Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Round Pick - QB?

Default 1st Round Pick - QB?

I was watching ESPN this morning and according to one of their analysts, the Chiefs will draft Matt Stafford. I saw on a website that Sam Bradford will be selected by the Chiefs. Is it really another quarterback that we need the most right now?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I'd probably be a lot more amenable to taking Orakpo if we were picking lower in the draft and he weren't from Texas. The UT bust rate is awfully high in the pros, and we already have an undersized DL. I think we need to get bigger on defense, not smaller. Orakpo may do OK on a bigger DL, but not on the Chiefs. Tell the trth, I admit I'm pretty worried about getting Suggs at the DE position - I'm betting more that he's improved his skill and strength over the last time he tried it.

Right now, this team has so many needs that we need to hit this one right out of the park. The only sure things (IMO) are Maualuga, Curry, Oher, Smith, and Monroe. I'm not kicking up a fuss if we get any of these five, as all are pretty safe picks and all fit a position of need on this team.

I don't mind trading down to the 14 spot with Chi-town, but I'll agree its unlikely. I wouldn't mind getting Robinson there, trading back into the 1st (our 2nd and 4th, maybe) to get Mack, and using the Bears 2nd to getting Loadholt or Britton. Our OL would be set for a decade.

I'm a firm believer that fixing this OL is the first step to fixing this team. A good OL allows our team to move back to a NFL offense. In turn, we can establish a running game and use the clock. This in turn preserves our defense and prevents 4th quarter collapses. It'll save us injuries at QB and RB, and it will allow us to groom a young QB (Thigpen or otherwise). It is, in short, the magic pill. Our decline these past three years equated to the decline in our OL - this is not a coincidence.
    I was looking at an out of date mock draft. The Bears actually pick 18th, which would likely still let us get Duke.

I completely agree that fixing the O-Line is the most important step for the team, or any rebuilding team for that matter. With a good line we could still have a very good offense with mediocre QB, RB, WRs. Positions I'd like to think we're at least average at currently.

Personally, I'm learning towards taking a top LT and moving Albert to guard where he played in college. All the scouts kept saying that he's versatile and could be a good NFL tackle, but would be a pro bowler at guard. I think having Albert at guard would create some nice holes to open up the running game up the middle. Add in Mack/Unger with our 2nd pick and then the only things we should have to worry about for the next 10 years are replacing Waters and finding someone suitable for RT. 3-4 more solid years from Waters would be huge.

Of course, the whole plan blows up if the new GM decides to go QB with the #3. I'll say it again, I REALLY hope that doesn't happen.

I'll ask this of anyone who thinks going QB is a good idea. What good is Carson Palmer if the blocking is so bad that he ends up missing the whole season due to injury? Or David Carr if his timing becomes permanently off from never having time to throw?

jmlamerson,

You and I seem to be thinking alike. We must get a seasoned DE in FA. Even if Suggs is the same size as the other DE's in the draft Suggs has Experience AND a proven record.

I also love the idea of trading back up to get Mack and still having a 2nd to grab Phil.

This draft should not be hard. The hard part will be getting a DE like Suggs and a MLB like Vilma to come here IMO. If we do this our draft will be cake.

Man I would love this line

Albert/Waters/Mack/Duke/Phil

BTW look how much bigger our Right side would be:

Adrian Jones: 6-4 296
    to
    Duke Robinson: 6-5 330

Damion MCintosh: 6-4 328
    to
    Phil Loadholt: 6-8 350

MAN our Right side would be SOOO much better, plus if we got Alex Mack too........ Maybe LJ would stay then HEHE

MAN I just thought of something funny as hell.

I'm a MU fan and not to big on OU, BUT how funny would it be if we trade down and grab Duke Robinson in the first. Then Phil Loadholt OT in the 2nd. Then wait till round 5 and take Jon Cooper C from Oklahoma LOL

So you get

Duke- G from Oklahoma
    Phil- OT from Oklahoma
    Cooper- C from Oklahoma

Think how good these guys would be working together. They have been playing with each other for years and of course they play well together just look at how good they are now.

Cooper would be the only question out of those 3, but if we got Duke and Phil I think Cooper would be way better because he has played with Duke/Phil and would have Waters on his other side. Cooper could be a GREAT value pick for us IF we get Duke and Phil in rounds 1 and 2 IMO

This would allow us to use our other 2nd'er on another need and maybe even a QB like Tebow/Freeman/Sanchez if you really want to draft a QB this year.

Hmmm I really like the idea of drafting the 3 OU guys and using our other 2nd on another need.
    Last edited by balto; 01-05-2009 at 04:52 PM.

wow, in the two/three days I havent been on, people went from gungho Orakpo, to skippin the bid...interesting. Anyway, I'll be pretty content with any LB/DE/OL/maybe even WR we get in the pick. I'm good without Stafford. For the mock's sake, it should also be said that Todd McShay is annually wrong on many of his picks.

Default 2009 1st rd Pick

I haven't read much of the posts on this thread yet, but saw that it was about the draft.

I can see that may of the mock drafts on the net are projecting Us to pick a top QB.... But honestly I don't believe that is the answer to all of our problems.

Our offense has been productive with Thigpen (who was basically a rookie this year) under center. At the beginning of the season we were struggling just to get a first down, and now with him under center our offense has no problem moving up and down the field (I would add that a few OL would be nice in this draft as well).

But honestly, our problem was our defense... We have a lot of young talented players on our D, but there are two positions in particular that need help.

I believe that our top pick in this draft should either be Arron Curry LB from Wake Forrest who is a beast and rated as one of the top senior LB's this year. Not only can he play inside and outside, he is a great pass rusher and in coverage, he has 4 years of playing experience without missing any gametime due to injuries. Our linebacking corp has been missing a bad A** player that will hit you in the mouth, and cause you to game plan around him since D. Thomas (RIP) and I believe that drafting him will significantly improve many areas of our defense. The second player that I feel would help out in this position, but not nearly as much would be Ray Maualuga LB USC, similar to Curry but has had injury problems.

I also feel that if the Cheifs can trade up to try and get Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech, or pick him up in the second round, our pass rush will improve and the defense will be set. With a year of experience together, these two additions and possibly a free agent spot filled here or there, I think we could contend within the next two years.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RedZones View Post
    I haven't read much of the posts on this thread yet, but saw that it was about the draft.

I can see that may of the mock drafts on the net are projecting Us to pick a top QB.... But honestly I don't believe that is the answer to all of our problems.

Our offense has been productive with Thigpen (who was basically a rookie this year) under center. At the beginning of the season we were struggling just to get a first down, and now with him under center our offense has no problem moving up and down the field (I would add that a few OL would be nice in this draft as well).

But honestly, our problem was our defense... We have a lot of young talented players on our D, but there are two positions in particular that need help.

I believe that our top pick in this draft should either be Arron Curry LB from Wake Forrest who is a beast and rated as one of the top senior LB's this year. Not only can he play inside and outside, he is a great pass rusher and in coverage, he has 4 years of playing experience without missing any gametime due to injuries. Our linebacking corp has been missing a bad A** player that will hit you in the mouth, and cause you to game plan around him since D. Thomas (RIP) and I believe that drafting him will significantly improve many areas of our defense. The second player that I feel would help out in this position, but not nearly as much would be Ray Maualuga LB USC, similar to Curry but has had injury problems.

I also feel that if the Cheifs can trade up to try and get Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech, or pick him up in the second round, our pass rush will improve and the defense will be set. With a year of experience together, these two additions and possibly a free agent spot filled here or there, I think we could contend within the next two years.

Any thoughts?
    I do like Curry. I think if he has a good Combine, he may realistically be the choice for the Chiefs. However, if the Chiefs go for defense in the first round, they have to go O-line in the second. Here is my reasoning. There will be many FA additions worth taking in the offseason. I see the Chiefs being active this year seeing that there are many young studs to acquire. Vilma (ILB) and Suggs (DE) are the top two on my list. However, there are almost no free agents when it comes to the O-line. Most teams look to re-sign their linemen.

But there is no way the Chiefs should go for a QB. I am thinking that the Lions will go for a QB with the first overall pick, which means the Chiefs would be getting the second best, but also means the Chiefs will also have to pay a similar contract. Not worth it for an unproven player. If the Lions do not go for a QB, it is still not worth it because I agree with you that it is not the QB that is our problem. It is the O-line and defense. That is what the Chiefs need to focus on in the free agency and draft.

Maybe since we are revamping ol its time to bring in ol coaches with some coaching AND playing experience to bring these guys along. Our coaching staff sucks.
    SHUT IT

Post Like signing a LB in FA as an Option

I agree Vilma would be a good addition, and a legit starter for years to come but with the view of building through the draft they might not go that route.

One other option that I wouldn't mind seeing is to Get rid of LJ in a trade (He doesnt want to be here and frankly I dont want him here) for either a top starter and any position needed, some high draft picks or both. Use those picks on what we have all been talking about (LB, OL, DE) and then signing a free agent RB like Derrick Ward (Giants) both him and Brandon Jacobs are free agents, and I doubt that they will be able to afford to keep both. I see them keeping Jacobs, and using Bradshaw as their change of pace back.

Ward could be a starter right away and would be able fit the in the spread if the Chiefs decide to keep it or run btwn the tackles too. Another guy that might be worth bringing in that we dont really have a need for since we have Charles would be Sproles (A bit small, but showed he can carry a load in the Wildcard game) He is originally from Oletha KS, played College ball at KState, and it might be a good reason for him to come back home. (Long shot but you never know haha)

all the talk about the d and stuff stil leaves us without a great WR. Crabtree or bust...

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    all the talk about the d and stuff stil leaves us without a great WR. Crabtree or bust...
    Really? Bowe just had a 86 catch, 1000 yard season with 7 TDs in his second year in the league. He doesn't have great hands, but we can pick up a possession receiver a lot cheaper than a #3 pick.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast