Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thigpen: One Season Wonder?

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

Default Thigpen: One Season Wonder?

Maybe he is and maybe he ain't. I think we should take a QB with the first pick because it ain't worth the risk. We've seen this before and if he is we have another Huard situation on our hands and we need to prevent that. I still like Croyle but I know most of you won't like to hear that if Thigpen is a one season wonder than Croyle becomes the starter next year. Is that really what you want? Worst case scenario, Thigpen works out and we have a backup who is good (and with how much he runs the ball he'll get hurt sooner or later) or a player we can trade for a high pick or a good player from another team after it becomes aparent we don't need him.

I donthink KC will go QB in first round.. it just doesn't make sense with all of the needs that KC has, and the fact that there are no super great Qb's coming out. We can draft a guy in the mid rounds and have him compete with Thigpen, or, pick someone up in FA that will compete for the starting job~

If we get Pioli hes gonna be scouring those mid/lower rounds for another Brady to make himself look like a genius... and I hope he pulls it off~

QB was a strength this season.
    DE was a weakness.
    OL was a weakness.

Therefore we need to draft DE/OL, don't overthink things.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    We need an LT and LG? I'll agree that we MIGHT need an LG since we don't know how long Waters has, but did you even see Albert play? We need RT and RG the most.
    Albert did well in the spread, but he struggled heavily until we moved to the spread. Moving him to RT or RG isn't a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Albert did well in the spread, but he struggled heavily until we moved to the spread. Moving him to RT or RG isn't a terrible idea.
    He gave up 4.5 sacks this season which is pretty good (Gross gave up 3 in the same number of games). But I do remember him having problems before Thigpen took over and I'm positive that number would have been much higher had we not been in shotgun so much.

If you have the choice between possibly having both a pro bowl tackle (#3 pick) and guard (Albert), or having a "good" tackle (Albert) and terrible guard (Jones or whoever), the decision should be simple.

I don't see what we're hoping for by taking a QB. Realistically, what are the chances that Stafford puts up a 21 TD, 12 INT season in his 2nd year? Thigpen produced as a 24 year old in his 2nd season. I don't see what more you can ask for at the QB position.
    Last edited by yashi; 01-13-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Unless you draft a Spread type of QB, there is no point in discussing a different QB until the offensive line is solid and the defense isn't ranked last in the NFL.

Thigpen single handily lost us two games this year. Until thigpen game in, the Chiefs looked like the worste team in the NFL.

There are much bigger issues that need to be addressed.

Starting with the last place HERM built Defense.

While we're at it, let's draft some corners too. Cuz nobody knows if Carr, Flowers, and Leggett will pan-out or not...

'Cmon with all this "QB in the first round" talk...

You really think so?

This team has enough to do already in order to right the ship that the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" would certainly apply here, IMO.

I agree with taking a QB in maybe round 3 or later but if we blow our first pick on one of the pretenders in this year's draft, I'm gonna be pissed.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

So now we're going to break it down into how many games Thigpen single handedly lost? Ok- well how about the games lost by everyone else, then? Because if we're going to complain about 2 games lost by Thigpen, how about the 8 or 9 lost by the defense, and the one that Connor Barth lost?

It's impossible to say that Thigpen is a one season anything without having multiple seasons to judge that. Let's get a few more weapons around him, and get him the O-line that will not only protect him, but also give him a running game that will take heat off the passing game.

Let's get him a defense that will not make every game a high-scoring shoot out by failing to stop anyone.

When you have games with your "feature" running back gaining 2 yards, 8 yards, 10 yards, that's not helping anything.

Offensive line, defensive line, then linebackers.

The dead horse is now so beaten, it is unrecognizable.

jb

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

When Thigpen becomes the loser he was born to be, and we know he is because he can't play in an NFL offense, we have to mock a college offense just so he can play, and there's a reason NFL teams don't use college offenses, then you'll all look at the QB we passed up and complain about how stupid the Chiefs were. I remember listening to how Ryan and Flacco would never be franchise QBs or maybe not even starters. How they were a watse of a draft pick. Let's face the music, if you have a great QB you are a great team year after year, Marino, Manning, Elway, Montana, Young, Aikman, and on and on. When you don't you are never a consitently good team. Thigpen is NOT that QB and with how bad our enire team is the only way to turn it around quickly is to get a competant QB who can play in an NFL offense.

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    When Thigpen becomes the loser he was born to be, and we know he is because he can't play in an NFL offense, we have to mock a college offense just so he can play, and there's a reason NFL teams don't use college offenses, then you'll all look at the QB we passed up and complain about how stupid the Chiefs were. I remember listening to how Ryan and Flacco would never be franchise QBs or maybe not even starters. How they were a watse of a draft pick. Let's face the music, if you have a great QB you are a great team year after year, Marino, Manning, Elway, Montana, Young, Aikman, and on and on. When you don't you are never a consitently good team. Thigpen is NOT that QB and with how bad our enire team is the only way to turn it around quickly is to get a competant QB who can play in an NFL offense.
    If only that were the magic answer. Draft a QB and everything will get better. How about we worrk about all the guys around the QB first and let our competent QB show us what he can do in an NFL offense. As much as I would like to believe in your ability to evaluate talent, I would still like to see Thigpen have a chance and he totally deserves it. I love your faith in the players on the team. Your first quote is "When Thigpen become the loser he was born to be" "We have to have a college offense for his sake" Those might be the two most poorly thought out comments I have ever heard. Maybe the college offense was implemented for the rest of the offense. Maybe our poor O line play or RB play had something to do with it. I mean honestly, outside of this season (which was pretty good for Thigpen) when did u ever evaluate his talent on the field?? He now has some experience and will have an entire offseason to run with the first team Offense and you think it is time to take our third pick and spend it in a mediocre QB class with no improvement on the line and all of your problems are solved. If only we had you on staff for the Chiefs. We would have drafted a QB a couple of years ago with no O line and then everything would be fine. Unless he was a bust that turned out to be injured all the time...oh of course, you probably knew Croyle was a bust too right?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    You're seriously making this argument? Who, exactly, do you think is a franchise QB in this draft? Stafford/Bradford are the next Carr/Harrington, Tim Coach/Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell/Brady Quinn, Vince Young/Matt Leinert. Every draft could be second guessed. For each of the franchise QBs you listed above, there a five busts. And none of the QBs listed above ever did anything without sterling supporting casts.

The Chiefs, in hindsight, look like morons for passing on Clady or Flacco at the 5-spot instead of Dorsey. Bad picks are made. But drafting a rookie QB and throwing him to the wolves is only going to slow this team's progress. If Thigpen turns out to be a loser in 2009, there are actually good QBs coming out in 2010.

I don't know whether Thigpen is good enough to win a SB. Neither do you. He won as many games this year as any QB could have, given our OL and defense. He was a bright spot in a miserable year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast