemistry on the line is probably 2nd most important to that between a WR and QB. The line has to know and trust each other about when a double team is needed/wanted and when it is not.

    IMHO, it is ridiculous to move Waters to RG. He has been a dominant force at LG and probably makes the C and LT look a little better. If you think Albert cant hack LT, move him to RT. He has the footwork and size to play tackle. The argument you make for moving Albert (you claim his inability to pass block was masked by the spread) is the same argument I make for either dumping McIntosh or moving him to RG if we cannot pick up a better guard (he has the size and strength to overpower most DTs, and his lack of footwork doesnt make him a liability if he is on the interior of the line).

    In my dream world, we would trade down and draft a LB. Since I probably wont be the GM next year (Mr. Hunt, I am still waiting for you to call me back) if the GM decides to draft another Tackle, then move Albert or the new guy to the RT spot. The "anchor" of an O-line is the tackles. It would give us some great anchors. And the interior can always be filled in later rounds.

    Thats my two cents, feel free to tear it apart.
    I agree. Why replace the engine, when all it needs is a new set of rings? Why replace the wardrobe, when you just need some new jeans? Whatever. No worthwhile coach would ask pro-bowl LG Brian Waters to move. It is one of the very few positions on this team that doesn't need to be addressed. And Brian Waters would probably retire if asked to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
    I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?
    The analyst you saw was Todd McShay. It would be nearly impossible for an analyst to truly understand every team's needs. It is pretty obvious IMO, that Todd needs to spend some time watching Chiefs videotape before putting together his next mock draft.

    I would expect someone that didn't follow the Chiefs this year to automatically assume the Chiefs need a QB with their pirst pick.


  7. #7
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    I am really really perplexed at the fact that most on here are satisfied with Thigpen at QB!!!!!! The guy didn't win ONE FRICKEN GAME for god sakes!!!!!! At SOME POINT in the hstory of the Chiefs organization, they have to draft what is considered a "future QB"!!! Nobody and I mean NOBODY considered Croyle to be the QOTF for the Chiefs!!!! There will be a few linemen later in the draft and if they spend money in the FA market like I have been saying they will have a productive off season.
    Thigpen won the Oakland game, remember?

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,076
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I'm not convinced that Thigpen is the long-term answer right now either. But I think this team would get better quicker by drafting another position. I think Thigpen showed us some things this year. He can lead, he has heart, he can run, he can read defenses.....he can underthrow balls, he can overthrow balls, he can make poor decisions. But he is a rookie. Overall I thought he was a world of improvement over Brodie Croyle, who most people wanted to make our franchise QB.


  9. #9
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Things like this dont make sense to me. Why move a Pro-Bowl guy to a position he has not played in years (if ever) and move a good tackle (debatable whether he is great) to guard. On top of all that, people think that McIntosh will do well at RT.

    This ruins ANY chemistry that was had on the line. And for those of you who dont know, chemistry on the line is probably 2nd most important to that between a WR and QB. The line has to know and trust each other about when a double team is needed/wanted and when it is not.

    IMHO, it is ridiculous to move Waters to RG. He has been a dominant force at LG and probably makes the C and LT look a little better. If you think Albert cant hack LT, move him to RT. He has the footwork and size to play tackle. The argument you make for moving Albert (you claim his inability to pass block was masked by the spread) is the same argument I make for either dumping McIntosh or moving him to RG if we cannot pick up a better guard (he has the size and strength to overpower most DTs, and his lack of footwork doesnt make him a liability if he is on the interior of the line).

    In my dream world, we would trade down and draft a LB. Since I probably wont be the GM next year (Mr. Hunt, I am still waiting for you to call me back) if the GM decides to draft another Tackle, then move Albert or the new guy to the RT spot. The "anchor" of an O-line is the tackles. It would give us some great anchors. And the interior can always be filled in later rounds.

    Thats my two cents, feel free to tear it apart.
    You're right about most things.

    Waters will probably retire in the next year or three. He's (by far) our best lineman, and I think he'd be able to make the move to RG with few problems. I want to move Albert inside because I think he can be a top-3 guard in the NFL, but only a top-20 tackle. I think that drafting a premier C and LT and moving Albert to LG makes the left side of our line one of the strongest in the league for the next decade. I think that moving Waters to RG is a good fix for the next couple years until a replacement can be groomed.

    Don't get me wrong, I do not want McIntosh as our RT. I'd love nothing more than for us to get a good RT in the draft or FA (Gross). However, I do think that moving Waters to RG will help him be adequate until 2010.

    I think that we are jumping to conclusions on how this line will perform in a traditional offense, especially Albert at LT. We should be shaking up its chemistry, and we should replace our C, RG, and RT at least. I think the spread has masked their deficiencies (which is the whole reason we moved to the spread), and that, if anything, we have slowed Albert's learning curve as a starting LT by using this offense.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14,076
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    You're right about most things.

    Waters will probably retire in the next year or three. He's (by far) our best lineman, and I think he'd be able to make the move to RG with few problems. I want to move Albert inside because I think he can be a top-3 guard in the NFL, but only a top-20 tackle. I think that drafting a premier C and LT and moving Albert to LG makes the left side of our line one of the strongest in the league for the next decade. I think that moving Waters to RG is a good fix for the next couple years until a replacement can be groomed.

    Don't get me wrong, I do not want McIntosh as our RT. I'd love nothing more than for us to get a good RT in the draft or FA (Gross). However, I do think that moving Waters to RG will help him be adequate until 2010.

    I think that we are jumping to conclusions on how this line will perform in a traditional offense, especially Albert at LT. We should be shaking up its chemistry, and we should replace our C, RG, and RT at least. I think the spread has masked their deficiencies (which is the whole reason we moved to the spread), and that, if anything, we have slowed Albert's learning curve as a starting LT by using this offense.
    Much better argument.


Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •