Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh McDaniel's new Broncos Head Coach

Default Josh McDaniel's new Broncos Head Coach

Chris Mortensen reported this evening that McDaniels is the new HC for the Broncos. McDaniels is 32 years old and Bilichick's asst.'s havent been sure fire winners.

The questions that remain to be seen-
    If we do get Pioli who will be our next HC (assuming Herm is out) the 2 names I have heard with Pioli are either Ferentz or McDaniel

The Broncos getting a very young Bilichick asst.- is that better news for us or will he be the exception to the rule

P.S. I will see you all in Canton when DT is enshrined in the Hall (I Pray

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateGreat#58Fan View Post
    Chris Mortensen reported this evening that McDaniels is the new HC for the Broncos. McDaniels is 32 years old and Bilichick's asst.'s havent been sure fire winners.

If we do get Pioli who will be our next HC (assuming Herm is out) the 2 names I have heard with Pioli are either Ferentz or McDaniel

The Broncos getting a very young Bilichick asst.- is that better news for us or will he be the exception to the rule

I am gonna try and get there for the weekend!! you buy the beer!?!?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

The idea of Pioli/Shanahan has been growing on me since I saw it suggested.

Rex Ryan, Kevin Gilbride, and Steve Spagnoulo (among several others) are quality assistants who would be great HCs, or at least better than we've currently got.

....well this does sh!t for their defense, so I guess it's good for us.

IMO we will sign Pioli, and I have heard Jim Schwartz the DC of the Titans could be ANOTHER possible HC option. I would be fine with a Pioli/Schwartz duo.

Great job finding the news. The success rate for Belichick proteges has not been good. Let's hope those odds stay the same. Shanahan for McDaniels...They must have really wanted a change.

Canada- I will be there with the grill fired up and a Keg available for anyone with Chiefs gear on

- I am so tired of there being no "concrete" GM news, I know its a big choice for Clark but I have no patience for this- so hey Clark go ahead and hurry up

Its not about clark making up his mind anymore . the Ball is in Piolis court. He needs to decide wether or not he wants to leave New England. And right now it seems as though we wont wait more than a week at the most . Clark isnt rushing him though. But we arent taking these steps lightly either , this is a decision that want to be life altering for the chiefs and we dont want to just grab the first guy who seems the best . Pioli is first on the agenda , then we will adress the Herm issue. Dont be surprised if Herm is here this year ( its a possibility) . Cowher wont coach until next year and has stated he likes the chiefs job . Shanahan has aslo shown interest. At least we have something to talk about in the offseason. Could be no Chiefs news anywhere like most years . This at least gives us all a chance to stay in touch until the draft !

ESPN was also saying Pioli is "emerging as the lead candidate for KC," but they also said contract negotiations haven't started.

I think the McDaniel signing is more of an indication of Pioli NOT coming to KC. Wouldn't McDaniel want to AT LEAST interview with a guy he knows and has worked with for a while (Pioli) if he believed Pioli was going to be a GM?

I also think the longer the GM search goes, the better the possibility becomes that Edwards stays. If Hunt/Pioli were serious about him becoming the GM and Edwards leaving, this thing would've been done by now. Especially if McDaniel was one of Pioli's top choices for HC. While a Pioli hire may still happen, the prospect of Edwards leaving is becoming slimmer by the day. If a major change in coaching and philosophy were going to occur, the longer they wait to bring in a new head coach, the harder its going to be for the new coaching staff to review tape, grade out performances and target free agents and scout college talent to fit the systems.

Edwards may not be one of the top 10 coaches in the league, but even if we brought in Cowher or whoever, they'd be operating with a severe time deficit. At least the current coaching staff is on schedule. They're already reviewing game tapes and grading out players while their scouting department has already been identifying players for April. I wonder if making a coaching change this season is really worth the deficit they'd be operating with.

The Chiefs aren't going to be contending for a Super Bowl next season. Edwards and his staff did a great job last year in the draft and identifying undrafted free agents to bring in. I think allowing him to continue coaching players who like him and his staff while continuing to add good, young players for another season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I just don't see how bringing in a new coach and coaching staff this late in the off-season would be beneficial to the organization. The new coaching staff would know nothing about the current roster or how those players performed in the system they were playing in. Even if Pioli has decided to accept the job, contract negotiations haven't even started. That could take another week assuming the deal doesn't fall through. That puts us mid-January. Then, Pioli has to interview coaching candidates. This is another week or two at least (assuming he's a good GM and doesn't settle on guys like Ferentz). That puts us sometime around the Super Bowl in late January or early February. After we've found a new head coach, he needs to find and hire his staff which would take AT LEAST another week (if he knows EXACTLY who he wants and they agree immediately). Now, we're in the second week of February.

Now, the GM, HC and coaching staff are in place on let's say... the 9th of February. They have 20 days to review game film, grade the players, establish the defensive scheme, offensive scheme, decide who to re-sign, who to let go and who to cut, identify who in free agency would fit those systems and fill team needs because free agency starts on the 29th of Feb. Then, they only have two months until the draft.

If you compared that to other teams or even this one as it stands now, player evaluations will probably be done by the middle of this month by the latest. When you factor in that an extremely young team full of rookies, second and third year players would have to learn all new systems or terminology, I just don't see the benefit of changing the entire staff this year.

The one thing I will say though, is that the new GM and ownership will be put in a very precarious position if the Chiefs have an unexpectedly good year and end the year with a winning record. While I don't think firing Edwards would be a great decision this season, allowing him to captain this team to a winning record or playoff appearance next season could force the organization to extend his contract. I'm not positive this is in the best interest of the organization either.
    Last edited by texaschief; 01-12-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    ESPN was also saying Pioli is "emerging as the lead candidate for KC," but they also said contract negotiations haven't started.

I think the McDaniel signing is more of an indication of Pioli NOT coming to KC. Wouldn't McDaniel want to AT LEAST interview with a guy he knows and has worked with for a while (Pioli) if he believed Pioli was going to be a GM?

I also think the longer the GM search goes, the better the possibility becomes that Edwards stays. If Hunt/Pioli were serious about him becoming the GM and Edwards leaving, this thing would've been done by now. Especially if McDaniel was one of Pioli's top choices for HC. While a Pioli hire may still happen, the prospect of Edwards leaving is becoming slimmer by the day. If a major change in coaching and philosophy were going to occur, the longer they wait to bring in a new head coach, the harder its going to be for the new coaching staff to review tape, grade out performances and target free agents and scout college talent to fit the systems.

Edwards may not be one of the top 10 coaches in the league, but even if we brought in Cowher or whoever, they'd be operating with a severe time deficit. At least the current coaching staff is on schedule. They're already reviewing game tapes and grading out players while their scouting department has already been identifying players for April. I wonder if making a coaching change this season is really worth the deficit they'd be operating with.

The Chiefs aren't going to be contending for a Super Bowl next season. Edwards and his staff did a great job last year in the draft and identifying undrafted free agents to bring in. I think allowing him to continue coaching players who like him and his staff while continuing to add good, young players for another season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I just don't see how bringing in a new coach and coaching staff this late in the off-season would be beneficial to the organization. The new coaching staff would know nothing about the current roster or how those players performed in the system they were playing in. Even if Pioli has decided to accept the job, contract negotiations haven't even started. That could take another week assuming the deal doesn't fall through. That puts us mid-January. Then, Pioli has to interview coaching candidates. This is another week or two at least (assuming he's a good GM and doesn't settle on guys like Ferentz). That puts us sometime around the Super Bowl in late January or early February. After we've found a new head coach, he needs to find and hire his staff which would take AT LEAST another week (if he knows EXACTLY who he wants and they agree immediately). Now, we're in the second week of February.

Now, the GM, HC and coaching staff are in place on let's say... the 9th of February. They have 20 days to review game film, grade the players, establish the defensive scheme, offensive scheme, decide who to re-sign, who to let go and who to cut, identify who in free agency would fit those systems and fill team needs because free agency starts on the 29th of Feb. Then, they only have two months until the draft.

If you compared that to other teams or even this one as it stands now, player evaluations will probably be done by the middle of this month by the latest. When you factor in that an extremely young team full of rookies, second and third year players would have to learn all new systems or terminology, I just don't see the benefit of changing the entire staff this year.

The one thing I will say though, is that the new GM and ownership will be put in a very precarious position if the Chiefs have an unexpectedly good year and end the year with a winning record. While I don't think firing Edwards would be a great decision this season, allowing him to captain this team to a winning record or playoff appearance next season could force the organization to extend his contract. I'm not positive this is in the best interest of the organization either.
    100% agree on everything, Tex. If Herm is not gone within the next two weeks, their is no way he is going and I can start pulling out my "I told ya so's" to everybody here.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    100% agree on everything, Tex. If Herm is not gone within the next two weeks, their is no way he is going and I can start pulling out my "I told ya so's" to everybody here.
    too bad the one that matters is no longer here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast