Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please stop dreaming about trading LJ!

Default Please stop dreaming about trading LJ!

Look, I understand that we don't want to cut LJ and take the cap hit. I understand we don't want to keep him and his behavior problems on the team. I understand we all think/know he can be a 1500/year back still in this league, and don't want to trade him for peanuts.

But everyone needs to realize that: We aren't getting high draft picks or starting players for LJ.

No team is going to trade a decent pick for a 30-year-old guy with his injury history, suspension threat, his 416 carry season, behavior problems, and big salary. He's a good one-dimensional back that can't block or catch well and who fumbled five times in 2008. Not to mention that RBs past 30 don't last for long historically.

Many teams might be interested in him as a FA, but GMs are become cheaper and cheaper at RB as everyone figures out the OL is becoming more and more important than individual RB talent. Playoff teams like the Colts (Rhodes), Giants (Ward and Bradshaw), Pittsburgh (Moore), and Cards (Hightower) have been able to plug in low round picks or cheap FAs as starters this year specifically for that reason. Big money contracts are not given to 30+ RBs anymore, especially one-dimenional ones.

Our best case is probably a 5th rounder for him. And that's only if we get very lucky with a very dumb GM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Look, I understand that we don't want to cut LJ and take the cap hit. I understand we don't want to keep him and his behavior problems on the team. I understand we all think/know he can be a 1500/year back still in this league, and don't want to trade him for peanuts.

But everyone needs to realize that: We aren't getting high draft picks or starting players for LJ.

No team is going to trade a decent pick for a 30-year-old guy with his injury history, suspension threat, his 416 carry season, behavior problems, and big salary. He's a good one-dimensional back that can't block or catch well and who fumbled five times in 2008. Not to mention that RBs past 30 don't last for long historically.

Many teams might be interested in him as a FA, but GMs are become cheaper and cheaper at RB as everyone figures out the OL is becoming more and more important than individual RB talent. Playoff teams like the Colts (Rhodes), Giants (Ward and Bradshaw), Pittsburgh (Moore), and Cards (Hightower) have been able to plug in low round picks or cheap FAs as starters this year specifically for that reason. Big money contracts are not given to 30+ RBs anymore, especially one-dimenional ones.

Our best case is probably a 5th rounder for him. And that's only if we get very lucky with a very dumb GM.
    Even with Hightower and James, the Cards still ranked dead last in rushing. LJ would be the back they need who they could count on for 1000 yards for the next 2 or 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Even with Hightower and James, the Cards still ranked dead last in rushing. LJ would be the back they need who they could count on for 1000 yards for the next 2 or 3 years.
    And they'd be a suitor for his services if he were a FA - but they'll draft a RB in the 2nd before they trade a 2nd for LJ, for salary purposes if nothing else.

And they'd be a suitor for his services if he were a FA - but they'll draft a RB in the 2nd before they trade a 2nd for LJ, for salary purposes if nothing else.
    The Cardinals need a proven commodity at RB. They view their team as close and aren't going to wait for a rookie RB to contribute. If they want a RB in the 2nd, why not take one of the best in the league for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    The Cardinals need a proven commodity at RB. They view their team as close and aren't going to wait for a rookie RB to contribute. If they want a RB in the 2nd, why not take one of the best in the league for that price?
    Because LJ can't block or catch passes, is overpaid, there are questions about his legs, he has attitude problems, and because he is facing a suspension if he steps even a little out of line?

Arizona learned its lessons about over-30 FA RBs with the Edge experiment. They're not making the same mistake twice.

Because LJ can't block or catch passes, is overpaid, there are questions about his legs, he has attitude problems, and because he is facing a suspension if he steps even a little out of line?

Arizona learned its lessons about over-30 FA RBs with the Edge experiment. They're not making the same mistake twice.
    Really? This is the Cardinals we're talking about here. I think you're giving them WAY too much credit.

regardless of what happens lj needs to be gone from kc next year!

You guys are fooling yourselves if you even think the cardinals are in play here!!!!! First of all, the cardinals O line isn't much better than the Chiefs and second of all and more importantly, the Cardinals are a pass first team!! Kurt Warner plus Boldin and Fitzgerald equal not many carries for ANY RB hence the displeasure that James has voiced in the last couple of weeks.

WELL SAID I CANT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!!!!

yeah!!!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast