Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Pioli sticking with Herm for 1 year in order to get Cowher?

Default Is Pioli sticking with Herm for 1 year in order to get Cowher?

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Cowher to Kansas City in 2010? «

File this one under a Chiefs area to watch next season.

CBS analyst Boomer Esiason said on his WFAN-NY radio show this week that he would not be surprised if Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli hired Bill Cowher to coach Kansas City in 2010.

This is intriguing on any number of levels.

For starters, Esiason works with Cowher and is familiar with his thinking.

Then there is the matter of Esiason also saying that Cowher and Pioli are close friends.

Also, Cowher served as the Chiefs defensive coordinator from 1989-’91, so he is familiar with the city.

And Pioli appears to have been stymied so far in his search for Kansas City’s next head coach. Sources around the league insist that Pioli had interest in bringing along Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as his head coach, but Denver hired him.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz also is thought to appeal to Pioli, but the indications are that he is not willing to leave school.

And when Pioli stepped to the podium for his introductory press conference Wednesday, he said he would sit down and speak with Chiefs coach Herman Edwards, whom Pioli knows, likes and respects.

Edwards could be the holdover, the bridge to the next head coach, partly because other coaches were not available, partly because Pioli likes him and partly because Edwards already has one year left on his contract that is scheduled to expire after next season.

But the coaching watch of 2010 already has almost as much intrigue as the ongoing coaching watch of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Cowher to Kansas City in 2010? «

File this one under a Chiefs area to watch next season.

CBS analyst Boomer Esiason said on his WFAN-NY radio show this week that he would not be surprised if Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli hired Bill Cowher to coach Kansas City in 2010.

This is intriguing on any number of levels.

For starters, Esiason works with Cowher and is familiar with his thinking.

Then there is the matter of Esiason also saying that Cowher and Pioli are close friends.

Also, Cowher served as the Chiefs defensive coordinator from 1989-’91, so he is familiar with the city.

And Pioli appears to have been stymied so far in his search for Kansas City’s next head coach. Sources around the league insist that Pioli had interest in bringing along Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as his head coach, but Denver hired him.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz also is thought to appeal to Pioli, but the indications are that he is not willing to leave school.

And when Pioli stepped to the podium for his introductory press conference Wednesday, he said he would sit down and speak with Chiefs coach Herman Edwards, whom Pioli knows, likes and respects.

Edwards could be the holdover, the bridge to the next head coach, partly because other coaches were not available, partly because Pioli likes him and partly because Edwards already has one year left on his contract that is scheduled to expire after next season.

But the coaching watch of 2010 already has almost as much intrigue as the ongoing coaching watch of 2009.
    Pioli can't be that dumb, as to keep a lame duck coach for a year in the hopes that you'll be able to lure someone out of retirement to coach for your team in a year. As much as I respect Cowher, he isn't worth throwing away the 2009 season for. And I don't want Herm wrecking our defense further with his Cover 2 gibberish.

Cowher's a great coach, but comeon! He won one SB in a weak year. He choked nearly as many big games as Marty. I like him a whole lot better than Herm, but the sun doesn't exactly rise and set with the guy.

This would just be stupid. The chiefs have a chance to be good enough to win the crappy afc west next year. If Pioli dosen't think herm is the coach beyond next season, then end it now. If Cowher wants to coach the chiefs, now is the time.

yeah, I believe if we keep Herm, its not in savings for Cowher, its simply because all of Pioli's guys aren't available. I think we may keep Herm just let him fulfil his rebuilding plan, and to wait in general for the slew of opportunities for 2010. Herm's only real issue is his amazing field management He has done a good job at helping develop young players, so maybe Pioli focuses on letting OC's and DC's call their play work, then get Herm better at time management. How hard can it be for Herm to realize, "okay.. I'm gonna save the timeouts for when our offense is on the field?"

I would hope pioli isn't planning to throw 2009 under the bus waiting for cower. it's possible he doesn't see a better candidate available now than herm, although a cardboard cutout of Hank Stram would be an improvement

If Pioli doesn't think Herm is the guy he should get rid of him now. No reason to tank the 09' season. Let Chan or someone be the interm coach (not saying it has to be him) for a year if he really wants to go after Cowher. But don't stick with a lame duck coach.

Quote Originally Posted by KCCAT21 View Post
    If Pioli doesn't think Herm is the guy he should get rid of him now. No reason to tank the 09' season. Let Chan or someone be the interm coach (not saying it has to be him) for a year if he really wants to go after Cowher. But don't stick with a lame duck coach.
    The 09 season is already tanked!

We may not make the playoffs, but it is not tanked. Not yet. Lets find out who the coach is and who we draft first.

No. There are no guarentees of what may happen between now and the end of next season. Would be assinine to keep Herm 1 year in the hopes of landing Cowher a year later. Hell, Cowher may get hit by a bus and then what?
    SHUT IT

Boomer was probably joking! He doesn't care at all for the chiefs. During the halftime show where they give their predictions Boomer always had something to say about why he thought the chiefs were going to lose the game of that weekend, he's been that way for years. That's why I'm not to fond of him.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast