Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on G.M. prospects... and Gun

Default More on G.M. prospects... and Gun

We all know the Chiefs interviewed Pioli, but I highly doubt he accepts the job. Pioli is lookin for a lot more than I think Hunt is willing to give up at this point. I think he has seeked out the opinion of people he trusts (Schottenheimer) and has a formula in mind which splits Peterson's duties. Pioli wants full control and I just don't see that happening.

On "1st and 10" this morning on ESPN, they said the Chiefs plan to interview San Diego's director of college scouting, Jimmy Ray for the GM position. That was confirmed by Adam Schefter of the NFLN, who also said he has confirmed entries of his own. Other than Ray and Pioli, Schefter says that the Buccaneers' Director of Pro Personnel, Mark Dominik and Colts VP of Operations Chris Polian are also candidates.

I've read around the net on Fox, ESPN, etc and apparently Clark Hunt's approach to finding his new GM is getting praise from around the league. The one constant that I've heard since the search began is that Clark Hunt is COMMITTED to continue building this team through the draft. If you look at the candidates that are being mentioned, they are all considered great talent evaluators and not necessarily shrewd business men which only reaffirms that notion.

There was also a report on Foxsports.com that says regardless of who the head coach is, Gunther Cunningham and his defensive staff WILL NOT be retained.
    Last edited by texaschief; 01-06-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Well, that could be good, but in his defense, it wasn't Gun's choice to get rid of our #1 pass rusher.

Still, perhaps with a fresh guy in there as DC, it will fire the guys up this next season.

jb

If any coach should be leaving, it is definitely Gun. He has been here too long and not been effective since Schottenheimer's time.

But I am glad the Chiefs are not taking Pioli. He wanted Carl's job and that is one reason why we ran into many problems. Split the jobs. Hunt is doing the right thing which makes me confident that this team will get back on track.

Can you tell us anything about the others being considered for the position?

actually i seen on espn that pioli said he was very excited about the job opening at kansas city and that he was it was very intresting to him. But on the other hand i posted a thread earlier this week about a thread saying clark would take his time so he's not gonna make any quick decisions on pioli or anyone just yet. I do like the guy that texas chiefs posted about. The guy from indy..i think he would be a great fit for kansas city as well.

I've read around the net on Fox, ESPN, etc and apparently Clark Hunt's approach to finding his new GM is getting praise from around the league. The one constant that I've heard since the search began is that Clark Hunt is COMMITTED to continue building this team through the draft. If you look at the candidates that are being mentioned, they are all considered great talent evaluators and not necessarily shrewd business men which only reaffirms that notion.

That's fine but it still doesn't mean herm edwards is going to be the one doing it though!!! I'm all for them going with more young guys and building with the guys they have. They just need a head coach who knows how to actually use the young guys
    !

Yeah, I was too young in the 90's to be able to judge Cunningham's coaching abilities. As the head coach, he wasn't able to do much either. I was excited to see him come back earlier this decade as the DC because I knew he was the DC when the defense here used to be dominant. But I really haven't been impressed with the guy's ability to get the most out of his players. I understand (probably more than anyone here ) about injuries being detrimental to ones coaching decisions, but when you compare what he was able to get out of his talent compared to what Chan Gailey was able to get out of his, there is definitely a gap in abilities. It gets difficult sometime to find a reference point when it comes to coaches because the coaching has been so bad here in KC for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstillidie View Post

That's fine but it still doesn't mean herm edwards is going to be the one doing it though!!! I'm all for them going with more young guys and building with the guys they have. They just need a head coach who knows how to actually use the young guys
    !
    Did you see me connect that in anyway to Herm Edwards? While that definitely DOES help his security, that wasn't the point I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Did you see me connect that in anyway to Herm Edwards? While that definitely DOES help his security, that wasn't the point I was making.

dude i wasn't assuming that you were referring to herm edwards. And it wasn't for you it was for all the herm edwards lovers out there who want him to stay! Yes it does help his security but like i said it just depends on who the next gm is on to whether he is staying or not!

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    We all know the Chiefs interviewed Pioli, but I highly doubt he accepts the job. Pioli is lookin for a lot more than I think Hunt is willing to give up at this point. I think he has seeked out the opinion of people he trusts (Schottenheimer) and has a formula in mind which splits Peterson's duties. Pioli wants full control and I just don't see that happening.

On "1st and 10" this morning on ESPN, they said the Chiefs plan to interview San Diego's director of college scouting, Jimmy Ray for the GM position. That was confirmed by Adam Schefter of the NFLN, who also said he has confirmed entries of his own. Other than Ray and Pioli, Schefter says that the Buccaneers' Director of Pro Personnel, Mark Dominik and Colts VP of Operations Chris Polian are also candidates.

There was also a report on Foxsports.com that says regardless of who the head coach is, Gunther Cunningham and his defensive staff WILL NOT be retained.
    Didnt I say Jimmy Raye, Tex? That was my guy from the beginning

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Didnt I say Jimmy Raye, Tex? That was my guy from the beginning
    I do remember you saying you like someone from the Chargers. Jimmy Ray isn't exactly a name I'd remember. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast