Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Draft

Default Draft

What is everyones opinion on who and what we need in the draft? Me personally I think that with the #3 pick there are a number of things they should do. My first opinion is trade down. Get a lower 1st round pick. Saves us money we need for FA. Also in trading down we could get William Moore. A good quality Saftey, a comfortable pick with a 17-25 pick. I'm scared of paying players big money when we don't know whether they can even play. Another thing we could do with that pick is get Stafford if he is available. Stafford is one of the only 2 QB I like in this draft. The other being Missouri QB Chase Patton. I don't think Sanchez would be a good pick at all. Overall I think we only need a couple O-Line and one more WR for offense. Our biggest concern is Defense. Our offense can score with TP at the helm with the spread.

Needs:
    2 O-Line
    1 WR

1 DE
    1 DT
    1-2 LBp (Pref. 1 MLB, 1 ROLB)
    1 CB
    1-2 Saftey

This is all my opinion. Yours?

hah its cool. People just seemed shocked that i'm saying Patton instead of Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    I agree with you on USC, Balto. My guy out of there is Taylor Mays but I think it's a reach to take him unless we trade down and he falls somehow. While I agree Maualuga is a monster, I have heard questions regarding his durability, same with Sanchez.
    Mays is staying at USC through 2009.

My proposed draft:

LT
    RT
    C
    RB (assuming the fairly inevitable LJ cut)
    LG
    QB
    WR

And build the defense through FA.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Mays is staying at USC through 2009.

My proposed draft:

LT
    RT
    C
    RB (assuming the fairly inevitable LJ cut)
    LG
    QB
    WR

And build the defense through FA.
    I like the idea of going through the draft getting linemen. This is a good class to do that as well. But I am not sure there are enough good players in FA to fix our defense. The ones I see are Vilma (ILB) and either Suggs or Peppers at DE. So that would leave one OLB position needing to be filled.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I like the idea of going through the draft getting linemen. This is a good class to do that as well. But I am not sure there are enough good players in FA to fix our defense. The ones I see are Vilma (ILB) and either Suggs or Peppers at DE. So that would leave one OLB position needing to be filled.
    The big question is whether we go to a 3-4 or stick with a 4-3. My proposed draft was based on our sticking with the 4-3. As for our MLB/OLB problems, Karlos Dansby will be a FA, as will Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, Bart Scott, Mike Peterson, Michael Boley, and Eric Barton. We could get two starters out of that FA lot.

the LJ situation really messes some things up. If we could trade him, it gives us another pick. If he stays, I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    The big question is whether we go to a 3-4 or stick with a 4-3. My proposed draft was based on our sticking with the 4-3. As for our MLB/OLB problems, Karlos Dansby will be a FA, as will Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, Bart Scott, Mike Peterson, Michael Boley, and Eric Barton. We could get two starters out of that FA lot.
    From those mentioned, only Vilma and Dansby are worth getting because of their age. Boley may not be good enough. After Demarrio Williams, I do not want the Chiefs to add another Falcons LB. So if we were able to get both of those that would fix our LB problems, so we'll see how this turns out. And hopefully the Chiefs will stick with a 4-3 defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    the LJ situation really messes some things up. If we could trade him, it gives us another pick. If he stays, I just don't know.
    He's gone. LJ may not even warrant a team giving up a draft pick because of his high dollar contract. It may boil down to the Chiefs cutting him. Either way is fine by me. Any time a player shoots himself in the foot and then says he wants out of KC gets what he deserves.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    From those mentioned, only Vilma and Dansby are worth getting because of their age. Boley may not be good enough. After Demarrio Williams, I do not want the Chiefs to add another Falcons LB. So if we were able to get both of those that would fix our LB problems, so we'll see how this turns out. And hopefully the Chiefs will stick with a 4-3 defense.
    Some experience and toughness, like Scott, Barton, and Peterson, on our defense would be a good thing. As long as we didn't overpay them, having some vets on our defense can only help matters next year. Remember, Pioli's best work on the Pats was his ability to identify quality vets, especially on defense, and to sign them to cap-friendly deals. That, more than any draft, was the reason that the Pats won their SBs.

We can't forget, we have at least four positions to fill on offense (C, RG, RT, and probably RB) and at least four on defense (RDE, 2DT, MLB, and ROLB). And that's only if we decide not to upgrade at 2WR, QB, LDE, and FS. Or to build depth at any position. We're not finding eight starters at these positions in this year's draft, not even if we trade for extra picks. And there's no guarentee that we'll always be able to get the best, young player out there.

P.S. That's unfair to Boley, comparing him to DeMorrio Williams. Boley's shown toughness and was part of a very good Atlanta defense this year.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    He's gone. LJ may not even warrant a team giving up a draft pick because of his high dollar contract. It may boil down to the Chiefs cutting him. Either way is fine by me. Any time a player shoots himself in the foot and then says he wants out of KC gets what he deserves.
    Yeah, I'd be good either way. And as far as RB's go, weve been talking about Shonn Greene/a FA/even Rashad Jennings, but I just watched two highlight reels of Herb Donaldson, and I would really like to grab him. Plus, he should be there in the 5th-6th.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n26z6Zr98"]YouTube - Herb Donaldson - 2008 Walter Payton Award Candidate[/ame]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast