Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: pioli meets with the chiefs

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,468
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

    Default pioli meets with the chiefs


    0 Not allowed!
    Pats' Pioli reportedly interviews with KC

    Associated Press






    Updated: January 5, 2009, 6:12 PM ET



    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Scott Pioli, who helped build the New England Patriots' dynasty, may have a second suitor among teams looking for general managers.
    Pioli, 43, met with the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday, persons with knowledge of the meeting told The Associated Press. They requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Pioli.
    The vice president for player personnel at New England, Pioli is close to Patriots coach Bill Belichick and has been with the Patriots for nine years. He's also been courted by the Cleveland Browns for their GM vacancy and met with Browns owner Randy Lerner last week in New York.
    Pioli would find a warm welcome in Kansas City. At the last Chiefs' home game, shortly after the embattled Carl Peterson resigned after 20 years as president, general manager and CEO, several signs were spotted in the crowd proclaiming, "We want Pioli."
    Chiefs owner and board chairman Clark Hunt should be in good position to get a read on Pioli. One of the closest friends the 43-year-old son of Lamar Hunt has among NFL owners is Jonathan Kraft, the president of the Patriots and son of owner Robert Kraft.
    While Pioli may be very high on Hunt's list, he's not alone. But unlike Lerner, who has willingly shared information with reporters, Hunt has kept his search almost entirely leak-proof, instructing subordinates that only he is to speak to the situation.
    In his only meeting with reporters since Peterson resigned Dec. 15, Hunt said he intended to be more directly involved in Chiefs operations than in the past, but that the new general manager would have broad control of all football operations.
    Hunt also said he intended to split the job Peterson had held and put a second person in charge of the team's business operations, a plan which could conflict with Pioli's desire to have total control.
    Hunt also said he would be thorough and patient in making his first major decision since becoming board chairman following the death of his father in December 2006.
    In the meantime, the fate of head coach Herm Edwards and his staff remains uncertain. In the first year of a rebuilding effort to which Hunt gave his blessing, the Chiefs suffered a rash of injuries and finished 2-14, the worst season in team history. They are 6-26 the past two years but Edwards has one year left on a four-year, $12 million contract and is lobbying to be allowed another year to get his rebuilding movement off the ground.
    Hunt makes no secret of the fact he likes Edwards. But he has also said the new general manager would have "significant input" into the decision on whether to retain him.
    Regardless of the coaching situation, it's easy to see why Pioli would find the Chiefs attractive.
    For one thing, they have stable ownership. The team has been in the Hunt family since Lamar founded it at the same time he helped found the old AFL 50 years ago. Clark, like his father, is not a meddler.
    In addition, the Chiefs have one of the most enthusiastic and loyal fan bases in the league, and will play next year in a refurbished stadium. Arrowhead, opened in the early 1970s, is undergoing a $325 million renovation which includes a plush new headquarters building, weight and conditioning areas, and expanded indoor and outdoor practice facilities.
    And along with several promising young players Edwards acquired in the past two years, the Chiefs have the third overall pick in this year's draft.

  2. #41
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    559
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Mort just reported on ESPN that he believes that Pioli is Kansas City bound and if not, he will remain in NE.

  3. #42
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    Mort just reported on ESPN that he believes that Pioli is Kansas City bound and if not, he will remain in NE.
    Link?

  4. #43
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    559
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Link?
    It was on Sports Center. Which means there will be 5 more opportunities to watch it again today.

  5. #44
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    It was on Sports Center. Which means there will be 5 more opportunities to watch it again today.
    Ah. I'm at work - I'll check later. Thanks!

  6. #45
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    122
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    Mort just reported on ESPN that he believes that Pioli is Kansas City bound and if not, he will remain in NE.
    best news i've heard all day! i hope it's true!

  7. #46
    Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)
    Posts
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    No offense, but talking to some of you is like talking to a pack of monkeys. I don't even no what conversation your in. I have to keep saying the same thing over and over and over and then have to say it again. Catch up or check out. I can't stand constantly repeating myself.

  8. #47
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    180
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    haste makes waste, bro

  9. #48
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I got this off another forum that another person posted and said he got it from another forum hehehe.



    "Okay gang, as many of you know I still have friends at the highest
    level in the Chiefs organization and have this info to share with full confidence: Scott Pioli is the new GM. His announcement will come Thursday or Friday at the latest. Clark and Scott are working out the finer points of his contract tonight, but the deal is sealed. Also, Clark informed Herm Edwards and his coaching staff that they will be released. All assistants can reapply through Scott.

    I only share this information because I'm no longer with the team and it's fun to share that a new day is dawning at Arrowhead. Scott Pioli will quickly move to clean out the front office and hire a new coach.

    The only info I have on the new coach is it will not be Kirk Ferentz from the Iowa Hawkeyes. Kirk coaches his son at Iowa and does not want to leave until his son graduates. Mike Shanahan has contacted Pioli, but I don't know any info beyond that."




    Lets hope we get BOTH Pioli AND Shanahan.Looks like Shanahan is looking to screw old Denver out of some money and a few games for at least the next three years HAHAHA

  10. #49
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    I got this off another forum that another person posted and said he got it from another forum hehehe.



    "Okay gang, as many of you know I still have friends at the highest level in the Chiefs organization and have this info to share with full confidence: Scott Pioli is the new GM. His announcement will come Thursday or Friday at the latest. Clark and Scott are working out the finer points of his contract tonight, but the deal is sealed. Also, Clark informed Herm Edwards and his coaching staff that they will be released. All assistants can reapply through Scott.

    I only share this information because I'm no longer with the team and it's fun to share that a new day is dawning at Arrowhead. Scott Pioli will quickly move to clean out the front office and hire a new coach.

    The only info I have on the new coach is it will not be Kirk Ferentz from the Iowa Hawkeyes. Kirk coaches his son at Iowa and does not want to leave until his son graduates. Mike Shanahan has contacted Pioli, but I don't know any info beyond that."




    Lets hope we get BOTH Pioli AND Shanahan.Looks like Shanahan is looking to screw old Denver out of some money and a few games for at least the next three years HAHAHA
    I know this is thirdhand and all, but please let it be true!

  11. #50
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,044
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 436

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    No offense, but talking to some of you is like talking to a pack of monkeys. I don't even no what conversation your in. I have to keep saying the same thing over and over and over and then have to say it again. Catch up or check out. I can't stand constantly repeating myself.

    Then don't; problem solved.


Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •