Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Round Pick - QB?

Default 1st Round Pick - QB?

I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    You're right about most things.

Waters will probably retire in the next year or three. He's (by far) our best lineman, and I think he'd be able to make the move to RG with few problems. I want to move Albert inside because I think he can be a top-3 guard in the NFL, but only a top-20 tackle. I think that drafting a premier C and LT and moving Albert to LG makes the left side of our line one of the strongest in the league for the next decade. I think that moving Waters to RG is a good fix for the next couple years until a replacement can be groomed.

Don't get me wrong, I do not want McIntosh as our RT. I'd love nothing more than for us to get a good RT in the draft or FA (Gross). However, I do think that moving Waters to RG will help him be adequate until 2010.

I think that we are jumping to conclusions on how this line will perform in a traditional offense, especially Albert at LT. We should be shaking up its chemistry, and we should replace our C, RG, and RT at least. I think the spread has masked their deficiencies (which is the whole reason we moved to the spread), and that, if anything, we have slowed Albert's learning curve as a starting LT by using this offense.
    The big problem I have with this plan, is that essentially you would have a rookie at LT, LG AND C (unless we get that in FA or keep Niswanger). Moving Albert inside pretty much makes him a rookie again. He will be playing a different position and (if they fire herm and start a new run-based offense) likely in a new offense. We would have a new rookie LT from the draft. And possibly a new C. I am worried that it would leave the left (QB's blindside) more vulnerable.

If you move Albert to the RT spot you have a good veteran tackle (RT compared to LT is less different than LT is to LG). You have a veteran LG, and hopefully a good LT.

But, this is all speculation. Who knows what will happen from now until the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    The big problem I have with this plan, is that essentially you would have a rookie at LT, LG AND C (unless we get that in FA or keep Niswanger). Moving Albert inside pretty much makes him a rookie again. He will be playing a different position and (if they fire herm and start a new run-based offense) likely in a new offense. We would have a new rookie LT from the draft. And possibly a new C. I am worried that it would leave the left (QB's blindside) more vulnerable.

If you move Albert to the RT spot you have a good veteran tackle (RT compared to LT is less different than LT is to LG). You have a veteran LG, and hopefully a good LT.

But, this is all speculation. Who knows what will happen from now until the draft.
    Very true. And that OL would probably have a rough couple of games in 2009. But they'd be better than what we have currently. And in 2010, they would be among the best in the league.

Just one point - Albert played RG in college in a NFL-style offense. One might argue that he will adapt to LG in a NFL-style offense coming from the spread better than to RT in a NFL-style offense coming from the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
    I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?
    Do you actually read the other threads on this board?

Chemistry on the OLine IS very important...but were talking about a team that is completely rebuilding...we need multiple offensive lineman in the next few years, so shaking things up isnt such a bad idea if we add some pieces...(atleast thats my opinion)...id say albert is pretty much the only one who has the potential to be a good lineman for us in the next 5-10 years...waters will be gone soon, so chemistry wont be there...i think albert is fine at LT personally though...

DRAFT: What we really need to do is draft a MLB (via trade), and sign a DE in the market...then draft your "future" qb in the mid rounds and try to groom him...if thigpen doesnt work out (i think he deserves to be next years starter at the very least...what better is a rookie qb going to do?) then you can always go to your project qb, and worst case you have a solid backup...i really dont think it makes sense to waste a top 3 pick on a qb when we have so many needs...

trade for more picks! and get a baller MLB....

I do think we have to draft a QB though, at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    I am really really perplexed at the fact that most on here are satisfied with Thigpen at QB!!!!!! The guy didn't win ONE FRICKEN GAME for god sakes!!!!!! At SOME POINT in the hstory of the Chiefs organization, they have to draft what is considered a "future QB"!!! Nobody and I mean NOBODY considered Croyle to be the QOTF for the Chiefs!!!! There will be a few linemen later in the draft and if they spend money in the FA market like I have been saying they will have a productive off season.
    I don't know that he's the QB of the future but I think that he can play his role and not lose us games. had our defense not been so terrible he would have won more. Tony G likes him, which I would say speaks volumes and with the contract the number 3 pick is going to warrant drafting a QB that may or may not be good would be a bad choice for an organization that needs to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Do you actually read the other threads on this board?
    Yes I do read the other threads, but I woke up this morning watching ESPN and the fact that someone thought that KC would draft a QB in the first round kind of surprised me. Just wanted to get some opinions on these analysts and whether they are very accurate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

I think that Albert moving would not be that bad. Since he has only been in the league for one year, this would be the best time to move him. He got great experience out on the LT spot, so I would think if he moves anywhere it would be RT unless we pick up a RT through free agency. I do not think Waters will move from LG because if we get a new LT, then he can help them out.

Like someone else said, Albert did play OG in college and moved from there when he came to the NFL. He has done a great job and has the potential to stay there. He did good at covering power rushes like that from Albert Haynesworth, but struggled slightly with the speedy DEs. Therefore, if he moved inside, he could probably handle it. I think with him moving to say the right side, he can better help with the running game.

LT is a position that looks very good in this year's draft. So if the Chiefs decide to go that direction, I would agree. However, if they do that then they may go defense in the second round, which I think the Chiefs could benefit more in getting OC Alex Mack.

i think tyler thigpen could be a really good qb if kc hired a good qb coach. not saying this bc im a "donkey" fan.

Until we get our GM. Its hard to say who (or what positon) we will draft.

Mixing up the O line is another good reason to keep Thigpen and his legs as our QB for another year.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast