Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: pioli meets with the chiefs

Default pioli meets with the chiefs

Pats' Pioli reportedly interviews with KC

Associated Press

Updated: January 5, 2009, 6:12 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Scott Pioli, who helped build the New England Patriots' dynasty, may have a second suitor among teams looking for general managers.
    Pioli, 43, met with the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday, persons with knowledge of the meeting told The Associated Press. They requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Pioli.
    The vice president for player personnel at New England, Pioli is close to Patriots coach Bill Belichick and has been with the Patriots for nine years. He's also been courted by the Cleveland Browns for their GM vacancy and met with Browns owner Randy Lerner last week in New York.
    Pioli would find a warm welcome in Kansas City. At the last Chiefs' home game, shortly after the embattled Carl Peterson resigned after 20 years as president, general manager and CEO, several signs were spotted in the crowd proclaiming, "We want Pioli."
    Chiefs owner and board chairman Clark Hunt should be in good position to get a read on Pioli. One of the closest friends the 43-year-old son of Lamar Hunt has among NFL owners is Jonathan Kraft, the president of the Patriots and son of owner Robert Kraft.
    While Pioli may be very high on Hunt's list, he's not alone. But unlike Lerner, who has willingly shared information with reporters, Hunt has kept his search almost entirely leak-proof, instructing subordinates that only he is to speak to the situation.
    In his only meeting with reporters since Peterson resigned Dec. 15, Hunt said he intended to be more directly involved in Chiefs operations than in the past, but that the new general manager would have broad control of all football operations.
    Hunt also said he intended to split the job Peterson had held and put a second person in charge of the team's business operations, a plan which could conflict with Pioli's desire to have total control.
    Hunt also said he would be thorough and patient in making his first major decision since becoming board chairman following the death of his father in December 2006.
    In the meantime, the fate of head coach Herm Edwards and his staff remains uncertain. In the first year of a rebuilding effort to which Hunt gave his blessing, the Chiefs suffered a rash of injuries and finished 2-14, the worst season in team history. They are 6-26 the past two years but Edwards has one year left on a four-year, $12 million contract and is lobbying to be allowed another year to get his rebuilding movement off the ground.
    Hunt makes no secret of the fact he likes Edwards. But he has also said the new general manager would have "significant input" into the decision on whether to retain him.
    Regardless of the coaching situation, it's easy to see why Pioli would find the Chiefs attractive.
    For one thing, they have stable ownership. The team has been in the Hunt family since Lamar founded it at the same time he helped found the old AFL 50 years ago. Clark, like his father, is not a meddler.
    In addition, the Chiefs have one of the most enthusiastic and loyal fan bases in the league, and will play next year in a refurbished stadium. Arrowhead, opened in the early 1970s, is undergoing a $325 million renovation which includes a plush new headquarters building, weight and conditioning areas, and expanded indoor and outdoor practice facilities.
    And along with several promising young players Edwards acquired in the past two years, the Chiefs have the third overall pick in this year's draft.

You guys dont want Pioli near as much as you think you do. You want Kirk Ferentz as your next head coach? This guy is a joke just like anybody else who ever left Belichik. Stop letting the media decide for you. Their is MUCH better people out their than this schmuck. The Browns wont touch this guy and we shouldnt either. Im hoping that once he tells Clark that he would like to hire the trash bag from Iowa that the conversation is over.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    You guys dont want Pioli near as much as you think you do. You want Kirk Ferentz as your next head coach? This guy is a joke just like anybody else who ever left Belichik. Stop letting the media decide for you. Their is MUCH better people out their than this schmuck. The Browns wont touch this guy and we shouldnt either. Im hoping that once he tells Clark that he would like to hire the trash bag from Iowa that the conversation is over.
    1. Ferentz is fine with me. Why....because ANYONE is better than Herm Edwards.

2. You can't say "Their is(are btw) MUCH better people out their..." and not name is single one of those people. I will give you an example...I like Scott Pioli because he has helped build a dynasty with the Patriots and his father-in-law is Bill Parcells, which can't hurt.

Your turn....just fill in the blanks... "I like ____ because_____.

Let Tony G run the team.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

My favorite is Jimmy Ray from San Diego. He is known as the ultimate college evaluator next to Thomas Dimitroff. He got his start in Kansas City in 1995 and joined San Diego in 96. He has single handely built that club into the most talented roster in the league and losses like Drew Brees have never affected the team.

My #2 is Chris Polian- Colts assistant GM and son of mastermind Bill Polian- One of my faves from day 1. Comes from an outstanding franchise, has solid GM experience and learned from the greatest. Not to mention that he is good friends with Clark Hunt and is the youngest out of all of the candidates.

My #3 is George Kokinis- Ravens pro personnel director- Texaschief was the first one to put his chips in for Kokinis. After some research, I’m right behind him. Kokinis’ history is as solid as a brick and his drafting is even harder. With three free agent Linebackers on that Ravens squad, the chance to get one of them would be high. Kokinis and Rex Ryan are very close and it has been said that where George goes, Rex goes. That wouldn’t be a bad idea as a head coach or defensive coordinator.

By the way, Ferentz is nowhere near as good as Herm. You can say whatever you want, but if you give Herm a good team, he goes to the playoffs and wins. His first 6 seasons he had 4 playoffs and 2 playoff wins. You havent seen that in 15 years in Kansas City. Before I go, Kirk Ferentz career record is 82-74 and thats in college!

By the way, Ferentz is nowhere near as good as Herm. You can say whatever you want, but if you give Herm a good team, he goes to the playoffs and wins. His first 6 seasons he had 4 playoffs and 2 playoff wins. You havent seen that in 15 years in Kansas City. Before I go, Kirk Ferentz career record is 82-74 and thats in college![/quote]

you mean herm is good with other coaches teams when he first takes over a team! I'm kinda hoping that herm edwards does stay for another year just so we have another horrible season and and then see what you herm lovers say after next season!
    Last edited by Chiefstillidie; 01-07-2009 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstillidie View Post
    By the way, Ferentz is nowhere near as good as Herm. You can say whatever you want, but if you give Herm a good team, he goes to the playoffs and wins. His first 6 seasons he had 4 playoffs and 2 playoff wins. You havent seen that in 15 years in Kansas City. Before I go, Kirk Ferentz career record is 82-74 and thats in college!

you mean herm is good with other coaches teams when he first takes over a team! I'm kinda hoping that herm edwards does stay for another year just so we have another horrible season and and then see what you herm lovers say after next season![/quote]

Im not sure what team your talking about. Are you talking about the team that he took over from Al Groh in New York. the one that Bill Parcells quit on after an 8-8 season before Groh got their? The one that Herm took to the playoffs his first year and then won the first round, the year after that. Is that the one your talking about?

I agree with Tek in the area that Raye would be a great hire. The Chargers have had loads of talent for quite some time. That idiot of a head coach, Norv Turner, just doesn't know how to utilize it. He goes 11-5 or 8-8 on teams that should be going 14-2 or 12-4. I will give him credit in the area that he finds a way to make it to the playoffs, but it should be much easier for his team.

As far as Herm goes, I don't doubt whether or not he can get talent, he's gotten quite a few solid players out of the draft. My beef is that he doesn't get some positions because he sees some other players on the board that he wants to take. How does he remedy it? By drafting a late round guy and making him a "project". Yeah, that works all the time.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post

Your turn....just fill in the blanks... "I like ____ because_____.
    OH!! I know this one!! I like Beer because its delicious!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Canada wins! He beat me to the punch!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    My favorite is Jimmy Ray from San Diego. He is known as the ultimate college evaluator next to Thomas Dimitroff. He got his start in Kansas City in 1995 and joined San Diego in 96. He has single handely built that club into the most talented roster in the league and losses like Drew Brees have never affected the team.

My #2 is Chris Polian- Colts assistant GM and son of mastermind Bill Polian- One of my faves from day 1. Comes from an outstanding franchise, has solid GM experience and learned from the greatest. Not to mention that he is good friends with Clark Hunt and is the youngest out of all of the candidates.

My #3 is George Kokinis- Ravens pro personnel director- Texaschief was the first one to put his chips in for Kokinis. After some research, I’m right behind him. Kokinis’ history is as solid as a brick and his drafting is even harder. With three free agent Linebackers on that Ravens squad, the chance to get one of them would be high. Kokinis and Rex Ryan are very close and it has been said that where George goes, Rex goes. That wouldn’t be a bad idea as a head coach or defensive coordinator.

Nice. My top 3 were Pioli, Polian, and Kokinis. I havent look into Jimmy Ray much. However I really am starting to lean away from Polian. Because after this season I feel the Colts hit a jackpot in 3 time MVP winner P.Manning. This season showed how crucial it is for Peyton Manning to perform at an MVP level in order for this team to be successful. When Mannning is not at 100%...they are a 3-4 team. I think their Defense is overrated. Sure Bob Sanders is a freak....but he has yet to complete a full 16 game season. Without Manning...this team would go no where.

As for Pioli and the Pats. Well I know I am not the only one, but I hate the Pats. Just like I hate the Cowboys, the Yankees, the Lakers, and UNC basketball. I hate them because they are successful organizations and Yeah I am jealous and want that for the Chiefs. When Bone Crusher took out Pretty Boy I was pumped. I figured season over for the Pats...but they were able to STILL finish 11-5....without Brady. Pioli knows what to do when building a dynasty. Who in there right mind would give Randy Moss a contract after the shinanigans he pulled in Oakland? They can get rid of guys like Troy Brown and Asante Samuel and replace them with no problem. I have a hard time understanding why someone would be so against the hiring of an individual who is one of the master minds at putting together one of the most dominant/hated franchises in NFL history. Spygate was blown out of proportion and Pioli had nothing to do with it. Hell....Balltimore has Ray Lewis, and the Colts Marvin Harrison...it's not like those guys dont have skeletons in their closet.

As for Herm being a better coach. For being a defensive minded coach and allowing the least amount of sacks in NFL history AND giving up the most points at home to an opponent in our Franchise's history I feel speaks volumes about his coaching ability. He took Parcell's Jets team to the Playoffs. And he took Vermiel's Chiefs team to the playoffs. For his Career...Herm is 20 games under .500. Ferentz is above .500 at least.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast