Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Free Agent Targets

Default 2009 Free Agent Targets

THIS YEAR'S CROP, is a MUCH deeper group of free agents than the 2008 group. Of the positions the Chiefs will look to fill, these are the top (YOUNG) players at their position who will be available:

OT
    Jordan Gross 28- Panthers
    Willie Colon 26- Pittsburgh
    Kahlif Barnes 27- Jacksonville
    Vernon Carey 27- Miami
    Maxx Starks 26- Pittsburgh
    Charles Spencer 27- Jacksonville

OG
    Stacy Andrews 27- Cincinatti
    Jarhi Evans 25- New Orleans
    Mark Setterstrom 24- St. Louis
    Chris Kemoeatu 28- Pittsburgh

C
    Jason Brown 26- Baltimore
    Richie Incognito 26- St. Louis

DT
    Albert Haynesworth 28- Tennessee
    Javon Haye 27- Tampa Bay
    Tank Johnson 27- Dallas

DE
    Terrell Suggs 27- Baltimore
    Julius Peppers 28- Carolina
    Chris Canty 27- Dallas
    Kenechi Udeze 26- Minnesota

OLB
    Bart Scott 28- Baltimore
    Karlos Dansby 27- Arizona
    Michael Boley 27- Atlanta
    Leroy Hill 26- Seattle
    Angelo Crowell 28- Buffalo

MLB
    Jonathan Vilma 26- New Orleans
    Channing Crowder 25- Miami

S
    Oshiomogho Atogwe 27- St. Louis
    Sean Jones 27- Cleveland
    Dawan Landry 26- Baltimore
    Jarrad Page 26- Kansas City (Currently ranked equal to Landry, Jones, Will Allen Darren Sharper and Rodney Harrison)... according to scout.com
    Will Allen 27- Tampa Bay

CB
    Nnamdi Asomugha 28- Oakland

I'm much more excited about the 2009 class than what the 2008 class had to offer.

If I'm the GM and I can get ANYONE I want, I proceed through free agency this way:

As of 1/1/09
    RT- Willie Colon
    RG- Jahri Evans
    DE- Terrell Suggs
    OLB- Bart Scott OR Karlos Vilma
    MLB- Jonathan Vilma

With the first two picks in the draft (assuming we can't trade down) the Chiefs take:
    3- WR- Michael Crabtree OR CB Malcom Jenkins
    35- C Alex Mack OR C Max Unger

OL
    Albert
    Waters
    Mack/Unger
    Jahri Evans
    Willie Colon

WR
    Crabtree
    Bowe
    Bradley

DL
    Hali
    Tank
    Dorsey
    Suggs

LB
    Johnson
    Vilma
    Scott/Dansby

CB
    Flowers
    Carr

S
    Pollard
    Page/Morgan

I like the way your defense would shape up. I also find interesting that you would move Bowe to the #2 spot behind a rookie. Bowe does have slippery hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I like the way your defense would shape up. I also find interesting that you would move Bowe to the #2 spot behind a rookie. Bowe does have slippery hands.
    I've just watched Crabtree too much this season. He catches anything in the same zip code. He really is a #1 WR. I think that might help Bowe out as well. I think he puts too much pressure on himself and may not be ready to be a true #1. He wasn't a true #1 at LSU either. Crabtree is an unbelievable talent and not only could he fill a hole, but he might also be the best player available at #3. WRs are just as big of a risk as QBs, but IMO, at only a sophomore, Crabtree could be the most complete WR to come out in years. I think he's a can't miss prospect. I view him as just as safe as any OT that could be taken at #3.

I like Suggs and Vilma. Great combo to boost the defense. I am not so sure on OLB since I am thinking that the Chiefs might benefit choosing Curry in the first round. Up to the Combine I guess. I also like Vernon Carey at RT more than Colon, even though Carey is a little older. Carey, to me, brings more stability. I do not trust anyone from the Steelers line this season.
    But I totally agree with Mack in the second round, especially if we go defense first round.

I would like Page back, but if we can get Landry (I think Baltimore will re-sign him), then I am up in the air as to who is better. I know Landry played SS for Baltimore, but has the range to play FS, at least in my eyes.

Main priority though should be Suggs and Vilma.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I like Suggs and Vilma. Great combo to boost the defense. I am not so sure on OLB since I am thinking that the Chiefs might benefit choosing Curry in the first round. Up to the Combine I guess. I also like Vernon Carey at RT more than Colon, even though Carey is a little older. Carey, to me, brings more stability. I do not trust anyone from the Steelers line this season.
    But I totally agree with Mack in the second round, especially if we go defense first round.

I would like Page back, but if we can get Landry (I think Baltimore will re-sign him), then I am up in the air as to who is better. I know Landry played SS for Baltimore, but has the range to play FS, at least in my eyes.

Main priority though should be Suggs and Vilma.
    As long as the Chiefs have the cap room, I think they should fill as many holes as possible with the exception of two which could be filled with the first two picks in the draft. Really, any combo would work so long as we can take a WR, OT or OLB with the 3rd pick. I'm afraid if we complete the O-line (at least in the eyes of the front office) that it would convince them to take a QB with the #3 pick. That REALLY has me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    As long as the Chiefs have the cap room, I think they should fill as many holes as possible with the exception of two which could be filled with the first two picks in the draft. Really, any combo would work so long as we can take a WR, OT or OLB with the 3rd pick. I'm afraid if we complete the O-line (at least in the eyes of the front office) that it would convince them to take a QB with the #3 pick. That REALLY has me nervous.
    True, but we will get a better picture once we see the new GM. However, I think many of those linemen will not be available since most teams do not let go of good linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    True, but we will get a better picture once we see the new GM. However, I think many of those linemen will not be available since most teams do not let go of good linemen.
    its hard to know what to REALLY want.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    its hard to know what to REALLY want.
    Here's to hoping that Clark will pick the perfect candidate, (enter name here).

I dont think Suggs fits guys. I might be wrong, but their is no way he could play end in a 4-3 and he has never soley played a true Linebacker position. Teams usually dont aquire guys that dont fit the system (especially Herm.) I dont think we touch him. I would actually love to have Karlos Dansby. Hes a leader.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I dont think Suggs fits guys. I might be wrong, but their is no way he could play end in a 4-3 and he has never soley played a true Linebacker position. Teams usually dont aquire guys that dont fit the system (especially Herm.) I dont think we touch him. I would actually love to have Karlos Dansby. Hes a leader.
    Dansby is good, but Vilma is an overall better ILB. If Dansby can play outside, then yeah, we'll take him.

While Suggs could be a risk, it is one that could really pay off. We can offer him more money at DE than at OLB hybrid. He played DE in college and plays sometimes with his hand down for the Ravens. He is 6'3" at 260 lbs, which makes him ideal for the RDE pass rusher. He has a high motor and brings intensity to the field. So I'm willing to take a risk on him. If not him, then it may be Julius Peppers, but he'll be 29 next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast