Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Our WR's

Default Our WR's

I have been a fan for at least 20 years...So tell me why we have not had a REAL standout reciever WITH a complimentary #2??

I remember J.J. Birden, Willie Davis, Derrick Alexander and Joe Horn and FEW more. Although Horn was not THE go to guy and Alexander on the tail end of his career.

What about Sylvester Morris? Nothing.

Whoever takes the helm, or stays at the helm, needs to be sure that we get 2 more noteworthy recievers.

Oh..A couple of more things..With TG and DB, that is a great start but we have to have some SPEED to compliment and keep the defense stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    The only knock I've every heard on Raji is that he's just a little too short to be a traditional NT in a 3-4. He's listed as 6'1", but it wouldn't shock me if he were really a couple inches shorter. I want him measured before we pick him.

And I agree, we'd be nuts to take either Stafford or Sanchez in the 1st. Frankly, I see both dropping like stones until the middle of the round, when teams like the Vikings, Jets, and Bucs pick.
    I agree, ideally he'd be at least around 6'3" or 6'4", though Casey Hampton is the best of the best when it comes it NTs, and he's listed at 6'1" 325.

Here's a listing of all Senior Bowl measurements:

Draft Countdown - 2009 Senior Bowl Weigh-In

gotta love that comment, "Stocky fireplug with a huge butt".

6'1 5/8", 334 lbs. Nice to see he's on the taller side of 6'1" and actually bigger than his listed weight of 323. Normally I'd say he just put away some double cheeseburgers before the weigh in, but being that he's performing so well I don't think that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I agree, ideally he'd be at least around 6'3" or 6'4", though Casey Hampton is the best of the best when it comes it NTs, and he's listed at 6'1" 325.

Here's a listing of all Senior Bowl measurements:

Draft Countdown - 2009 Senior Bowl Weigh-In

gotta love that comment, "Stocky fireplug with a huge butt".

6'1 5/8", 334 lbs. Nice to see he's on the taller side of 6'1" and actually bigger than his listed weight of 323. Normally I'd say he just put away some double cheeseburgers before the weigh in, but being that he's performing so well I don't think that's the case.
    You've convinced me. Let's wheel and deal our way to the Maualuga/Raji foundation for our 3-4 defense!

Vince Wilfork is only 6'2", so from the sounds of it, I'm sure he'd do fine.

I always thought that NT werent supposed to be too tall. Being shorter makes it easier for them to get leverage under the centers and drive them back.

One of the knocks on our C Niswanger is that he is too tall to play C (6'5"), which is why some scouts say he should move to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I always thought that NT werent supposed to be too tall. Being shorter makes it easier for them to get leverage under the centers and drive them back.

One of the knocks on our C Niswanger is that he is too tall to play C (6'5"), which is why some scouts say he should move to guard.
    that is a good point. Admittedly I'm not too familiar with what separates a good NT from a bad one, aside from being gigantic and forcing the offense to block him with multiple guys.

It's fun seeing the great ones shove multiple linemen around like they're little kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    HELLO PEOPLE. Who gives a sh!t about wr's if there is nobody upright to deliver the ball to them.
    Or that we currently field the leagues 31st ranked defense.
    Its all about priorities.
    And its all about beer. I think I'll have 1 or 12 right now.
    I agree with you on your points as well.

Why do you think the D was 31rst? We had rookies..We had a crappy Tampa cover 2....Our defense was always on the field....We did not have enough of a downfield threat to pursuade the defense to back out of the box...Recievers could NOT get open which is why Thigpen was always running around, buying time.

Deny all of that??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by dkennedy2323 View Post
    Our line can't hold blocks long enough for a WR to get open downfield.... and if they do, I'm not sure Thigpen has the arm strength or downfield accuracy to make those big-play throws.... We need to fix our line first... Bulking up on WR now would be like putting expensive chrome wheels on our '92 Corolla that keeps breaking down.
    I never said anything about "bulking up" on WR's. My case is that we need a legit compliment to Bowe...Which would be "speed" in order to stretch the field.

Do we need other positions filled? Sure, we do.

Unfortunately, do not get to see all of the KC games anymore since I am now in Alabama but I try to read and watch as much info as possible and one thing for sure....I never heard any KC WR's, other than Bowe mentioned on Sports Center or anywhere else.

Also, like I said earlier..If they chose to stick with what we have, then someone will have to step up this year in a big way. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    I agree with you on your points as well.

Why do you think the D was 31rst? We had rookies..We had a crappy Tampa cover 2....Our defense was always on the field....We did not have enough of a downfield threat to pursuade the defense to back out of the box...Recievers could NOT get open which is why Thigpen was always running around, buying time.

Deny all of that??? lol
    Not to be too hard on our defensive personnel, but it didn't help that we opened the season with stiffs at MLB (Thomas), DE (Boone/Turk), DT (Tank), and ROLB (Williams/Edwards) who shouldn't have been anywhere near a NFL starting job.

And supposed starters of the future in Hali, DJ, and Page clearly regressed. And that Dorsey, either because of bad coaching or lack of talent, was not the impact rookie the Chiefs claimed he'd be.

I think a significant portion of our problems can be placed on the defensive players themselves, not just the coaches. Our offense did its part in building leads those last nine weeks. Our defense failed spectacularly in holding the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    I never said anything about "bulking up" on WR's. My case is that we need a legit compliment to Bowe...Which would be "speed" in order to stretch the field.

Do we need other positions filled? Sure, we do.

Unfortunately, do not get to see all of the KC games anymore since I am now in Alabama but I try to read and watch as much info as possible and one thing for sure....I never heard any KC WR's, other than Bowe mentioned on Sports Center or anywhere else.

Also, like I said earlier..If they chose to stick with what we have, then someone will have to step up this year in a big way. JMHO
    I understand where you are coming from. I think the point the other guy was trying to make is that if you remember back a few years ago when the Chiefs had a top 5 offense, it was not because we had star WRs. We had Eddie Kennison and Samie Parker. What drove the offense was the O-line which dominated the entire game. With a good O-line, a team can control the clock with a solid running game and give the QB enough time to find open receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Not to be too hard on our defensive personnel, but it didn't help that we opened the season with stiffs at MLB (Thomas), DE (Boone/Turk), DT (Tank), and ROLB (Williams/Edwards) who shouldn't have been anywhere near a NFL starting job.

And supposed starters of the future in Hali, DJ, and Page clearly regressed. And that Dorsey, either because of bad coaching or lack of talent, was not the impact rookie the Chiefs claimed he'd be.

I think a significant portion of our problems can be placed on the defensive players themselves, not just the coaches. Our offense did its part in building leads those last nine weeks. Our defense failed spectacularly in holding the lead.
    Very true..All I am trying to do is show what an asset a speedy deep threat could be.

Take a look at the Steelers stats for the Reg Season:

The had one , 1,000 yd reciever and the TE had over 500. The other 2 (Washington and Holmes) had very nice years and averaged around 14-15 ypc. They provided the quick, fast deep threat.

Tony can't keep producing 1000 yard seasons and if we can have two 1,000 yard recievers, that tells me that there were some others that could not get open, even on the short routes. Opposing defenses used single coverage and filled the box? eh?

Okay...We need lineman? Yes. We need some defense? Yes. We need a QB? Quite possibly so. Do we need a speedy deep threat (holmes, washington,). Sure.
    Last edited by dbolan; 01-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast