Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glen Dorsey the bust?

Default Glen Dorsey the bust?

Everybody has proclaimed that his rookie season was a bust. People are already lableing him Ryan Sims pt. 2.

However people need to look under the surface.

Here's some things to consider. First the Chiefs had the worst DL in football, this is without question. Dorsey was almost routinely zone blocked and double teamed every play.

Then of course there's the numbers.

Sims didn't play but 6 games his rookie season, and when he was the full time starter in his 2nd season he was decent, but then he failed the next season racking up only 15 tackles.

Dorsey however in his rookie season, playing with the worst DL in the NFL had a respectable rookie campaign with 46 tackles and a sack.

Not really that eye popping until you look at another full time starting DT's rookie season stats: 30 tackles 1 sack.

Who's stats are those exactly?

Albert Haynesworth

he had a better rookie year than the best DT in football, Haynesworth. With the right tutalidge how long before he's putting up Haynesworth type numbers? Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by slimdagreat View Post
    Everybody has proclaimed that his rookie season was a bust. People are already lableing him Ryan Sims pt. 2.

Here's some things to consider. First the Chiefs had the worst DL in football, this is without question. Dorsey was almost routinely zone blocked and double teamed every play.

Sims didn't play but 6 games his rookie season, and when he was the full time starter in his 2nd season he was decent, but then he failed the next season racking up only 15 tackles.

Dorsey however in his rookie season, playing with the worst DL in the NFL had a respectable rookie campaign with 46 tackles and a sack.

Not really that eye popping until you look at another full time starting DT's rookie season stats: 30 tackles 1 sack.

Albert Haynesworth

he had a better rookie year than the best DT in football, Haynesworth. With the right tutalidge how long before he's putting up Haynesworth type numbers? Just sayin.
    Well put. Was Dorsey a dissapoinment this year? Sure. He definitely didn't earn his money but few players do. Is Dorsey a bust? Far from it. His production towards the end of the season was actually pretty impressive considering he got off to a slow start.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Haynesworth also played with Kevin Carter and Jevon Kearse in his rookie season, both of whom were leaps and bounds better than Tamba Hali, our best DE.
    Tamba Hali and Dorsey were supposed to be D line anchors. That did not happen. The D line was no threat to stop the run between the tackles.

Warren Sapp had a better rookie year and that was what was expected of Hali and Dorsey.

When we drafted Hali, it was a lil early. Tamba was a fast, workhorse. He worked well with the talented Mr. Allen, but without a big, strong guy to distract the OL, Tamba probably won't sneak up on any QB's.

Once again... I think it's a big picture defense thing. Yes, Hali and Dorsey were probably meant to anchor the line, but Dorsey is a rookie, and it would only be fair to him to allow him a year to adjust to the speed, size, and experience of NFL offensive linemen.

Our defense posed no threat, not because Dorsey was a bust, but because there were NO playmakers in the front seven. The more threats you have on a defense, the more those threats have to be considered by an offense. If you have to double team Neil Smith *and* Derrick Thomas, that frees up Leonard Griffin, Dan Saleamua, and Tracy Simien to make some plays, eh?

But we don't have anyone that requires a double team, and that's where we need to hit this. When O-lines, the league over, are scratching their heads trying to figure out how to block us, everyone on the D will benefit from that.

two cents from an optimist-ish fella,

jb

I think it's also important to point out that you can't blame most people for being disapointed in Dorsey simply because every NFL scout and analyst promised us he would be a factor instantly. I was overly-excited as well when I kept hearing this because most d-linemen take a year or so to develop and they made him out to be a godsend. There's still a chance that he can be great. I'm almost certain he'll at least be good.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Albert Haynesworth

I never heard much about Dorsey and I really don't think you should of put the word only(in red) in there.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

I will say he is not a bust. If he doesnt produce in the next couple years, than yes I agree he is a bust, but to say that he is a bust after one season isnt correct. Look at Mario Williams for example...he wasnt the best his first season either..

We are both talking about the 2008 KC Chiefs, right? The team I watched folded up like a deck of cards late in the game. They appeared like folks who were worried about catching the last train home.

Default Right On!

Dorsey had a better year than Sapp did in his rookie year also. Just because he was the top rated defensive player in the draft does not mean he is going to come in his rookie year and have 10 sacks and 60 tackles. It takes time to become a good player in the NFL

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

I think alot of people are harder on Dorsey because of how bad the team got burned by Ryan Sims.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast