Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts (for those who care)

Default My thoughts (for those who care)

Everyone is saying Herm is on his way out. I do find it interesting that Herm wasn't fired BEFORE Pioli signed, like all the rumors had Hunt doing. If Pioli DOES come in and fire Herm immediately, I'm going to be VERY interested to see how he justifies it. "6 wins in 2 years" just isn't a smart argument. Neither of the last two teams were built to win and Herm is the guy who pushed to dump all the old guys and start completely over... which is now what Hunt is trying to continue to do.

This whole situation (if that's how it went down) is like sitting down with a salesman who convinces you that you should go one way instead of another and then after you've made your decision, you decided to grab another salesman to complete the sale so they could get the commission. It just doesn't make sense to me.

This whole move just seems like Hunt is just trying to please the mob. After watching EVERY SINGLE person leave that organization and absolutely BOMB by themselves, I just don't understand why everyone is so excited about this guy. If he brought Belichick with him, then I'd be more excited about it. But seriously, who do y'all think is more responsible for their successes, Pioli, Belichick, or having a solid O-line and franchise QB that was built before Pioli got there?

I REALLY hope Pioli does good for us. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and we're not just the next team to pluck an overrated part of Bellichick's staff like Savage, Weiss, McDaniel, Crennell, etc. I'm real curious why more people aren't worried about this. I've done my homework on Pioli and can't find exactly what he was responsible for during their great run this decade except that he was part of the team.

Bellichick has total personnel control over that team and Pioli wasn't even the GM.

The whole thing about this franchise and where they've been the past decade and where they're headed is that this franchise was decimated by poor drafting from 99 to 2005. The head coach always gets the majority of the blame for a team's failure and to a certain extent that's acceptable. But a successful team builds through the draft and doesn't trade away draft picks for older vets. For whatever reason, Peterson didn't like this concept and it ultimately led to the destruction of this team and his resignation.

I thank Edwards for finally getting this franchise on the right path and opening ownership's eyes to the fact that the right way to build a franchise is the way we're doing it and that Peterson was a cancer to this team. Edwards was the first coach since Schottenheimer to build this team correctly. At this point in the franchise's history, a coaches ability to manage the clock isn't exactly high on the list of concerns. He has established a culture this past year for the Chiefs and unless Pioli and the next head coach believe in the same concept, the Chiefs are never going to establish a consistently great team.

I will say though, that if you looked at the beginning of the Patriot dynasty, they did exactly what Edwards and Hunt want to do. They built the team through the draft and only recently started adding high priced free agents. So, that is encouraging. If Pioli fires Herm because he thinks he's bringing in a better talent who believes in the same concept as Edwards and Hunt do, then I'm all for it.

My very first concern has been and always will be building this team the right way. My endorsement of Edwards stems from the lone fact that he's the first guy who's pushed to do things the right way since Marty. My allegiance is to the team and any personnel who pushes to build the franchise for the long-term through the draft. The only other reason I thought Edwards should be retained is the fact he's only been given one team in three years who could've conceivably competed for a playoff birth and firing him IMO just isn't fair. But in term of the franchise, as long as they bring in a head coach with the same philosophy, I really don't care one way or the other who the head coach is. Well, as long as its not Ferentz.

Im sure the decision was already made during the interview process... We will have to wait and see. College coaches have had no success at the pro level and we can't afford to be another miami and atlanta if it doesnt work out that hire would worry me. If herm was to go, I am for Spagnolo from the giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I will take Herm for another season if it means getting Cowher the following season.
    Yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I H8 Every Team But KC View Post
    And that's what people forget about. There are going to be 3-4 proven coach's come back next year. What is so bad about using Herm for one more year to finish rebuilding the team when there are no clear cut choices for his replacement this year?

I'm all for it myself...
    Because Herm didn't rebuild the team. He tore it down. And if he stays in control, he'll keep tearing it down. Pioli will be building the team pretty much from scratch. Our biggest asset to Pioli is that we're under the cap. Not any of the personnel Herm's brought in.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    For one, we'll probably lose TG. Most of the team wants Herm to stay and changing the entire system on 2nd and 3rd year players won't be a step forward. It's going to make all our young players look like rookies all over again which is going to make the coaching staff and fan base turn on them.
    You're out of your mind if you think that hiring Pioli and a real HC does anything but keep guys like Tony G. and Waters happy.

You're already trying to come up with excuses for when our 2nd and 3rd year players turn out not to be as good as you've pretended. Our defense was one of the all time worst last year - I'm all for changing our lousy system.

at this point trading L J and Tony G for draft piks, not a bad idea. we are going nowhere next year anyway, we may get a second round for L J and a third for TG. Tony does deserve a better end to his career than what awaits him here. our defense is embarrasingly awful, w/a supposed "defensive guru" at head coach and another at DC how did we get so bad. i don't think we can just blame the players. Hali has been going downhill each year and our team seems to be where good linebackers go to die. the only bright spot has been Thigpen, a decent young cheap QB to give us a little breathing room on draft day. herm & staff must go! miami rebuilt in one season to a playoff team, why can't we do it in 3 years? cause herm wasted the first 2 that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    at this point trading L J and Tony G for draft piks, not a bad idea. we are going nowhere next year anyway, we may get a second round for L J and a third for TG. Tony does deserve a better end to his career than what awaits him here. our defense is embarrasingly awful, w/a supposed "defensive guru" at head coach and another at DC how did we get so bad. i don't think we can just blame the players. Hali has been going downhill each year and our team seems to be where good linebackers go to die. the only bright spot has been Thigpen, a decent young cheap QB to give us a little breathing room on draft day. herm & staff must go! miami rebuilt in one season to a playoff team, why can't we do it in 3 years? cause herm wasted the first 2 that's why.
    Herm or Carl?

Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    No, he wasted the first three. Only an idiot would begin the 2008 season starting Niswanger, Jones, and McIntosh on our right side of our OL, Croyle at QB, and Devard Darling as our 2WR. Only an idiot starts the front seven we started this this season, especially Pat Thomas, Tank Tyler, Turk McBride, and Donnie Edwards (who should have had D-U-N printed on his helmet). Only an idiot would keep Gunther and Curl on the staff.

Last year did little good for us except prove that we have decent young CBs, and that we can run a spread offense for 1/2 of every game. It was a wasted, terrible year.

P.S. We should keep TG. And we couldn't get a 2040 7th rounder for LJ.

I would like to see Spag or Ryan, maybe even Billick or Shanahan if you want to go offensive~ Other than that, I dont see a whole lot of HC choices that arent a shot in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    I would like to see Spag or Ryan, maybe even Billick or Shanahan if you want to go offensive~ Other than that, I dont see a whole lot of HC choices that arent a shot in the dark.
    If Spag isn't our HC, I'll be surprised, even though I'd prefer Shanahan myself.

Any of those four you referenced are fine by me. And we can get any of those four.

i agree, herm has made terrible decisions on personel, game strategy, clock mgmt, etc. as for carl, mistakes made has he, however he does give a free hand to the coach right down to "most" draft picks. so carl started this predicament by hiring herm, then compounded it by letting him make all the bad decisions, and condemed the CHIEFS to bottom dwelling by not firing him.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast