Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gunther Bashes Chiefs

Default Gunther Bashes Chiefs

I don't care for the guy, but he does make some valid points. Not a fan of all the whining though.

Cunningham's Chiefs had lot in common with Lions | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

MOBILE, Ala. — New Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham comes from Kansas City, a team that was a lot like the Lions last season.

The Chiefs ran the Tampa Two defense, were coached by a Tony Dungy disciple and struggled badly, with one of the worst defenses in the NFL and a 2-14 record.

But Cunningham isn’t a Tampa Two guy, and the Chiefs’ defense lacked experience.

“I’ve gone through three years of playing zone defense because I was loyal to Herm Edwards,” Cunningham said today in a conference call. “That’s what he wanted. People here in town knew that I was different than that. My idea is to put a lot of pressure on the quarterback — always has been, always will be.”

Cunningham said new Lions coach Jim Schwartz knows that, though Schwartz ran more zone than usual this season as Tennessee’s defensive coordinator.

Cunningham was Schwartz’s linebackers coach for three years with the Titans, and they became close.

Asked if he were entering a situation in Detroit that is similar to Kansas City, Cunningham said teams need experience by keeping good veterans and finding others in free agency.

“The emotions get involved, ‘Oh, we’ll play with all these young players,’ ” Cunningham said. “But what you don’t understand is, they have to be led by guys like Jared Allen.”

The Chiefs traded Allen, one of the best defensive players in the league, to Minnesota before this season.

“If you have a lot of young players that you’re going to draft, you have to make sure you work the whole process,” Cunningham said. “I believe the mistake we made here is that they tried to add some UFA players like Demorrio Williams. Well, he doesn’t have enough experience and enough ability to lead a bunch of rookies. …

“I can at least share what happened here and the pitfalls we ran into and see what the process brings.”

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Im personally glad to see that he threw Herm under the bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Its funny how Gailey can completely rebuild an offense totally against EVERYTHING Herm believed and forced it down Herm's throat, but Cunningham watches Gailey do it, then pisses and moans about Herm "not letting" him do the same.

Gunther be gone.
    Gunther will do well in Detroit.

I think that what he said needed to be said. He showed his loyalty to the team, by being loyal to the man that the team put in charge of him.

I have no doubt that Gun tried to convince Herm to allow a change in defense every day of his time here.

I don't blame Gun for Herms sorry-assed defense.

You tow the team 'line' when you are here, but let the facts out when you leave.

The fact is that Herms defense died because of Jared Allen. If you aren't going to blitz regularly, then you have to have a Jared Allen, or you have no defense.

I have no doubt that in private Gunther let Edwards know what he thought of the defensive scheme the HC preferred. However Edwards was the boss and in the end it is his call. Personally I have no problem with his explaining why he left the Chiefs for the same job with Detroit. Cunningham's reputation is on the line here and he would have been foolish to not explain his position on the Chief's defensive problems last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I'll miss Gun, but it was time for him to move on. I hope he does will in Detroit.
    +1 I'm new here but have been a chiefs fan since '90. If detroit is smart, they will give Gun complete control on the defense. I love his smash mouth attitude and Detroit's defense will be a force if they let him have the keys to drive it...without questioning him.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Gunther will do well in Detroit.
    He can't do any worse.

so what was Gun supposed to do? Quit? He answered to Herm.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

It sounds like Herm was wanting it his way. I hope they go back to the 4-3 Defense, that cover 2 is horse $h!t

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345