Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, Check this one out!!

Default OK, Check this one out!!

The Chiefs had a horrible record last year but they were privileged enough to own the third overall selection in the upcoming NFL draft.
    I will be putting on the general manager hat for the next half an hour and will point out who I would like the Chiefs to select in the first four rounds of the draft. I'm sorry if you do not agree with who I select, but it's only an article so get over it.
    So sit back relax and enjoy.

Round 1
    Scott Pioli would love to trade down and accumulate picks at this spot, but I don't think he will be able to. Nobody at this point wants to trade up to pay millions of dollars when they can stay where they are and get a solid athlete. So with all of that being said, the Chiefs will select Mark Sanchez, quarterback from USC.
    Yes, I know you guys think Tyler Thigpen is the next Tom Brady but I just don't see it. Mark Sanchez looks to be a solid fit for the Chiefs here, and I expect him to shine brightly. The knock on Sanchez has been "lack of experience", but going 28-of-35 for 413 yards and four touchdowns versus Penn State in the Rose Bowl pretty much shut down those concerns.

fansnap_syndslot_get_headliner();fansnap_syndslot_ get_category();var fansnap_syndslot_instance = new fansnap_syndslot();var fansnap_script_include = new Element('script');fansnap_script_include.src = fansnap_syndslot_instance.server + '/synd/js/search?' + fansnap_syndslot_instance.params();$('fansnap-instance').insert(fansnap_script_include);Round 2
    Alright, Pioli has addressed the quarterback issue, now he needs to move to the defensive side of the ball. The Chiefs need major help at the linebacker spot, so I think with the 34th overall pick, the Kansas City will select outside linebacker Brian Cushing, also from USC.
    No, I'm not a USC fan. Cushing is a great pick for the Chiefs and he would be a solid outside linebacker when the Chiefs switch to the 3-4 defense. Cushing is a great coverage linebacker and I can't wait to see him in a Chiefs uniform.
    Round 3
    The Chiefs have had a good draft so far, but there are still many positions that could be addressed with the 67th pick in the '09 draft. And the third round selection for Kansas City, the Chiefs select Jonathon Luigs, center from Arkansas.
    Luigs provides good size for the center of the Chiefs' line, weighing 314 pounds. He could eventually be the starting center this year. His competition will be Rudy Niswanger, so right now nobody knows.
    Round 4
    This pick is a little tougher, but after looking at the prospects, I believe the Chiefs will select Jaison Williams, the wide receiver from Oregon. Williams is a HUGE receiver. He is 6'5" and weighs 240 pounds.
    He had some injuries in the '08 season and that is why I think he will fall to the fourth round. Williams could be the number three receiver come week one.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    I agree whole heartedly! To pick a QB in the 1st round would be a mistake IMO. Defense should be our main focus in this draft.
    And OL. I like either Curry or Monroe, depending on which way Pioli goes - offense or defense.
    SHUT IT

The D argument is nice but at the same time, how many games do we win if our O-line/RB could get an extra yard. We were horrible when it came down to 3rd and inches or 3rd and short. Our O-line couldn't push and LJ was caught in the backfield consistently. On 4th and inches we were always punting the ball away.. then teams would come back and score on us... We can't just blame the D (although they were horrible) because a lot of the blame goes to the Offense for their poor 3rd and 4th quarter showings as well.

We have so many holes to fill that I can't really justify who or what position we're supposed to pick.

How I see it is: we should get a few proven free agents to come in and have an immediate impact on the Defense. I say so because, what happens if we draft another Glen Dorsey or a Vernon Gholston - players who don't live up to their hype their rookie season??? Then our 09-10 D would be just as bad as last year 08-09, and we can't afford to have another year like that.

Since the Offensive side of the ball is looking a little brighter.... if we draft Offense first, we can at least let them adjust to the speed of the NFL and hope that they eventually live up to their hype, instead of expecting them to come in dominate right away (I know that many of you argue that at the #3 spot they should be able to start right away.. but i'm just saying at least it won't hurt us as much if the player doesn't have an immediate impact. If we're drafting Defense we better hope we get the next Ray Lewis, Demarcus ware, Pattrick Willis or someone who will dominate right away).

I would like to see us drafting an "O" lineman early in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    The D argument is nice but at the same time, how many games do we win if our O-line/RB could get an extra yard. We were horrible when it came down to 3rd and inches or 3rd and short. Our O-line couldn't push and LJ was caught in the backfield consistently. On 4th and inches we were always punting the ball away.. then teams would come back and score on us...
    I can buy part of that argument. But that doesn't change the fact that this team finished 31st out of 32 teams in team defense this season.

The only team that was worse, Detroit, finished as the worst team in NFL history by going a perfect 0-16. You may be asking yourself, when was the last time the Lions actually won a game? It was against the Chiefs in December of 2007.

But don't worry, the Chiefs also made some history of their own by only accumlating 10.5 sacks combined in a NFL season. The lowest number ever since the stat started being tracked in 1981.

This team needs to draft defense with the first pick or sign some stud defensive players in free agency. Offense with the #3 pick is a luxury this team can't afford in my opinion.

I agree 100% Coach!!!!!

IF we do not get BOTH DE and MLB in FA then either one HAS to be our pick in the first round.

We better hope that Pioli gets us one of the STUD DE's like Peppers or Suggs in FA. IF not we are screwed.

We can not afford to draft one of the DE's this year!!!! NONE of them are prime enough to come into the NFL and be that 10-15 Sack stud we need ATM. ALL the DE's are gonna take a couple of years to be good and maybe even great, but we need a DE that can do that NOW not in a couple of years.

SO lets hope Pioli gets us our DE and if he doesn't get our MLB too then we take either Rey Maualuga or Aaron Curry. I like Maualuga better, but Curry would work too. Besides Curry and Maualuga I do not think ANY of the DE's or LB's will be able to come into the NFL and make a impact right away like we need.

Honestly lets hope we get BOTH our DE and MLB in FA so we can afford to draft heavy for Oline THEN we can talk about a division push.

PLZZZZZ Pioli get us our DE and MLB PLZZZZZZ

I think we have to get at least one LB and one DE in FA. Otherwise we are looking at another sack-less season and blown 4th quarter leads (at best!). Any DE we draft is going to take 2 years at least to make an impact. Assuming we get two key free agents on defense (One LB, one DE), here is what I would like to see drafted by round.

1. OLB/MLB Preferably Maualuga, but I will take Curry
    2. Best OT on the board
    3. Either a DE or G/C
    4. Opposite of Round 3
    5-7. Either power running back, speedy wr/kr, or Best player available

I would be willing to switch my first and second pick around if we thought someone like Cushing from USC would be available at our #2 pick.

Depending on what happens in free agency my dream scenarios follow something along the lines of...

A. If we repeat FA chiefs history.

1. Trade down a few spots and grab Maualuga
    2a/b. (from trading down maybe or getting rid of LJ yess!) Unger, Best DE avaliable possibly anywhere from Michael Johnson to Paul Krueger
    3. Shonn Greene
    4. Best tackle avaliable

It's hard to even think about this kind of scenario, so many holes.

B. Decent FA's, preferably on the defensive side.

1. Oher/Smith
    2. Unger
    3. Greene
    4. best player avaliable, focus on LB, maybe a QB or linemen still on the board, though with the demand for linemen this draft and the size of the QB class, either would be a stretch, but maybe Josh Freeman is still on the board. I'm not sure how bad his draft projections have fallen, but he used to be a round 1/early 2 prospect, and he's shown some potential in the midst of mistakes. Throwing for 450 against OU is pretty impressive, allbeit the turnovers are killer.
    Last edited by Chief Tyler; 01-21-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Depending on what happens in free agency my dream scenarios follow something along the lines of...

2a/b. (from trading down maybe or getting rid of LJ yess!) Unger, Best DE avaliable possibly anywhere from Michael Johnson to Paul Krueger
    3. Shonn Greene
    4. Best tackle avaliable

1. Oher/Smith
    2. Unger
    3. Greene
    4. best player avaliable, focus on LB, maybe a QB or linemen still on the board, though with the demand for linemen this draft and the size of the QB class, either would be a stretch, but maybe Josh Freeman is still on the board. I'm not sure how bad his draft projections have fallen, but he used to be a round 1/early 2 prospect, and he's shown some potential in the midst of mistakes. Throwing for 450 against OU is pretty impressive, allbeit the turnovers are killer.
    Just a note... Unger has reportedly shown a real lack of strength at the senior bowl, and has been shoved around like a rag doll. I was high on him too, but that's a terrible sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post

3. Shonn Greene
    4. Best tackle avaliable

1. Oher/Smith
    2. Unger
    3. Greene
    I also like Shonn Greene a lot if we could get in him in the top of the 4th it would be a steal.

Greene seems to be projected to go somewhere in the late 1st round to late 2nd round at this point... it would probably take a poor combine or some great luck for him to drop to our 3rd pick, unfortunately.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast