Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: kiper has us taking sanchez at # 3

Default kiper has us taking sanchez at # 3

mel kiper jr has his 2009 mock draft on espn .com he has us taking sanchez as our first pick in the draft.i am not so sure about sanchez he does not have to much experiance i guess we will see

the only areas NOT of immediate desperate need are QB, DB, WR
    not that we could not use improvement in these areas, but these are not the reasons we lost 14 games

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    I don't get the Crabtree hype... He's big and physical but he can't really stretch the field. I think he's talented but I don't think he's the next Larry Fitz. or A. Johnson, and I think Calvin Johnson is even better than him.. I think Crabtree is going to be a good but not great NFL receiver.
    So if chiefs fans think we're going to draft 2 first round receivers in 3 years... you are dreaming!!!

Here's my take on Sanchez...
    I think he has lots of upside and potential... He definitely has the size, arm strength and mobility to survive in the NFL, and with more developing and playing time I think he can be a very good NFL QB. That being said, I don't know if it's the best thing for the Chiefs to pick him at #3. The only thing I don't want the chiefs to do is put all their eggs in the Tyler Thigpen basket (like what they did w/ Brodie).

Also, I know that next years QB class is really hyped but I just don't buy the spread QB transitioning to the NFL (If you have questions look at how Gram Harrell is doing at the Senior Bowl).

I say our priorities should be:
    LB
    O-line
    QB (Depth and possibly a Franchise QB)
    D-line (free agents would make a bigger impact than rookies)
    WR/KR
    RB (This should move up if LJ is gone)
    DB (mostly for depth)
    K (Free agent)
    I agree with your first paragraph completely.

As for Thigpen, our keeping Gailey shows that we're sticking with Thigpen, at least through 2009. Which is smart. I have nothing against Josh Freeman, Nate Davis, Sanchez, or Stafford - but the 2010 QB class looks like a knockout. I'm in favor of drafting a rookie QB low in the draft, and seeing what Thigpen can do in 2009.

As much as I hate our LB corps right now, this FA period is thick with good veteran LBs who we could sign at a reasonable price. I wouldn't kick up a fuss if we drafted Curry, Maualuga, or even Orakpo with our first pick, but I think we can reconstitute our LB and DL positions through FA, whereas we can really only build our OL, RB, or WR through the draft. We have seven picks (I can't see us getting compensatory picks, as we had no real FA losses). I think we can use those seven picks to get starting C, LT (move Albert to LG and Waters to RG), RT, and RB (assuming LJ is cut), and backups at WR, QB, and LG.

I don't think we can count on the draft to do any more than that.

I agree with all of you who know we can't trade the 3rd pick. I'm always confused as to why we would never grab the best guy and look to trade him for a good 2nd/3rd yr player (OL/DE/LB). I'd love to grab Freeman, but I think he'll go in the 2nd or 3rd, too early for me to want him. I'd like to see us grab a guy like pat white if he's there in the 5th or 6th, then use him as backup qb/2nd-3rd wr. Then next year grab that "superstar" qb from the qb flock.

If the Chiefs draft a WR, i'm going to snap, and so will everyone...Pioli is smart and I dont believe he will draft a WR at the 3rd overall pick. Maybe if his name was Matt Millen than maybe I could see it happening. All I hope for is a O-line pick or a D-line pick with the 3rd overall selection.

Quote Originally Posted by leoness8 View Post
    If the Chiefs draft a WR, i'm going to snap, and so will everyone...Pioli is smart and I dont believe he will draft a WR at the 3rd overall pick. Maybe if his name was Matt Millen than maybe I could see it happening. All I hope for is a O-line pick or a D-line pick with the 3rd overall selection.
    Pioli will build our lines as his 1st priority. No sexy picks this year...
    SHUT IT

i dont see why you would want to move Waters anywhere...hes one of the best guards in the league...albert at no.17 overall is pretty high for a guard, so IF your going to move him at all, it should be to RT not guard...(you can usually get a solid guard in FA each year) and then draft another tackle at no.3 overall this year...which still leaves a hole or two in the offensive line...so i think theres a good chance we will go offensive tackle no.3....or they trade down for maualuga (hopefully)...if maualuga is a chief, i predict he goes to the hall of fame...

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    i dont see why you would want to move Waters anywhere...hes one of the best guards in the league...albert at no.17 overall is pretty high for a guard, so IF your going to move him at all, it should be to RT not guard...(you can usually get a solid guard in FA each year) and then draft another tackle at no.3 overall this year...which still leaves a hole or two in the offensive line...so i think theres a good chance we will go offensive tackle no.3....or they trade down for maualuga (hopefully)...if maualuga is a chief, i predict he goes to the hall of fame...
    We picked Albert 12th, not 17th. But it doesn't matter where we selected someone - what matters is where the can play best in the future, not where you picked them in the draft.

Albert doesn't look that great as a tackle. He'd be an exceptional guard. If we reached for him, that's in the past. What matters is 2009 and beyond.

ACTUALLY, Albert was taken #15.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    ACTUALLY, Albert was taken #15.
    Yes he was. Stupid numeric keypads.

They are going to pick a QB with the #3 pick because they are going to hireHaley as the HC and he has developed QBs for years.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast