Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Draft a QB or kiss Cowher goodbye!

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

Default Draft a QB or kiss Cowher goodbye!

Bill Cowher may very well be the next Chiefs coach. However, according to Jerome Bettis Cowher is looking for a job that has a franchise QB. The fans love Thigpen but coaches hate him because he can't play in an NFL style offense. If we keep horrible Herm Edwards and fire him at the end of next season we need a QB to land Cowher. It's either draft one, make a play for Cassel since he is the only young QB out there who will need a job (which I think KC will do since Cassel will want to start and Pioli will be able to get him here, I don't think they will get him though), or lose Cowher.

Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli in KC in 2010? | Larry Brown Sports

Quote Originally Posted by leoness8 View Post
    Everyone is big about Matt Cassel right now and I dont know why. Yes he played well during the season for the patriots, but that was only one season. Who knows what he will bring next season. Some qbs can have one or two good seasons and than easily flop. I dont think there is a need to bring in a guy like matt cassel...he isnt much better than Thigpen anyway. If they bring in a QB it should be a guy that is proven and consistant to help out Thigpen as well as if the chiefs draft a rookie QB.
    Good points. Matt Cassel played in a Belichick system with some outstanding offensive players. Put him on the Lions and what's he gonna win? For me, trading for him is a risk even though our new GM is familiar with him. There is a world of difference between the GMs office and coaching the sidelines.

i think if Thigpen plays on the pats they win 11 games, if casalls plays on the CHIEFS, we win 2 games

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    Bill Cowher may very well be the next Chiefs coach. However, according to Jerome Bettis Cowher is looking for a job that has a franchise QB. The fans love Thigpen but coaches hate him because he can't play in an NFL style offense. If we keep horrible Herm Edwards and fire him at the end of next season we need a QB to land Cowher. It's either draft one, make a play for Cassel since he is the only young QB out there who will need a job (which I think KC will do since Cassel will want to start and Pioli will be able to get him here, I don't think they will get him though), or lose Cowher.

Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli in KC in 2010? | Larry Brown Sports
    I would be very surprised if we got either Cowher or Cassell. First, when Cowher decides to coach again he's going to ask for a lot of money and I think he'll want to coach a high profile team that's close to winning a chamionship. Which currently the Chiefs aren't either. And I'd be surprised if the Chiefs will be willing to pay Cowher's asking price. Second, I don't see any way the Patriots will let Cassell get away. Especially, when Brady's return is still not certain when that will be.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
    I am so sick of hearing the statement that "Thigpen CAN'T play a NFL style offense.. Heck, no one could with the O-line we had this year.. Some of you fans ought to really get over this "quick fix" syndrome.
    You build the team from the inside out.. O-line, and front 7...

Then see what a QB can do..
    Here here by Godfrey, rep added!

I too am so sick of people who think that we had to change our offense for Thigpen to be comfortable. You bought into another of Squirmin Herman's lies!

Look, they went with the spread because of the offensive line. In fact, later in the season, Squirmin Herman even came out and said that the reason they went with the spread was more for the offensive lineman than it was for Thigpen. It made the young offensive line more comfortable, but it also helped Thigpen too.

Look, there is a reason high schools, colleges and sand lots all over America use the spread offense. to give the QB, that one more second to make a connection with a receiver, and to spread the defense out allowing someone to get open quicker. Why do you need to do these things, usually because those people playing on the offensive line cannot block the defenders and your poor QB finds himself on his backside more often than not.

One more thing about Cassel. When you look at our games this season and the scores of those games, you will see that there are 8 games where we lost by a touchdown or less. Guess what, if the defense played just a little bit better in those games, Thigpen is a 10 and 6 quarterback.

Yeah, right now I am a Thigpen fan, the kid has done more this season than any of the other Qbs we have, he is mobile, his passes have gotten much better since Atlanta.

Look it is a team game, but we can actually compare his stats in his first real year to two first round drafted quarterbacks. Go on over to NFL.com and compare, go on, I'll wait.

Ok, back? Now we see that Thigpen actually performed as well, if not better than Flacco but not as good as Ryan. To me that makes him look like a first round pick. Is he the answer? I don't know for sure, but if the Chiefs had finished 10 and 6 from a little better defensive play with Thigpen at the helm, we would not be having this discussion.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Thig will be just fine imo.

This is a whole new ball game sorta speak with Pioli. He loves the draft and he knows what he wants and he knows how to pick'em. I have said this in the past and I still believe Pioli will keep thig. But I also believe he will grab a QB in the draft, First round? Maybe and maybe not, and I believe he will get a young proven vet for a complete knock down drag out at camp.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    This is a whole new ball game sorta speak with Pioli. He loves the draft and he knows what he wants and he knows how to pick'em. I have said this in the past and I still believe Pioli will keep thig. But I also believe he will grab a QB in the draft, First round? Maybe and maybe not, and I believe he will get a young proven vet for a complete knock down drag out at camp.
    Agreed! I believe a QB is on the menu this draft, I am pretty sure that it will not be a first round pick.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I would be ok with drafting a QB in the later rounds. Just not early.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Here here by Godfrey, rep added!

I too am so sick of people who think that we had to change our offense for Thigpen to be comfortable. You bought into another of Squirmin Herman's lies!

Look, they went with the spread because of the offensive line. In fact, later in the season, Squirmin Herman even came out and said that the reason they went with the spread was more for the offensive lineman than it was for Thigpen. It made the young offensive line more comfortable, but it also helped Thigpen too.

Look, there is a reason high schools, colleges and sand lots all over America use the spread offense. to give the QB, that one more second to make a connection with a receiver, and to spread the defense out allowing someone to get open quicker. Why do you need to do these things, usually because those people playing on the offensive line cannot block the defenders and your poor QB finds himself on his backside more often than not.

One more thing about Cassel. When you look at our games this season and the scores of those games, you will see that there are 8 games where we lost by a touchdown or less. Guess what, if the defense played just a little bit better in those games, Thigpen is a 10 and 6 quarterback.

Yeah, right now I am a Thigpen fan, the kid has done more this season than any of the other Qbs we have, he is mobile, his passes have gotten much better since Atlanta.

Look it is a team game, but we can actually compare his stats in his first real year to two first round drafted quarterbacks. Go on over to NFL.com and compare, go on, I'll wait.

Ok, back? Now we see that Thigpen actually performed as well, if not better than Flacco but not as good as Ryan. To me that makes him look like a first round pick. Is he the answer? I don't know for sure, but if the Chiefs had finished 10 and 6 from a little better defensive play with Thigpen at the helm, we would not be having this discussion.
    Yeah I agreed. I don't think we need a qb. Tyler did a great job with the team we had. Its about time someone talked about the defense. Gunther just aint gettin done!!! If we had just a little bit of a defense we would have been 10-6 and division champs. Look at the tampa bay game...up by 21 points and can't get the job done. All the defense had to do is stop them for 59 more seconds..give me a break. If we do keep herm we need to fire gunther!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kc247 View Post
    Yeah I agreed. I don't think we need a qb. Tyler did a great job with the team we had. Its about time someone talked about the defense. Gunther just aint gettin done!!! If we had just a little bit of a defense we would have been 10-6 and division champs. Look at the tampa bay game...up by 21 points and can't get the job done. All the defense had to do is stop them for 59 more seconds..give me a break. If we do keep herm we need to fire gunther!!!!!

No worries...I think he may go to Detroit.
    NFL.com Blogs Gunter Cunningham «

If he goes, this would be the 3rd coach on our staff to make a lateral coaching change to another team...I think. This makes me think more and more that Herm is going to be gone.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast