Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Patriots Refusing To Trade CB Asante Samuel?

  1. #1
    Sweets Guest

    Default Patriots Refusing To Trade CB Asante Samuel?


    0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday, the Patriots [team stats] and Asante Samuel [stats] narrowed their options once again in what have been contentious contract talks.
    At 4 p.m., the deadline for teams and franchise players to strike long-term deals came and went with the sides remaining far apart in both money and terms. According to a source, the Patriots have stuck to their offer on what they believe Samuelís value to be, and that has weighed down discussions as it became more apparent that progress was not being made.
    In addition, other teamsí willingness to pay significantly more than the Patriots, or at least say they would if he were on the open market, worked to validate a belief from Samuelís side that heís worth the price of an elite corner. That put the asking price at $30 million over the first three years of a deal.
    The teamís unwillingness to approach that money caused the cornerís camp to spark trade talks. But the Patriots remained resolute in avoiding such a scenario, which meant other teams would have had to sign Samuel to an offer sheet, and surrender two first-round picks to the Pats.
    With the deadline passing, in a way, it should simplify any efforts to get Samuel in the fold for training camp, which opens in 10 days. Samuel is free to sign the one-year, $7.79 million tender, something a source told the Herald he was strongly considering but had been adamant in avoiding.
    So now, there are five ways this situation could go:
    Samuel signs the tender.
    The closer we get to the regular season, the stronger the challenge will be to Samuelís resolve. Samuel barely earned $2 million in his first four years in the league and now has nearly four times that sitting on the table.
    Samuel can sign the tender and reap all $7.79 million as long as he reports before the Sept. 11 opener against the Jets. After that, the money becomes pro-rated.
    Samuel is traded.
    The hitch is that a franchise player can, in fact, get a long-term contract, just not from the team that tagged him. That would seem to strengthen Samuelís desire to force a trade, since there are 31 places where he is allowed to be paid the money he wants and one, Foxboro, where he is not.
    The trouble is throughout the process, the Patriots have remained steadfast in refusing to deal their disgruntled corner. And theyíre probably correct in thinking it would set a bad precedent just one year after Deion Branch shoved his way out of town.
    Samuel sits.
    Neither side wants this at all. Samuel would rather get his money, and the team would rather he sign the one-year tender. This circumstance now sits squarely in between those two options, with the Patriots no longer able to fulfill their franchise playerís desires.
    Once the season starts, there is but one date that carries heavy significance in these dealings - Nov. 11. Thatís Week 10 of the NFL season. Samuel needs to show up at that point to get an accrued season toward his pension and benefits.
    Samuelís tag is removed.
    You can bet that Samuelís camp would do cartwheels if this happened, but it makes very little sense from the teamís standpoint, given that the roster has question marks at the position and Samuel is a valuable commodity.
    Samuel gets an offer sheet.
    Just as unlikely as the tag being torn off, maybe even moreso. Teams just arenít willing to fork over two first-rounders in most circumstances. It wonít happen for Bears linebacker Lance Briggs or Samuel or 99 percent of others pinned with the franchise tag.

    Source: Albert Breer, Boston Herald

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
    Yesterday, the Patriots [team stats] and Asante Samuel [stats] narrowed their options once again in what have been contentious contract talks.
    At 4 p.m., the deadline for teams and franchise players to strike long-term deals came and went with the sides remaining far apart in both money and terms. According to a source, the Patriots have stuck to their offer on what they believe Samuelís value to be, and that has weighed down discussions as it became more apparent that progress was not being made.
    In addition, other teamsí willingness to pay significantly more than the Patriots, or at least say they would if he were on the open market, worked to validate a belief from Samuelís side that heís worth the price of an elite corner. That put the asking price at $30 million over the first three years of a deal.
    The teamís unwillingness to approach that money caused the cornerís camp to spark trade talks. But the Patriots remained resolute in avoiding such a scenario, which meant other teams would have had to sign Samuel to an offer sheet, and surrender two first-round picks to the Pats.
    With the deadline passing, in a way, it should simplify any efforts to get Samuel in the fold for training camp, which opens in 10 days. Samuel is free to sign the one-year, $7.79 million tender, something a source told the Herald he was strongly considering but had been adamant in avoiding.
    So now, there are five ways this situation could go:
    Samuel signs the tender.
    The closer we get to the regular season, the stronger the challenge will be to Samuelís resolve. Samuel barely earned $2 million in his first four years in the league and now has nearly four times that sitting on the table.
    Samuel can sign the tender and reap all $7.79 million as long as he reports before the Sept. 11 opener against the Jets. After that, the money becomes pro-rated.
    Samuel is traded.
    The hitch is that a franchise player can, in fact, get a long-term contract, just not from the team that tagged him. That would seem to strengthen Samuelís desire to force a trade, since there are 31 places where he is allowed to be paid the money he wants and one, Foxboro, where he is not.
    The trouble is throughout the process, the Patriots have remained steadfast in refusing to deal their disgruntled corner. And theyíre probably correct in thinking it would set a bad precedent just one year after Deion Branch shoved his way out of town.
    Samuel sits.
    Neither side wants this at all. Samuel would rather get his money, and the team would rather he sign the one-year tender. This circumstance now sits squarely in between those two options, with the Patriots no longer able to fulfill their franchise playerís desires.
    Once the season starts, there is but one date that carries heavy significance in these dealings - Nov. 11. Thatís Week 10 of the NFL season. Samuel needs to show up at that point to get an accrued season toward his pension and benefits.
    Samuelís tag is removed.
    You can bet that Samuelís camp would do cartwheels if this happened, but it makes very little sense from the teamís standpoint, given that the roster has question marks at the position and Samuel is a valuable commodity.
    Samuel gets an offer sheet.
    Just as unlikely as the tag being torn off, maybe even moreso. Teams just arenít willing to fork over two first-rounders in most circumstances. It wonít happen for Bears linebacker Lance Briggs or Samuel or 99 percent of others pinned with the franchise tag.

    Source: Albert Breer, Boston Herald
    How many CB's have been better than him the last two seasons? I would say that for two years now, he has been right up there with C. Bailey.

    Weird how the Patriots have been in this situation two out of the last three years now. And once again, they will be right there again in the end!!

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    How many CB's have been better than him the last two seasons? I would say that for two years now, he has been right up there with C. Bailey.

    Weird how the Patriots have been in this situation two out of the last three years now. And once again, they will be right there again in the end!!
    ...Can't argue with success.


  4. #4
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,852
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...Can't argue with success.
    Aint that the truth!!!

    I wonder how they will do at that position if Samuel decides to hold out? Eventhough I doubt the hold out will last that long if in fact there is one.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Aint that the truth!!!

    I wonder how they will do at that position if Samuel decides to hold out? Eventhough I doubt the hold out will last that long if in fact there is one.

    It'll probably be like our LJ situation; he'll threaten to hold out, but at the end of the day a deal will get done.


  6. #6
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,106
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the Pats' organization will budge. They want him, for one more season. I think they allow him to hit the market, after this year.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I don't think the Pats' organization will budge. They want him, for one more season. I think they allow him to hit the market, after this year.
    They seemed to have mastered the reload as apposed to the rebuild philosophy.


  8. #8
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    454
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't trade him..but they have to......come on Jets we can do it!
    :character00112:

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,899
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 403

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by timbok View Post
    I wouldn't trade him..but they have to......come on Jets we can do it!
    Who are these "Jets" you speak of. :p


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •