Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-4 Defense

Default 3-4 Defense

So I read somewhere online (cant remember or find the source at the moment) that Pioli is a big fan of the 3-4 and he will want us to change to the 3-4. I think if we do that it is going to be 2-3 years before our defense is back to top form again. Right now I dont think we have any of the personnel on the DL, and really only one LB that can handle the 3-4.

I think DJ would be great in the 3-4, it would allow him to slim back down, get faster, and we can just let him get after the QB kind of like the Ravens use Suggs. I think if we just tell him kill the qb on almost every play, he will look a lot better. He has always looked good blitzing.

As far as the D-line, Dorsey isnt nearly big enough to be a NT, and I think he is too big to be a 3-4 DE. Hali is a bit small to be a 3-4 DE against the run. Tyler maybe has the size/speed to move to 3-4 DE. I am not sure if McBride will fit in either.

So if we move to the 3-4, we really only have 2 players in the front 7. That means we have to pick up 5 players between the draft and FA (in addition to fixing the O-line). I just dont see that happening this year unless we make some miraculous trade downs, trade off Gonzo and LJ for 2nd rounders (not likely), AND do a killing in FA.

If we stay in the 4-3, I think we are 2 LBs and a DE away from a good defense. It is definitely feasible to do this in one year. One LB and a DE in FA, OL in first and 3rd round, LB in 2nd round. Suddenly our defense becomes competitive next year.

I am not at all commenting on the virtues of a 3-4 vs 4-3 defense. Just commenting on the time it would take us to build a 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    So I read somewhere online (cant remember or find the source at the moment) that Pioli is a big fan of the 3-4 and he will want us to change to the 3-4. I think if we do that it is going to be 2-3 years before our defense is back to top form again. Right now I dont think we have any of the personnel on the DL, and really only one LB that can handle the 3-4.

I think DJ would be great in the 3-4, it would allow him to slim back down, get faster, and we can just let him get after the QB kind of like the Ravens use Suggs. I think if we just tell him kill the qb on almost every play, he will look a lot better. He has always looked good blitzing.

As far as the D-line, Dorsey isnt nearly big enough to be a NT, and I think he is too big to be a 3-4 DE. Hali is a bit small to be a 3-4 DE against the run. Tyler maybe has the size/speed to move to 3-4 DE. I am not sure if McBride will fit in either.

So if we move to the 3-4, we really only have 2 players in the front 7. That means we have to pick up 5 players between the draft and FA (in addition to fixing the O-line). I just dont see that happening this year unless we make some miraculous trade downs, trade off Gonzo and LJ for 2nd rounders (not likely), AND do a killing in FA.

If we stay in the 4-3, I think we are 2 LBs and a DE away from a good defense. It is definitely feasible to do this in one year. One LB and a DE in FA, OL in first and 3rd round, LB in 2nd round. Suddenly our defense becomes competitive next year.

I am not at all commenting on the virtues of a 3-4 vs 4-3 defense. Just commenting on the time it would take us to build a 3-4.
    We have almost no personnel suited for the 3-4. DJ would need to grow a whole lot stronger, and our CBs would need to play a whole lot more physical. Our front four would have the be abandoned. We could try Dorsey at DE, I guess, but Tank, Turk, and Hali are massively unsuited for a 3-4 defense (too small and weak).

As much as I think Carr had a better 2008 than Flowers, I think Flowers would be a better fit in a 3-4 defense.

Pollard is actually the best fit for the 3-4 of all our current personnel given his physicality.

Everyone else would probably need to go.

There would be an adjustment period, but I really like the 3-4 defense. You might see us starting to draft guys now that could play a 3-4 in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    There would be an adjustment period, but I really like the 3-4 defense. You might see us starting to draft guys now that could play a 3-4 in a couple of years.
    The best 3-4 guy in this year's draft is Maualuga. If we draft him at the 3-spot, it probably spells the beginning of a shift from 4-3 to 3-4. And good riddance.

I agree full heartily with the 3-4 scheme, and Pioli has been familiar with it for a while now. I also appreciate your acceptance of an unlikely TG or LJ trade, which so many people talk about. A 3-4 would work wonders with Maualuga, or even the Orakpo/Johnson grab. DJ can do his college ball-attack, and Maualuga would be a solid wall or Orakpo/Johnson/even Hali would benefit greatly from the space to speed up at a 4LB move.

I mentioned in the other thread I would like to see a 3-4, but I agree mostly with the sentiments presented. We just dont have the personnell for it.

Sure we do

Dorsey would do great at De in a 3-4 because of his ability to get to the QB and not be a run stuffer like they used him this year.

Tamba would make a good LB as well. He has pretty good speed and if he lost those pounds he gained when he came from college he would be fine.

EDIT: Then I woudl make a push for Haynesworth to be my NT. Ya he might nit be a NT type guy BUT he woudl be a Pro-Bowler at it I'm sure.

I think even if we don't switch to a 3-4 we should look really hard at Maualuga. He is a animal. He was hurt a good majority of this year, but when he is healthy, he is as good as anyone in the draft. And he doesn't really have a long history of being injured. I would be happy with Orakapo also. We have so many needs right now, a lot of people look good. I just don't really want to take a QB with the 3rd pick this year.

Yeah, I have to say, I'll be good with anyone at #3 except for a qb.

We have no personnel for the 3/4, 4/3, cover-2 or any other defense. Our entire front 7 should be GONE.
    Our DC should be GONE.
    Our DL coach should be GONE.
    Our HC should be GONE.
    Full steam ahead and send mediocrity to Hell!
    SHUT IT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast