Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Draft a QB or kiss Cowher goodbye!

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

Default Draft a QB or kiss Cowher goodbye!

Bill Cowher may very well be the next Chiefs coach. However, according to Jerome Bettis Cowher is looking for a job that has a franchise QB. The fans love Thigpen but coaches hate him because he can't play in an NFL style offense. If we keep horrible Herm Edwards and fire him at the end of next season we need a QB to land Cowher. It's either draft one, make a play for Cassel since he is the only young QB out there who will need a job (which I think KC will do since Cassel will want to start and Pioli will be able to get him here, I don't think they will get him though), or lose Cowher.

Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli in KC in 2010? | Larry Brown Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Here here by Godfrey, rep added!

I too am so sick of people who think that we had to change our offense for Thigpen to be comfortable. You bought into another of Squirmin Herman's lies!

Look, they went with the spread because of the offensive line. In fact, later in the season, Squirmin Herman even came out and said that the reason they went with the spread was more for the offensive lineman than it was for Thigpen. It made the young offensive line more comfortable, but it also helped Thigpen too.

Look, there is a reason high schools, colleges and sand lots all over America use the spread offense. to give the QB, that one more second to make a connection with a receiver, and to spread the defense out allowing someone to get open quicker. Why do you need to do these things, usually because those people playing on the offensive line cannot block the defenders and your poor QB finds himself on his backside more often than not.

One more thing about Cassel. When you look at our games this season and the scores of those games, you will see that there are 8 games where we lost by a touchdown or less. Guess what, if the defense played just a little bit better in those games, Thigpen is a 10 and 6 quarterback.

Yeah, right now I am a Thigpen fan, the kid has done more this season than any of the other Qbs we have, he is mobile, his passes have gotten much better since Atlanta.

Look it is a team game, but we can actually compare his stats in his first real year to two first round drafted quarterbacks. Go on over to NFL.com and compare, go on, I'll wait.

Ok, back? Now we see that Thigpen actually performed as well, if not better than Flacco but not as good as Ryan. To me that makes him look like a first round pick. Is he the answer? I don't know for sure, but if the Chiefs had finished 10 and 6 from a little better defensive play with Thigpen at the helm, we would not be having this discussion.
    I agree that Thigpen played well enough this season to earn the starting job or at least the right to compete for the starting job next season. IMO, if I were the Chiefs I would pencil Thigpen in as the starter and have Croyle as the back up. Then look to pick up a QB in the 3rd-4th round of the draft and groom him for the future. That way we could use our early round picks on the defense where we need to most help.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Bonner Springs, KS (Home of the worst water in the U.S.A.)

Quote Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
    I am so sick of hearing the statement that "Thigpen CAN'T play a NFL style offense.. Heck, no one could with the O-line we had this year.. Some of you fans ought to really get over this "quick fix" syndrome.
    You build the team from the inside out.. O-line, and front 7...

Then see what a QB can do..
    Don't tell me, tell Bill Cowher.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    I agree that Thigpen played well enough this season to earn the starting job or at least the right to compete for the starting job next season. IMO, if I were the Chiefs I would pencil Thigpen in as the starter and have Croyle as the back up. Then look to pick up a QB in the 3rd-4th round of the draft and groom him for the future. That way we could use our early round picks on the defense where we need to most help.

I don't believe Coyle will be in the picture next year, nor will Damon..

cowher yes. cassel no.

Tyler(small guy) QB rating 76. I think we should make him our franchise QB with the stat. 18 td 12 int. Can he see over the def. Maybe that is another reason for the spread. 76 is that because we had a poor defense???

Default Grooming a QB

We tried the whole draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round and try to groom him, and that's how we ended up in the mess this season, his name was Brodie Croyle.

Thigpen deserves more credit than what he is getting, I hope that he proves every single doubter that just want's to blame someone wrong!

I feel that he is a talented athlete that will be able to excel with the right talent around him. He's young, basically a rookie and he is ranked 13th in the NFL this season with 18 TD passes, one less than Chad Pennington, and people raved about how great of a season he had and Thigpen only played like Half a season.

He's young, he's got a lot of heart and drive, I think he will do wonders for this team if given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by billb40 View Post
    Tyler(small guy) QB rating 76. I think we should make him our franchise QB with the stat. 18 td 12 int. Can he see over the def. Maybe that is another reason for the spread. 76 is that because we had a poor defense???
    Yeah, you know you're right, I guess he is not good enough. I changed my mind, I guess we would have rather had these players their first year eh?

Peyton Manning: 71 Rating, 26 Int
    Eli Manning: 55 Rating, 17 Int
    John Elway: 54 Rating, 14 Int

If we had these guys and we listened to you, we would have dumped them for a new draft pick. By the way, there is a very good chance that any quarterback picked will not put up as good of numbers as Thigpen has.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Thigpen is a good foundation for the team. Other than TG he really was the 2nd best offensive player. He's young and takes blame without the backfire, he's mobile, he listens everyone, and has reasonable composure. Why not stick with him until there's another qb who can fit into our puzzle.

If the Patriots do not place the franchise tag on Cassel, Pioli could very likely attempt to bring him in to be the centerpiece of his new team.

The Pats will not lose Cassell. They are more likely to lose Tom Brady. Seriously. I like Thigpen if we stay with the "spread" offense. If we change, then I think it is a crapshoot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast