Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Herm not happy with chiefs GM search lol

Default Herm not happy with chiefs GM search lol

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...efs-gm-search/

From the sounds of this looks like we will continue not to spend any money to bring in some free agent talent...oh well what's new

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    Point taken. However, I am not opposed to free agency. I actually think there will be many young studs in this year's FA. So it is just a matter of the Chiefs grabbing the right ones since we have the money to do so.

What about the 1980's 49ers? I was born in the late 80s so I did not learn about what happened during that time. However, they won 4 superbowls in one decade, but was it from FA, draft, or a combo? The reason I ask is because that is what I want the Chiefs to be. A dynasty that constantly goes to the Superbowl.
    FA didn't originate until 1993! The only successful dynasty in the FA period was/is the Pats. We should use them as a template (a glut of FAs to start, then the draft and good trading to stay).

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    FA didn't originate until 1993! The only successful dynasty in the FA period was/is the Pats. We should use them as a template (a glut of FAs to start, then the draft and good trading to stay).
    Ah, this makes more sense now. Patriots are nice, I just think it is hard to emulate what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Except that:

1. The Giants, while drafting well, built large portions of their offense and defense through FA (Burress, McQuarters, Pierce, etc.).

2. The Pats, while drafting well, can attribute their SBs to excellent FA/trade classes (McGinnest, Bruschi, Corey Dillon, etc.).

3. The Bucs, while drafting well, can attribute its SB to an influx of FAs/trades (Rice, Brad Johnson, Keyshawn, etc.).

4. The Rams, while drafting well, also brought in a large number of FAs during its SB years.

SB losers like the Raiders, Panthers, and Titans built their teams, in large part, using FA.

Believe it or not, FA is as important as the draft in building a team. FA builds the team, the draft keeps you on top.

It isn't the other way around.
    Each of these teams had a solid foundation for which free agents could be added to make a solid impact on the team. Adding a bunch of high priced free agents to a team that has nothing to build on is EXACTLY what the Raiders did last year. Now, that team is stuck because their hands are tied with ZERO cap space. They can't do hardly ANYTHING this year to improve that team. While the Chiefs have the most money to spend and a young, solid foundation on which to build.

Last year would've been a HORRIBLE year to sign high priced free agents. Plus, who was out there that you're just dying to have on this team? All the top, YOUNG OTs were re-signed by for at least another year or franchised by their original organizations. Now, some of them like Stacy Andrews, Jordan Gross, Davis Stewart, and Maxx Starks will be on the market again, along with this year's crop of free agents.

There weren't any DEs on the market which is why we got the package we got for Allen.

The good YOUNG OLBs either didn't hit the market or were franchised. Of the LBs who were FAs last season, Suggs, Dansby, and Boley will be back on the market again this season. Only Briggs and Pace were removed from the market for the long-term.

There were absolutely ZERO good YOUNG MLBs on the market last season.

DTs were in low supply as well. Haynesworth was franchised and will be on the market this year again. The Raiders set the market for DTs when they signed Tommy Kelly to a ridiculous contract and that would've killed anyone else who signed DTs last season.

There were a couple young OGs last season like Jacob Bell who signed with the Rams and Rex Hadnot who signed with the Browns. But everyone else was over 31 like Faneca.

There was A safety on the market in Gibril Wilson, but I'd rather let the Raiders overpay for guys like him.

The only QB to hit the market was Pennington and he would've been hurt just like Croyle was behind that line.

There were a couple CBs, but we already had Surtain and I was happy with Flowers, Carr and Leggett. We wouldn't have known anything about those guys had we signed a Deangelo Hall or somebody like that.

(This year's crop is on a new thread entitled "2009 free agent targets")

Herm said in his post season wrap up that the Chiefs would not be participating in free agency. I have to believe they will need to if they want to be competitive. They not only have more holes to fill than the draft will allow, they also need a couple of guys with experience to teach these guys not to do the things that Johnson has been doing!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Herm said in his post season wrap up that the Chiefs would not be participating in free agency. I have to believe they will need to if they want to be competitive. They not only have more holes to fill than the draft will allow, they also need a couple of guys with experience to teach these guys not to do the things that Johnson has been doing!
    Edwards in fact said the EXACT opposite. He believes THIS season is the season to get some good young free agents in here to help the organization. I think you misunderstood him.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Edwards in fact said the EXACT opposite. He believes THIS season is the season to get some good young free agents in here to help the organization. I think you misunderstood him.
    Sorry it is late and I put a NOT in where I should not have. You are right and it is what I meant to say, looks like my fingers have a mind of their own tonight.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

“I want a new G.M. who believes in building the team through the draft with young players.”

...Anything that gets rid of Herm.

who cares what herm wants...he won't be around for much longer anyways thank god

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstillidie View Post
    who cares what herm wants...he won't be around for much longer anyways thank god
    Oh yeah, he'll be gone by the end of... when again?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Oh yeah, he'll be gone by the end of... when again?
    When the chiefs land a new GM!!!!drrrrrr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast