Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun to Detroit?

Default Gun to Detroit?

am SchefterCunningham could join Schwartz in Detroit
    Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Detroit Lions, Gunter Cunningham, Jim Schwartz
    It didn’t take long for the Detroit Lions’ new head coach, Jim Schwartz, to begin reaching out to assistant coaching candidates.
    Schwartz asked for and received permission to interview Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who worked with him on the Tennessee Titans’ staff from 2001 to 2003.
    Cunningham’s job security in Kansas City is tenuous at best, and the fact that he was one of the first coaches that Schwartz contacted is a sign of how much he is wanted in Detroit. One league source said that Cunningham is expected to be hired in Detroit.
    Cunningham could wind up being Schwartz’s defensive coordinator with the Lions, working under him in the same way he did for three seasons when he was the Titans’ linebackers coach and Schwartz was the defensive coordinator.
    If it’s the end of Cunningham’s career in Kansas City, the curtain will fall on a man who had an attachment to the city. Cunningham spent 11 years with the Chiefs, including two in which he was the head coach in 1999 and 2000.

SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Cunningham could join Schwartz in Detroit", url: "http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/16/cunningham-could-join-schwartz-in-detroit/" });

hmmmmm....maybe they have all been told to pack up but just not announced yet?

Good luck Gunther. Glad to see a change for KC though.

The Lions could do a lot worse than Gunther Cunningham.

Just my two cents here - Granted, I understand that its time for some change in KC - but I still believe Gunther has a lot of coaching experience to offer, in the right situation.

This season wasn't Gun's fault. The year before the Chiefs had a very highly ranked defense.

So what happens? His star defensive end (Jared Allen) managed to get himself DUI's and the front office didn't do it's job and find Gunther talent to replace him. It also didn't help when Donnie Edwards got hurt and the only way they really had to replace him was move Derrick Johnson (a guy who plays good, but not great) into the middle linebacker job. Come to think of it - it's been a revolving door of free agency linebackers for some time now, has any of them ever panned out?

I also think that the reason that Pollard, Flowers, Carr and Legget have improved so much has do due with Gun's aggressive attitude as it does Herm's goofy 3rd & 4th down play calling!!

Gun has a long history of being a very good defensive coach. How much authority he had under the current Head coach is questionable. Good to see there are those who still have confidence in him. I wish nothing but the best for the man.

Gun is one of my favorite coaches ever. He got the shaft when he was fired as head coach. But its just not working this time around, for whatever reason, (Herm), and its time for a new DC in KC. Best of luck to coach Gun going forward.

Maybe Gunther could be like new and make the lions' dl as fearsome as the chiefs' dl used to be years ago. More power to all that might be effected.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Default Good Luck Gun! We will miss you.

What happened to Gun this year no talent. Whose fault? King Carl's. I'm sure Gun just loves having the lowest sack total for a season on his resume.

good luck to gun i am glad to see him gone but i wish him well

Good luck in Detroit. It's not quite spring, but the house needs cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast