Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't Hate Herm

Default Don't Hate Herm

Everyone continues to insist on downing Herm and calling him a horrible coach. He was doing what he could with what he had. Which, i'm not sure if you noticed, is close to nothing.

He and Peterson had an pretty darn good Draft last year. You guys want to win, but that isn't gonna happen for another year or so. Its called a "Rebuilding" stage for a reason. Its long and not very fun.

His first year as HC he had all of Dick Vermeil's left overs. He didn't even get to start his process until his second season.

He helped bring one of the best Draft classes in last year. Give him some credit. He is very passionate about the team, the game, his players. Give him some credit.

“The next guy will get a lot of credit,” Chiefs guard Brian Waters said Friday night, “but the truth is Herm Edwards built this football team.”

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    I don't know if everything was Herm's fault... I have yet to hear any furious uproar over the medical staffing of the Chief's. Maybe if the player's were injuring themselves with their motorcycles I would have no reason to question them. Complete the job Mr P, bring in an adequate medical staff.
    Or maybe we just signed a bunch of fragile players and didn't condition them properly on the practice field.

“The next guy will get a lot of credit,” Chiefs guard Brian Waters said Friday night, “but the truth is Herm Edwards built this football team.”
    Herm Edwards built nothing. Most of the players he brought in as FAs were disasters. And most of his draft picks will be out of the NFL in three years.

He was the worst thing to ever happen to the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Or maybe we just signed a bunch of fragile players and didn't condition them properly on the practice field.
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Look he's gone so this cannot be settled. You think his record stands for itself, and I give you props for that. I am not suggesting he should still be here only that not everything is black and white/ clear as crystal. So the haters can continue hating, I however will continue to wish that things might have worked a little more in Herm's favour.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Look he's gone so this cannot be settled. You think his record stands for itself, and I give you props for that. I am not suggesting he should still be here only that not everything is black and white/ clear as crystal. So the haters can continue hating, I however will continue to wish that things might have worked a little more in Herm's favour.
    It isn't that anyone hates Herm as a man. He's a decent guy. His players loved him. And he did want to be the KC coach for the forseeable future. I wish he was about to be coaching the 16-0 Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

What bugs me is how everyone is trying to find any reason than his own incompetence for Herm's failures. People are trying to use injuries to players he chose. They're ignoring all available evidence and absurdly claiming that Herm never got the guys he wanted. They claim he got our players playing hard, and never mention how badly he was outcoached almost every single game this season.

There isn't a losing coach in the NFL who didn't have bad breaks. I don't think the Lions go 0-16 if Kitna's healthy and they keep Roy Williams. The Bengals, Rams, Raiders, Seahawks, Browns, etc. all had injury problems at least as bad as ours. But no one is sitting around and claiming that it isn't those coaches fault.

Herm ws given the keys to the franchise in 2006. Evry move was made either by his design or with his OK. And what we have right now is the result of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    It isn't that anyone hates Herm as a man. He's a decent guy. His players loved him. And he did want to be the KC coach for the forseeable future. I wish he was about to be coaching the 16-0 Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

What bugs me is how everyone is trying to find any reason than his own incompetence for Herm's failures. People are trying to use injuries to players he chose. They're ignoring all available evidence and absurdly claiming that Herm never got the guys he wanted. They claim he got our players playing hard, and never mention how badly he was outcoached almost every single game this season.

There isn't a losing coach in the NFL who didn't have bad breaks. I don't think the Lions go 0-16 if Kitna's healthy and they keep Roy Williams. The Bengals, Rams, Raiders, Seahawks, Browns, etc. all had injury problems at least as bad as ours. But no one is sitting around and claiming that it isn't those coaches fault.

Herm ws given the keys to the franchise in 2006. Evry move was made either by his design or with his OK. And what we have right now is the result of that.
    You know, I agree with you on all of this and as the season went by this year I was as frustrated as anyone with Herm. I guess the point is... on a Don't Hate Herm thread, I'm trying to bring our ex-coach some love. Don't know what else to say... peace?!?

You know, I agree with you on all of this and as the season went by this year I was as frustrated as anyone with Herm. I guess the point is... on a Don't Hate Herm thread, I'm trying to bring our ex-coach some love. Don't know what else to say... peace?!?
    Fair enough.

Its kinda of hard not to hate herm. Yes, the team wasn't that great to begin with, but in the next few sentences or paragraphs I will explain why most people hated herm.

1. The Chiefs were once a high powered offense. Throughout herms term, the offense got worse and worse and worse, until they found young Tyler Thigpen. Herm brought in a new game plan. His game plan consisted of attemping to have a lower scoring game. Being conserviative just isn't a good idea for ANY sports team.

2. Poor game planning. Did he ever have gameplan??? His idea was "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME" Part of attemping to win a game is having a good game plan. A game plan could consist of planning to run the ball down their throats. Or it could be a time possesion thing. Either way, he had poor game planning.

3. Conditioning. Part of having a good team is having them be well condition. Now, ever since herm joined the team I noticed that players had a hard time playing a complete game at full speed. This might have been why they lost in the second half. I also have this suspsion that since they were less conditioned, they were more easily injured.

4. The post game interviews. Herm seem to have confidence when he was speaking, and I admire that seeing how I cant give a speech worth a crap. He liked to make excuses; how the they lost the game, but he never took responsablity for ANY of the loses, he always seems to blame the players and how they were still learning. Also he just said some outragous things while he was talking. Back in the 06 season when they got LUCKY cause Denver had to lose at home and about 2 or 3 other teams had to win/lose for the Chiefs to get a wildcard. Then there was one time where he said Kansas City has to get use to it, after being questioned about a lose. So KC has to get use to losing? Thats the way I took it.

To me, what was even more disturbing is that he said about a week ago that the team was 75% complete on the rebuilding project. So did that mean they could only get 25% more worse than last year?

Herm might be a good guy to work with, but he belongs no where near a headcoaching job.

Speaking of rebuilding....I believe Miami and Atlanta were "rebuilding" last year, with Miami 1-15 and Atlanta at 4-12 I believe. Either way look at them now. You can still be "rebuilding" and still be competitive.

[quote=honda522;114755]
    4. The post game interviews. quote]

Herms post game interview really killed me. For Example, after the Atlanta game he threw Thigpen under the bus, stating that he ran the ball to much. He was going to get hurt and increased the risk of turning the ball over. After the Denver win, herm was praising Tyler for being smart with the ball and running when nothing was open instead of throwing into coverage or getting nothing by throwing the ball away.

The guy was so contradictive of himself, that anyone paying attention to him would catch him either lying to just answer the question, or he really didn't have a clue.

Another examply was the talks of him pulling Trent in favor of Hurad in the play-off game is Trent Struggled. Well we know what happened. Herm was caught in another lie.

That is not a fair statement. There is only room for improvement. Why give credit to a person who made us hit the rock bottom. Herm built a 31st ranked defense. It can't get much worse, so of course it is going to get better, and we are supposed to give Herm credit for that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast