Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OK, Check this one out!!

Default OK, Check this one out!!

The Chiefs had a horrible record last year but they were privileged enough to own the third overall selection in the upcoming NFL draft.
    I will be putting on the general manager hat for the next half an hour and will point out who I would like the Chiefs to select in the first four rounds of the draft. I'm sorry if you do not agree with who I select, but it's only an article so get over it.
    So sit back relax and enjoy.

Round 1
    Scott Pioli would love to trade down and accumulate picks at this spot, but I don't think he will be able to. Nobody at this point wants to trade up to pay millions of dollars when they can stay where they are and get a solid athlete. So with all of that being said, the Chiefs will select Mark Sanchez, quarterback from USC.
    Yes, I know you guys think Tyler Thigpen is the next Tom Brady but I just don't see it. Mark Sanchez looks to be a solid fit for the Chiefs here, and I expect him to shine brightly. The knock on Sanchez has been "lack of experience", but going 28-of-35 for 413 yards and four touchdowns versus Penn State in the Rose Bowl pretty much shut down those concerns.

fansnap_syndslot_get_headliner();fansnap_syndslot_ get_category();var fansnap_syndslot_instance = new fansnap_syndslot();var fansnap_script_include = new Element('script');fansnap_script_include.src = fansnap_syndslot_instance.server + '/synd/js/search?' + fansnap_syndslot_instance.params();$('fansnap-instance').insert(fansnap_script_include);Round 2
    Alright, Pioli has addressed the quarterback issue, now he needs to move to the defensive side of the ball. The Chiefs need major help at the linebacker spot, so I think with the 34th overall pick, the Kansas City will select outside linebacker Brian Cushing, also from USC.
    No, I'm not a USC fan. Cushing is a great pick for the Chiefs and he would be a solid outside linebacker when the Chiefs switch to the 3-4 defense. Cushing is a great coverage linebacker and I can't wait to see him in a Chiefs uniform.
    Round 3
    The Chiefs have had a good draft so far, but there are still many positions that could be addressed with the 67th pick in the '09 draft. And the third round selection for Kansas City, the Chiefs select Jonathon Luigs, center from Arkansas.
    Luigs provides good size for the center of the Chiefs' line, weighing 314 pounds. He could eventually be the starting center this year. His competition will be Rudy Niswanger, so right now nobody knows.
    Round 4
    This pick is a little tougher, but after looking at the prospects, I believe the Chiefs will select Jaison Williams, the wide receiver from Oregon. Williams is a HUGE receiver. He is 6'5" and weighs 240 pounds.
    He had some injuries in the '08 season and that is why I think he will fall to the fourth round. Williams could be the number three receiver come week one.

address OL, DE, or MLB in the 1st to rounds. It's difficult for me to pick out who we'll draft at this point cuz Smith and Oher look very similar, Orakpo-Johnson-Ev.Brown all play well enough to impact, and Maualuga is probably the best MLB in the draft. If Greene is there in the 3rd do it. If Freeman happens to be there in the 4th do that. 5th on is pretty much the best people on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    wow and pass on crabtree?? that would be kinda stupid.
    I'm not sold on Crabtree yet. Gotta hunch that he will not be very durable, along with Percy Harvin.

We drafted a #1 a couple of years ago and he is fairing pretty well after 2 years. Get an LB or DL/DE and go to the FA market for the OL and a standout WR.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Just a note... Unger has reportedly shown a real lack of strength at the senior bowl, and has been shoved around like a rag doll. I was high on him too, but that's a terrible sign.
    Yea, I haven't seen any senior bowl highlights or player reviews yet, but thats really disappointing. I like Mack a lot better but we would need a trading miracle to get a second first round pick. Maybe we could trade down into the late twenties for him and pick up a bunch of 2/3/4/5 picks, but thats really hard to justify with all the holes we have.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Greene seems to be projected to go somewhere in the late 1st round to late 2nd round at this point... it would probably take a poor combine or some great luck for him to drop to our 3rd pick, unfortunately.
    Has he moved up in the last few weeks? The few sources I've seen had him at a 3rd round spot, maybe late second. The real knocking point was his age. I think he's 24 at this point, but if he turns out good and little lucky the team picking him up could get a good 6-8 years of value out of him.

here is my favorite mock draft i have found

1 Michael Johnson DE GT

2 Phil Loadholt OT OK

3 Asher Allen CB G

4 Kraig Urbik OG Wis

5 Jason Phillips ILB TCU

6 Pat White QB WV

7 Jarett Villard WR Rice

except instead of Allen at #3 i like eitherJamon Merrideth OT, Vance Walker DT or Clay Mathews OLB

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    I'm not sold on Crabtree yet. Gotta hunch that he will not be very durable, along with Percy Harvin.

We drafted a #1 a couple of years ago and he is fairing pretty well after 2 years. Get an LB or DL/DE and go to the FA market for the OL and a standout WR.
    I agree with you on Crabtree.
    But I think you have it backwards on the draft. This years draft is loaded with quality OL and this years' FA market will be loaded with talented defensive starters. We need help right now! A rookie OL can be drafted and contribute right away with a relatively low risk factor. Anybody we draft at DE or LB will take 2-3 years to develop. I say draft OL and FA defense with our current situation...JMHO!
    SHUT IT

I definately think Pat White would be a good move. He's a good qb who can do wr, and he'll be there late. And I gotta say it's smart to shop up the defense through FA. There are tons of DE's and LB's in FA, OL/WR/DB aren't very plentiful in the FA however.
    Last edited by leaves; 01-21-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Has he moved up in the last few weeks? The few sources I've seen had him at a 3rd round spot, maybe late second. The real knocking point was his age. I think he's 24 at this point, but if he turns out good and little lucky the team picking him up could get a good 6-8 years of value out of him.
    I dunno.. I try to follow the mocks that update the most.

Late 2nd - http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009_2.php

Late 1st - 2009 NFL Mock Draft

And I can't link it because I think you need ESPN Insider, but Scouts Inc. has Greene currently rated as an 83 which projects out to a mid to late 2nd rounder.

I really hope we could get him with a 3rd, but I just don't want to get my hopes up.

I figured I'd throw together a mock.. there's probably some reaches here, but it's our job to go with best case scenarios right? :) This is taking into account the most recent information I have, including buzz from the first 2 at the Senior Bowl.

1. Eugene Monroe, OT. This is a downer for me, because as of right now I'd rather have Andre Smith but I believe the Rams will take him 2nd overall. I think we have to go with a safe pick, and can we really go wrong with a guy who played on the same line as Albert in college and caused him to play at Guard? I also like that Albert could move to Guard permanently, where I think he could be a pro bowler.

Believe it or not, I actually considered B.J. Raji here, if and only if we switch to a 3-4, based on what I'm hearing at the Senior Bowl. He's going to be skyrocketing up the mocks and looks to be a pro bowl NT in the making.

2. Phil Loadholt, OT. Because I like big huge linemen and Bradford hasn't been touched aside from the Florida game.

3. Larry English, DE. I've never been a big fan of writing a guy off because of his size. I'll always take a small guy who has performed over a big guy who hasn't (Michael Johnson). This paragraph from his performance at the Senior Bowl so far says it all:

Northern Illinois's Larry English is separating himself from another undersized defensive end/outside linebacker prospect -- Connecticut's Cody Brown -- and working his way into the first day of the draft. English is playing with more of an edge and showing better upper body than Brown as a run defender. He has also been a step quicker around the corner than Brown has been in rushing the passer.

4. Rashad Jennings, RB. I want Shonn Greene, but I'll settle for Jennings. Virtually identical to LJ in size at a measured 6'1" 234 lbs with reportedly almost no body fat. This guy can be our thunder to Charles' lightning. A legit downhill plower.

5. Rhett Bomar, QB. Number 1 QB prospect coming out of high school, had some problems and ended up playing at Sam Houston St. Perfect type of guy to take a flyer on and see what happens.

6. Sammie Hill, DT. Admittedly, I know nothing about this guy but he's 6'3" 330 lbs and we have no big stuffers to throw in there for running situations.

7. Kaluka Maiava, OLB. Because it's a great year for USC linebackers!

O-Line: Check.
    Pass Rusher: Check.
    LJ Replacement: Check.
    QB with potential: Check.
    Last edited by yashi; 01-21-2009 at 01:38 PM.

I'm with you selecting Monroe as our 1st pick - even if Andre Smith is still on the board. As for the rest of the draft, it really depends on what we do in FA. But Loadholt would be a good 2nd pick also.
    SHUT IT

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast