Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Herm not happy with chiefs GM search lol

Default Herm not happy with chiefs GM search lol

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...efs-gm-search/

From the sounds of this looks like we will continue not to spend any money to bring in some free agent talent...oh well what's new

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstillidie View Post
    When the chiefs land a new GM!!!!drrrrrr
    oh.... :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    oh.... :rolleyes:

haha

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Herm is not happy? oh no! We cant have Herm not happy! It must take an aweful lot to make Herm unhappy since I havent heard him say that this season was a disappointment. All I hear him talk about is progress! I think Herm needs to get his priorities straight about whats making him happy and unhappy! To bad college coaches werent available in the college draft!

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Except that:

1. The Giants, while drafting well, built large portions of their offense and defense through FA (Burress, McQuarters, Pierce, etc.).

2. The Pats, while drafting well, can attribute their SBs to excellent FA/trade classes (McGinnest, Bruschi, Corey Dillon, etc.).

3. The Bucs, while drafting well, can attribute its SB to an influx of FAs/trades (Rice, Brad Johnson, Keyshawn, etc.).

4. The Rams, while drafting well, also brought in a large number of FAs during its SB years.

SB losers like the Raiders, Panthers, and Titans built their teams, in large part, using FA.

Believe it or not, FA is as important as the draft in building a team. FA builds the team, the draft keeps you on top.

It isn't the other way around.
    I don't agree, I still believe building through the draft is much better, and added free agents to fill a few holes.
    In you example, Teddy Bruschi and McGinest were drafted by the Pats, not free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by qfactor87 View Post
    I don't agree, I still believe building through the draft is much better, and added free agents to fill a few holes.
    In you example, Teddy Bruschi and McGinest were drafted by the Pats, not free agents.
    You are, of course, right about Bruschi and McGinnest. I was thinking of their other two LBs, Vrabel and Phifer.

FAs at starting positions for the Pats in 2001:

Joe Andruzzi: RG
    Mike Compton: LG
    Jermaine Wiggins: TE
    David Patten: 2WR
    Antowain Smith: RB
    Marc Edwards: FB
    Bobbi Hamilton: LDE
    Anthony Pleasant: RDE
    Mike Vrabel: LOLB
    Roman Phifer: ROLB
    Otis Smith: 2CB

Or 11 out of 22.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Each of these teams had a solid foundation for which free agents could be added to make a solid impact on the team. Adding a bunch of high priced free agents to a team that has nothing to build on is EXACTLY what the Raiders did last year. Now, that team is stuck because their hands are tied with ZERO cap space. They can't do hardly ANYTHING this year to improve that team. While the Chiefs have the most money to spend and a young, solid foundation on which to build.

Last year would've been a HORRIBLE year to sign high priced free agents. Plus, who was out there that you're just dying to have on this team? All the top, YOUNG OTs were re-signed by for at least another year or franchised by their original organizations. Now, some of them like Stacy Andrews, Jordan Gross, Davis Stewart, and Maxx Starks will be on the market again, along with this year's crop of free agents.

There weren't any DEs on the market which is why we got the package we got for Allen.

The good YOUNG OLBs either didn't hit the market or were franchised. Of the LBs who were FAs last season, Suggs, Dansby, and Boley will be back on the market again this season. Only Briggs and Pace were removed from the market for the long-term.

There were absolutely ZERO good YOUNG MLBs on the market last season.

DTs were in low supply as well. Haynesworth was franchised and will be on the market this year again. The Raiders set the market for DTs when they signed Tommy Kelly to a ridiculous contract and that would've killed anyone else who signed DTs last season.

There were a couple young OGs last season like Jacob Bell who signed with the Rams and Rex Hadnot who signed with the Browns. But everyone else was over 31 like Faneca.

There was A safety on the market in Gibril Wilson, but I'd rather let the Raiders overpay for guys like him.

The only QB to hit the market was Pennington and he would've been hurt just like Croyle was behind that line.

There were a couple CBs, but we already had Surtain and I was happy with Flowers, Carr and Leggett. We wouldn't have known anything about those guys had we signed a Deangelo Hall or somebody like that.

(This year's crop is on a new thread entitled "2009 free agent targets")
    I wasn't criticizing our lack of FA movements last year - entirely. I though we should have gone after Kawika Mitchell, Alan Faneca, kept Casey Weigmann, Bernard Berrian (I didn't know Bradley would eventually join the team, obviously), and Jake Scott. Not all of those are young, but they would have been very decent players for us for the next five years.

I've mostly criticized our draft from last year and have exhorted the Chiefs to jump into FA this year.

I think the absolute dearth of FA talent at the DT and DE positions is probably the best proof that the JA trade was idiotic, but we could argue that until the end of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I think the absolute dearth of FA talent at the DT and DE positions is probably the best proof that the JA trade was idiotic, but we could argue that until the end of time.
    Well we have Peterson to thank for the Allen trade. I think he was the reason Allen got pissed and decided that he would hold out.

And hold out is what he would have done. Peterson slapped him with the franchise tag without even inquiring about his cost.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123