Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: pioli meets with the chiefs

Default pioli meets with the chiefs

Pats' Pioli reportedly interviews with KC

Associated Press

Updated: January 5, 2009, 6:12 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Scott Pioli, who helped build the New England Patriots' dynasty, may have a second suitor among teams looking for general managers.
    Pioli, 43, met with the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday, persons with knowledge of the meeting told The Associated Press. They requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Pioli.
    The vice president for player personnel at New England, Pioli is close to Patriots coach Bill Belichick and has been with the Patriots for nine years. He's also been courted by the Cleveland Browns for their GM vacancy and met with Browns owner Randy Lerner last week in New York.
    Pioli would find a warm welcome in Kansas City. At the last Chiefs' home game, shortly after the embattled Carl Peterson resigned after 20 years as president, general manager and CEO, several signs were spotted in the crowd proclaiming, "We want Pioli."
    Chiefs owner and board chairman Clark Hunt should be in good position to get a read on Pioli. One of the closest friends the 43-year-old son of Lamar Hunt has among NFL owners is Jonathan Kraft, the president of the Patriots and son of owner Robert Kraft.
    While Pioli may be very high on Hunt's list, he's not alone. But unlike Lerner, who has willingly shared information with reporters, Hunt has kept his search almost entirely leak-proof, instructing subordinates that only he is to speak to the situation.
    In his only meeting with reporters since Peterson resigned Dec. 15, Hunt said he intended to be more directly involved in Chiefs operations than in the past, but that the new general manager would have broad control of all football operations.
    Hunt also said he intended to split the job Peterson had held and put a second person in charge of the team's business operations, a plan which could conflict with Pioli's desire to have total control.
    Hunt also said he would be thorough and patient in making his first major decision since becoming board chairman following the death of his father in December 2006.
    In the meantime, the fate of head coach Herm Edwards and his staff remains uncertain. In the first year of a rebuilding effort to which Hunt gave his blessing, the Chiefs suffered a rash of injuries and finished 2-14, the worst season in team history. They are 6-26 the past two years but Edwards has one year left on a four-year, $12 million contract and is lobbying to be allowed another year to get his rebuilding movement off the ground.
    Hunt makes no secret of the fact he likes Edwards. But he has also said the new general manager would have "significant input" into the decision on whether to retain him.
    Regardless of the coaching situation, it's easy to see why Pioli would find the Chiefs attractive.
    For one thing, they have stable ownership. The team has been in the Hunt family since Lamar founded it at the same time he helped found the old AFL 50 years ago. Clark, like his father, is not a meddler.
    In addition, the Chiefs have one of the most enthusiastic and loyal fan bases in the league, and will play next year in a refurbished stadium. Arrowhead, opened in the early 1970s, is undergoing a $325 million renovation which includes a plush new headquarters building, weight and conditioning areas, and expanded indoor and outdoor practice facilities.
    And along with several promising young players Edwards acquired in the past two years, the Chiefs have the third overall pick in this year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Did he order the videotaping? Did he hold the camera? I don't know what you expect here man. The New England Patriots got caught videotaping some stuff. Is it really all that it was blown up to be? Can you tell me that you honestly believe than no player on the Chiefs has ever used a performance enhancing drug? Yet here you are still on your high horse complaining about something that never should have been blown into the proportions that it was. Integrity in the NFL went out the window when it became a multi million dollar business my friend.
    Exactly....Commissioner Goodell holds high expectations for the NFL and he doesn't care what allcolades you have received, who you are....he will fine ya, punish ya, and embarrass ya. ...and what happened to the Patriots with the spygate ordeal? They would have lost 2nd round draft pick if they made the playoffs...which they didnt. Bill was fined half a mil...which he wipes his *** with. And the whole team fined a quarter mil. I think these are all correct. But for someone like Goodell who loves to fine and punish everyone in the 'no fun league'...these punishments were light....why? BECAUSE THE FILM SHOWED SH!T!! He sat down with the guy who supposedly filmed these practices and all he got from the film is what flavor of Gatorade the Rams were drinking. Goodell had to punish the team so that the rest of the league, inlcuding people like YOU would stop crying.

I hope we hire Pioli....then what? Are you not going to be a Chiefs fan?

Pioli had nothing to do with it, its the coaching staff that would take charge like that. However, I wouldn't say Goodell goes off on everyone... i.e. certain WR's being fined for props/NE's very miniscule punishment for the NY evidence/poor ref calls. Goodell hates on players/teams that have a history or come off as inappropriate, but he certainly does take leniency with those "good boy" players/teams who present themselves well when they're in the camera shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    Exactly....Commissioner Goodell holds high expectations for the NFL and he doesn't care what allcolades you have received, who you are....he will fine ya, punish ya, and embarrass ya. ...and what happened to the Patriots with the spygate ordeal? They would have lost 2nd round draft pick if they made the playoffs...which they didnt. Bill was fined half a mil...which he wipes his *** with. And the whole team fined a quarter mil. I think these are all correct. But for someone like Goodell who loves to fine and punish everyone in the 'no fun league'...these punishments were light....why? BECAUSE THE FILM SHOWED SH!T!! He sat down with the guy who supposedly filmed these practices and all he got from the film is what flavor of Gatorade the Rams were drinking. Goodell had to punish the team so that the rest of the league, inlcuding people like YOU would stop crying.

The Patriots went to the Super Bowl that year and had to give up their first round because of Spygate. I do not know about the fines but your numbers look right from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    Pioli had nothing to do with it, its the coaching staff that would take charge like that. However, I wouldn't say Goodell goes off on everyone... i.e. certain WR's being fined for props/NE's very miniscule punishment for the NY evidence/poor ref calls. Goodell hates on players/teams that have a history or come off as inappropriate, but he certainly does take leniency with those "good boy" players/teams who present themselves well when they're in the camera shot.
    Wes Welker....snow angels? I would consider Wes one of the 'good boys.'

It's a rule that you can't touch the ground, I would consider smothering the ground a strong break of that. It was also after they were kicking the crap out of Arizona. Light-Crowder "fight", Crowder fined/suspended, Light back in practice cause it was reported Crowder said something bad that couldn't be reported anywhere. Jared Allen has been fined a couple times (including the Schaub hit), even though an offensive lineman chop blocked him late without any problems.

Is this directed at me?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Is this directed at me?
    No sir. The DAS fella who can't let the cheating thing go. Sorry for any confusion!

No sir. The DAS fella who can't let the cheating thing go. Sorry for any confusion!
    I have been boozin' all day and I wrote a doozy of a response then I think I noticed that it might not be directed at me and deleted it.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

pioli is a top notch canidate for the job he had a lot to do with the success new england has enjoyed over the years.i would love to have him as our next gm there are some other people i like for the job as well.but he knows what he is doing and i did not know it but guess who his father in law is bill freaking parcells so he has learned from the best

...Hunt also said he intended to split the job Peterson had held and put a second person in charge of the team's business operations, a plan which could conflict with Pioli's desire to have total control...
    I hope Clark doesn't mess up our chances of getting Pioli by doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    I hope we don't get him because he's from the cheaters. There was a post about that but it was getting nasty so I checked out of the conversation. I really think he'll come in next year. He will probably be a GM next year since he's been interviewing and seems interested. Only a few teams need a GM. Only two are courting him (CLE and KC). CLE looks like they are more interested in picking up someone else. KC seems to have no interest in anyone else and since Clark Hunt is buddies with the cheaters front office he has connections to make this deal happen. I hope he goes anywhere else but I'll give him a chance if he doesn't cheat here and stops being a whinny excuse making baby. The last thing we need in KC is more excuses. We'll all likely die of excuse making if we combine spygate Pioli and horrible Herm Edwards. At least Carl Peterson wasn't big on excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    I don't care what's getting old. A cheater is a cheater and his shame should paraded before the world so everyone can see his poor character. And I further said I would give him a chance if he cleans up his act.
    I don't see cheating happening here. Lamar would not have gone for something like that and I doubt his boy would if he's anything like his dad. I could be wrong but I just don't see a Hunt looking the other way or endorsing that.
    He has had his hand slapped already, he wouldn't do it in KC. Enough already with calling him a cheater! He made the Patriots into a team to be hated; you should kiss the ground he walks on if Clark hires him.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Except Pioli had absolutely nothing do with Spygate, except that he works for the same franchise.

People who don't want a personnel guy based on something the HC did need to have their heads examined.
    Amen.
    ...I hope we hire Pioli....then what? Are you not going to be a Chiefs fan?
    I'm listening D.A.S., if Pioli gets hired does it mean that you aren't a chiefs fan?
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast