Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1st Round Pick - QB?

Default 1st Round Pick - QB?

I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    all the talk about the d and stuff stil leaves us without a great WR. Crabtree or bust...
    A great WR wont guarantee any kind of success in this league. See Detroit, Houston, and the Raiders. With Crabtree, we MAY be able to put more points on the board. But with a better defense or offensive line (so we can run a 4 minute offense and kill the clock with our running game) we wont even NEED to put up as many points as we already did this season.

The only way I personally will be happy with a Crabtree selection is if we use FA to fully upgrade the defense with YOUNG and stellar players and get AT LEAST one good lineman. By fully upgrade I mean a DE, and two LBs. If we get one lineman, we can probably fill the rest of the OL spots in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    A great WR wont guarantee any kind of success in this league. See Detroit, Houston, and the Raiders. With Crabtree, we MAY be able to put more points on the board. But with a better defense or offensive line (so we can run a 4 minute offense and kill the clock with our running game) we wont even NEED to put up as many points as we already did this season.

The only way I personally will be happy with a Crabtree selection is if we use FA to fully upgrade the defense with YOUNG and stellar players and get AT LEAST one good lineman. By fully upgrade I mean a DE, and two LBs. If we get one lineman, we can probably fill the rest of the OL spots in the 2nd-3rd rounds.
    Absolutely right. I like Crabtree a lot. I'd love him on this team. But we're not exactly one player away from greatness here. We have three spots on our OL and DL and two on our LBs that need to be filled before we start making glamour picks like Crabtree or project picks like Bradford.

The 1999 Rams (Holt - draft pick), 2007 Giants (Burress - a FA) and the 2002 Bucs (Keyshawn - by trade) are the only recent championship team I can think of that had a great high pick WR on it. The Pats didn't. The Steelers had Ward, but he wasn't a high pick. The Ravens didn't.

Teams win championships without great WRs all the time. And the Rams are the only recent team (since 1995) I can think of that found championship success wth a WR drafted in the top-10.
    Last edited by jmlamerson; 01-07-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Post No need for Crabtree

I agree, there is no need for Crabtree. Our Receiving corp this year was decent enough. Actually the best combo that I could think of since Kennison was young.

Bowe is becoming an elite WR. he was like 9 yds shy of 1000 yds his rookie season (The best in his class) and then had a 1000+ yd season this year. Proving he can consistenly play well. Darling didn't work out, but Mark Bradley played very well before he got injured, and Will Franklin showed much promise in the preseason before getting hurt. I think when he's healthy and has this year of experience under his belt, he will be an excelent slot reciever or hell, throw charles in the slot on certain formations....

But Yes, WR picks in the Top 10 are glamor picks, it is supposidly the 2nd hardest position transition from college to NFL only behind the QB, not many pan out and we need help in other areas way more than WR.

I would honestly rather have Maclin over Crabtree IF we pick a WR. Maclin is that FAST WR we need to complement Bowe. Maclin would also be that return guy we SO desperately need. So if we MUST take a WR then trade down and grab Maclin IMO. Or better yet trade down and grab Duke Robinson :)~

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    I would honestly rather have Maclin over Crabtree IF we pick a WR. Maclin is that FAST WR we need to complement Bowe. Maclin would also be that return guy we SO desperately need. So if we MUST take a WR then trade down and grab Maclin IMO. Or better yet trade down and grab Duke Robinson :)~
    After watching Bowe this season, I would actually disagree that a speed receiver is what we need.. it's clear that Bowe is excellent at bodying up and making the highlight reel catches, but he drops WAY too many catchable balls. For this reason I would argue that we need more of a possession receiver, especially with TG likely being gone in the next year, someone with great hands and route running in the mold of Houshmanzadeh or Welker. I'm scared to think what would have happened if Thigpen didn't have Tony as a safety valve this season.

So long story short, I think the Chiefs would find Crabtree much more beneficial than Maclin. :) But we shouldn't draft either one...
    Last edited by yashi; 01-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I'm scared to think what would have happened if Thigpen didn't have Tony as a safety valve this season.

So long story short, I think the Chiefs would find Crabtree much more beneficial than Maclin. :) But we shouldn't draft either one...

my thoughts exactly...without Tony G, our offense is DOOMED....i think you will see Bowe stop dropping so many balls, like you said they are easy balls, and i think once he gets more acclimated (hes only in his 2nd season) in the NFL he will stop dropping the easy ones..a speedy receiver that can retun also would be much more beneficial imo, and would give us a deep threat that we do not have right now...

i don't see why we need to draft a Qb. We already have thigpen and that quinn gray isn't a bad backup. Why waste a draft pick on another QB

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstillidie View Post
    i don't see why we need to draft a Qb. We already have thigpen and that quinn gray isn't a bad backup. Why waste a draft pick on another QB
    Exactly.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstillidie View Post
    Well, people are worried that Thigpen won't be a good QB in a NFL-style offense - that his modest successes this year are more based on our running his college style offense than anything else. People also worry about his ability to finish games.

Personally, I think we don't have many options this year other than to stick with Thigpen at QB, simply because there is no one worth drafting and no good FAs. We aren't MN who are a QB away from a SB. We need to fix our lines first and foremost.

If we fix our DL, LB, and OL problems this season, and Thigpen still leads us to another terrible record, then we draft a replacement in 2010.

One thought I do have is that Pioli as our GM might lead to our trading for Cassel (maybe swap 1sts and a 2nd). I'm not saying this is a good thing - just a very possible one.

Why would NE trafe Cassel when Brady likely to be out again next year?
    SHUT IT