Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glen Dorsey the bust?

Default Glen Dorsey the bust?

Everybody has proclaimed that his rookie season was a bust. People are already lableing him Ryan Sims pt. 2.

However people need to look under the surface.

Here's some things to consider. First the Chiefs had the worst DL in football, this is without question. Dorsey was almost routinely zone blocked and double teamed every play.

Then of course there's the numbers.

Sims didn't play but 6 games his rookie season, and when he was the full time starter in his 2nd season he was decent, but then he failed the next season racking up only 15 tackles.

Dorsey however in his rookie season, playing with the worst DL in the NFL had a respectable rookie campaign with 46 tackles and a sack.

Not really that eye popping until you look at another full time starting DT's rookie season stats: 30 tackles 1 sack.

Who's stats are those exactly?

Albert Haynesworth

he had a better rookie year than the best DT in football, Haynesworth. With the right tutalidge how long before he's putting up Haynesworth type numbers? Just sayin.

Dorsey had a bad 1st year... YES.. but I think he still has a lot to learn in the NFL. In college he was able to toss Centers and Guards around but the NFL Centers and Guards are so much faster/stronger/ have better technique and smarter that Dorsey can't get away w/ what he did in college.. It'll take some time for him to adjust (let's hope not too long).

Also, as many of you have mentioned above, Gunther was the wrong Def. Coordinator for a player like Dorsey.

One more thing is we can't overlook the horrible play of our linebackers.. DJ looked very average this year and I think the other 6 LBs that started for us were ex Wal-mart employees..

It's sad that our D Line consist of 1st Round Dorsey..1st Round Tamba Hali...2nd Rnd : Turk McBride.. and 3rd Round Tank Tyler...and they all played like crap in Gunthers system

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    No one. My point is that the Chiefs braintrust made a very bad trade that most franchises with adequate leadership wouldn't have been forced to make. That our old GM and HC pissed off our best player and then traded him for pennies on the dollar.
    Yes well this is undebatable.

Good thing is we are finally vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by slimdagreat View Post
    Yes well this is undebatable.

Good thing is we are finally vindicated.
    Amen. 2009 will be a very, very good year to be a Chiefs fan.

We will be the 2009 AFC West champs. Mark it.

I'm disappointed with Dorsey, but I can't call him a bust. One it's his first season, two DE's help DT's get inside/DT's help DE's get outside, ours don't do either.

It's too early for the bust talk, let Dorsey get some time to adjust to playing against NFL guards and centers. Plus he needs to be surrounded by some better defensive linemen or have the ones he currently plays with become better.

I've been saying that for a few months now. Not a bad time to be a *hopeful* first time season ticket holder. Yus.

You beat me to it, but I just bet my boy the very same thing, poor guy is a chargers fan. Can you believe that a Chargers fan from rural missouri, but what ever. I am reaquiring season tix as we speak. woohoo!!!!!!!

Since I opened up a little thread jack with the JA comment I will say this.

You can't label Dorsey as a bust.. YET. You have to give the kid another year or two, and even then I think he can thrive in someone elses 4-3 if he doesnt make it in KC. Its all relative to the defense, the DC, the players around him (the offenses million-billion 3 and outs so the D is constantly on the field) etc.

I'm tired of seeing KC 1st round D picks not living up to thier contracts/hype, please dont let Dorsey go that way too~

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    Dorsey had a bad 1st year... YES.. but I think he still has a lot to learn in the NFL. In college he was able to toss Centers and Guards around but the NFL Centers and Guards are so much faster/stronger/ have better technique and smarter that Dorsey can't get away w/ what he did in college.. It'll take some time for him to adjust (let's hope not too long).

Also, as many of you have mentioned above, Gunther was the wrong Def. Coordinator for a player like Dorsey.

One more thing is we can't overlook the horrible play of our linebackers.. DJ looked very average this year and I think the other 6 LBs that started for us were ex Wal-mart employees..

It's sad that our D Line consist of 1st Round Dorsey..1st Round Tamba Hali...2nd Rnd : Turk McBride.. and 3rd Round Tank Tyler...and they all played like crap in Gunthers system
    Either produce or beat it. Lets not travel down the Ryan Sims road again and let an under-achieving player waste a badly needed roster spot and cap space. If Dorsey doesn't have what it takes, cut your losses and get somebody that can. I'd give him another year to prove he was worthy of a 1st rd pick, but not 2 or 3 more years...
    SHUT IT

half of dorseys problems in his first year was the genius that made him line up directly over the center.that is a immediate disadvantage for a dt.i agree give him another year if he does not show signs of improvemant can him.he did have a better rookie year than sapp though to call him a bust after one year is a joke

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast