Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glen Dorsey the bust?

Default Glen Dorsey the bust?

Everybody has proclaimed that his rookie season was a bust. People are already lableing him Ryan Sims pt. 2.

However people need to look under the surface.

Here's some things to consider. First the Chiefs had the worst DL in football, this is without question. Dorsey was almost routinely zone blocked and double teamed every play.

Then of course there's the numbers.

Sims didn't play but 6 games his rookie season, and when he was the full time starter in his 2nd season he was decent, but then he failed the next season racking up only 15 tackles.

Dorsey however in his rookie season, playing with the worst DL in the NFL had a respectable rookie campaign with 46 tackles and a sack.

Not really that eye popping until you look at another full time starting DT's rookie season stats: 30 tackles 1 sack.

Who's stats are those exactly?

Albert Haynesworth

he had a better rookie year than the best DT in football, Haynesworth. With the right tutalidge how long before he's putting up Haynesworth type numbers? Just sayin.

Agreed Dorsey needs to have another year with some competent team members. If your the only stud on the line you get all the attention.

Imagine how good he could be if they got Spagnoli as HC

Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by slimdagreat View Post
    Everybody has proclaimed that his rookie season was a bust. People are already lableing him Ryan Sims pt. 2.

However people need to look under the surface.

Here's some things to consider. First the Chiefs had the worst DL in football, this is without question. Dorsey was almost routinely zone blocked and double teamed every play.

Then of course there's the numbers.

Sims didn't play but 6 games his rookie season, and when he was the full time starter in his 2nd season he was decent, but then he failed the next season racking up only 15 tackles.

Dorsey however in his rookie season, playing with the worst DL in the NFL had a respectable rookie campaign with 46 tackles and a sack.

Not really that eye popping until you look at another full time starting DT's rookie season stats: 30 tackles 1 sack.

Who's stats are those exactly?

Albert Haynesworth

he had a better rookie year than the best DT in football, Haynesworth. With the right tutalidge how long before he's putting up Haynesworth type numbers? Just sayin.
    I'm not saying Dorsey's a bust yet. However, he certainly wasn't the impact rookie people claimed. And he looks like he needs massive improvement not to be a bust.

He wasn't double-teamed most plays - a single guard was usually enough to block him completely. And he accumulated a lot of tackles for the same reason many bad players accumulate a lot of tackles - people kept running right at him. He showed no penetration into the backfield and looked no better than any undrafted rookie.

The big difference between Haynesworth and Dorsey? In Haynesworth's rookie year, the Titans ranked 2nd against the run - no one wanted to run on them. The Chiefs ranked 30th against the run Dorsey's rookie year - people had no problem running on them. That, not tackles, is the important statistic.

Nice post,

I think I understand what your really wanting!!!!!!

you want us to sign

ALBERT HAYNESWORTH

in FA hehehehe.

GREAT IDEA MAN!!!!!

imagine how good he could be if we wouldnt have squandered away the best pass rushing DE in football~

Watch film.. Gunther Cunningham is the worst defensive coordinator ever, and used him exclusively as a read and react DT. He wasn't drafted #5 overall to hold his ground and then try to make a play. He was drafted because he can explode off the line and be a playmaker.

Using him like a 350 lb run stuffer was the worst thing possible. I have faith the next defensive coordinator will use him correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I'm not saying Dorsey's a bust yet. However, he certainly wasn't the impact rookie people claimed. And he looks like he needs massive improvement not to be a bust.

He wasn't double-teamed most plays - a single guard was usually enough to block him completely. And he accumulated a lot of tackles for the same reason many bad players accumulate a lot of tackles - people kept running right at him. He showed no penetration into the backfield and looked no better than any undrafted rookie.

The big difference between Haynesworth and Dorsey? In Haynesworth's rookie year, the Titans ranked 2nd against the run - no one wanted to run on them. The Chiefs ranked 30th against the run Dorsey's rookie year - people had no problem running on them. That, not tackles, is the important statistic.
    Haynesworth also played with Kevin Carter and Jevon Kearse in his rookie season, both of whom were leaps and bounds better than Tamba Hali, our best DE.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    Nice post,

I think I understand what your really wanting!!!!!!

you want us to sign

ALBERT HAYNESWORTH

in FA hehehehe.

GREAT IDEA MAN!!!!!
    If we don't make a large offer to Haynesworth, I'll be shocked. He would be an awesome, awesome addition to our DL.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast