Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: herm is staying

Default herm is staying

i hate this ****ing team do one thing good then **** it up the next day trust me i have a inside guy

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I think you were trying to be funny, but I kind of think what you said might be more accurate than you realize. Think of the coaches that may be looking for jobs next year...Cowher, Shanahan, Schottenheimer, Parcells, Dungy. I wouldn't be surprised if three of those guys come back to coaching in 2010, but none of them will be coaching in 2009. Why fire Herm this year when we can go after one of those 5 if we wait one more year?
    Because we don't have to chalk up 2009?

Because we could just put Gailey in charge for a year instead of Herm?

Because it's probably better to get a young coach instead of a retread?

Because there's no way Parcells, Schottenheimer, or Dungy coach again?

Because we want to signal that this franchise is changing direction?

Because we want a competent coach that won't destroy our FA and rookie classes?

I dunno, it's a mystery why Herm should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    rumors are the best part of the offseason! without them we would be so bored~

That being said, I can imagine that this is true in the capacity that 'your inside guy' told you so.
    By inside guy, he probably meant the little guy inside his head. You know one from which all of those "voices" come from (Don't hate me, I'm just kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Because we don't have to chalk up 2009?

Because we could just put Gailey in charge for a year instead of Herm?

Because it's probably better to get a young coach instead of a retread?

Because there's no way Parcells, Schottenheimer, or Dungy coach again?

Because we want to signal that this franchise is changing direction?

Because we want a competent coach that won't destroy our FA and rookie classes?

I dunno, it's a mystery why Herm should be fired.
    I don't really disagree with you, but I do see it as a win-win situation. If we fire Herm this year, then we will wind up with a better coach. If we wait until next year, there is a good chance we will wind up with an even better coach. Plus, there is a slim chance Herm might surprise us and turn out to be a better coach than we all think he is capable of being.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I don't really disagree with you, but I do see it as a win-win situation. If we fire Herm this year, then we will wind up with a better coach. If we wait until next year, there is a good chance we will wind up with an even better coach. Plus, there is a slim chance Herm might surprise us and turn out to be a better coach than we all think he is capable of being.
    No, it is not win-win for us to bring back a bad coach in 2009 for the shot at signing Cowher (the other coaches you mentioned aren't worth the wait) in 2010. Not only do we not know if Cowher will coach again, but we don't know if he would coach here.

And really, you think its a good idea to keep a coach as a lame duck for a whole year? When players are going to disregard him for that particular reason? When trying to woo FAs and train rookies? When we're actually trying to win games and need a coach who understands game management? Really?

Herm is a worse coach than everyone thinks, not a better one. The only reason to keep Herm would be if you think he's the future of the franchise. If not, we need to ditch him. Immediately.

how about this as a down side; herm has a mediocre 2009, not great but better so they decide to renew his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    how about this as a down side; herm has a mediocre 2009, not great but better so they decide to renew his contract.
    How about this as another one? He goes 3-13, depresses the fanbase, gets our QB killed, and we're unable get our own FAs to resign because they see this as a losing franchise.

Unhappy

How about this as another one? He goes 3-13, depresses the fanbase, gets our QB killed, and we're unable get our own FAs to resign because they see this as a losing franchise.

yup, that would be a bad thing

Come on JM! You know damn well that isnt going to happen. With added free agents and draft picks by Pioli, this team will look good in a division that will not be very good next year.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

No, it is not win-win for us to bring back a bad coach in 2009 for the shot at signing Cowher (the other coaches you mentioned aren't worth the wait) in 2010. Not only do we not know if Cowher will coach again, but we don't know if he would coach here.

And really, you think its a good idea to keep a coach as a lame duck for a whole year? When players are going to disregard him for that particular reason? When trying to woo FAs and train rookies? When we're actually trying to win games and need a coach who understands game management? Really?

Herm is a worse coach than everyone thinks, not a better one. The only reason to keep Herm would be if you think he's the future of the franchise. If not, we need to ditch him. Immediately.
    You take pride in disagreeing with me, don't you? If Pioli decides to keep Edwards it's because he thinks there is still some hope for Edwards as KC's HC. Besides that, he is one of the most well liked coaches by NFL players. I think highly paid GMs and NFL players can do a better job of evaluating a coach than you or I. However, my point is that it is reassuring that if we take a chance and give Herm another year, there will be several excellent coaches available next year. Don't be such a Debbie Downer.

Just FYI, I would have fired Herm months ago if it were up to me, but it's not so I am putting a little faith in Hunt and Pioli.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Come on JM! You know damn well that isnt going to happen. With added free agents and draft picks by Pioli, this team will look good in a division that will not be very good next year.
    I was being a little worst-case, sure. But I think there are a few dozen coaches who could coach the Chiefs to the top of the AFC West next year, so long as Pioli gets us good picks and good FAs. I don't think Herm can.

I think even if we had the best draft/FA haul possible, Herm gets us to 7-9/6-10. I don't think he knows how to protect a QB or a lead. And his Cover 2 philosophy on defense has been nothing less than disasterous.

I think the Chiefs win the division in 2009 if we fire Herm. I think we finish with a losing record if we keep Herm. I think he's a bad enough coach to be at least a four game swing on the season.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast