View Poll Results: Should the Chiefs start Thigpen at QB next year?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Draft Sanchez and throw him in the fire like Flacco or Ryan

3 3.53%
  • Pick up a veteran QB and start him

2 2.35%
  • Pick up a veteran QB and have an open competition with Thigpen

14 16.47%
  • Draft a QB and have an open competition with Thigpen

25 29.41%
  • Start Thiggy, he earned it!

41 48.24%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Tyler Thigpen be our starting quarterbACK NEXT YEAR?

Default Should Tyler Thigpen be our starting quarterback next year?

I have grown very fond of Tyler Thigpen. Maybe just "homer syndrome." What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 01-25-2009 at 12:17 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

I think you always have to have competition, If I could've picked two poll choices I would have. They need to either pick up a FA, or draft someone (not in the first round!) and have them compete for the starting QB job.

May the best man win.

Let Thiggy compete for it.

The QB position is going to be a difficult position to fill "correctly" this season. I think that no matter what they do, it can be looked at as "the wrong decision."

There can be arguments made for and against each solution to the problem.

Being that I don't think there is a QB worth taking at the #3 spot, I don't think Sanchez or Stafford should be the solution unless they can be had in the second round.

Trading for Matt Cassel would hinder this team in their rebuilding efforts. He won't be worth the bounty he'd require.

I don't see a free agent QB worth building a franchise around, although I could see Michael Vick being a bridge to next season or the following year. I doubt that happens though.

That leaves Thigpen. I've heard a bunch of people say he can't play in a "pro system" but i don't take them seriously. The only game people have seen him play in that type of system was during the 4th game of the season while he made his first career start against a good Falcons squad. One game isn't enough time to make the claim that one is certain Thigpen can't play in that system. That's ignorant. I think Tyler Thigpen should get a shot this next season if for no other reason than a lack of better options.

In 2010, the QB free agent class will include:
    Jason Campbell
    Kellen Clemens
    Jake Delhomme
    Eli Manning
    Philip Rivers
    Ben Rothlisberger

2011 will include:
    Derek Anderson
    Tom Brady
    Trent Edwards
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Kevin Kolb

These lists don't include QBs who will be cut due to large contracts.

If not Thigpen, then who? That seems to be the biggest problem. Thigpen represents the lesser evil.

...it's Thiggy's to lose in my opinion...

...he has been building chemistry with Tony and his wide outs...let him keep going on with it. Why take him out and RISK putting someone back there who has no chemistry with anyone?

It could be Thigpen's to lose but I really don't like that scenerio. Certainly not a good draft for QB's and there is really no one out there in FA. In my opinion Sanchez is the best draft choice, just because of the system he comes from, but he is not a first rounder.
    This whole thing will depend on who we get as a head coach. Don't really think Tyler is the man if we would be so lucky to talk Coach Cower into coming back to KC.
    I would hope we would not stoop so low as to bring in the Ex-Con. Him and Larry together would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I have grown very fond of Tyler Thigpen. Maybe just "homer syndrome." What do you guys think?
    I think our (good) decision to keep Gailey means that our offense will remain the same at the skill positions (except maybe LJ) next season. I think we'll upgrade our OL and switch RBs, but guys like Charles, Bowe, Bradley, Gonzo, and Thigpen should be pretty secure in their jobs.

We should keep Thigpen for 2009 simply because we don't have a better option. I don't want to put an old vet like Garcia back there. I don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB, as we have so many other positions to fill. And 2010 is rich for QBs, both in FA and the draft. Why not start Thigpen, and keep the OC and skill players (like Gonzo) happy? What (long-term) do you have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I think our (good) decision to keep Gailey means that our offense will remain the same at the skill positions (except maybe LJ) next season. I think we'll upgrade our OL and switch RBs, but guys like Charles, Bowe, Bradley, Gonzo, and Thigpen should be pretty secure in their jobs.

We should keep Thigpen for 2009 simply because we don't have a better option. I don't want to put an old vet like Garcia back there. I don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB, as we have so many other positions to fill. And 2010 is rich for QBs, both in FA and the draft. Why not start Thigpen, and keep the OC and skill players (like Gonzo) happy? What (long-term) do you have to lose?
    Very good points. I think he's earned the start for 2009. Of course, it will depend on the thoughts of the new HC, whoever that may be. Anyway, I'm jiggy with Thiggy!
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

How does anybody know what he can do.They didn't put the spread in because he couldn't take a snap from center. They put it in because we didn't have an offensive line that could block long enought for him to take a snap under center. Some guys with a lot of experience and a seasoned offense could get rid of the ball quick enough to make up for some of it. But not a rookie. Toss in the lack of a consistant running game thanks to LJ and it was a no win. And will remain a no win until we build a line, create a consistant offensive attack. Build the foundation and the rest will come. Until then, no QB is going to have success back there.

I think we need to bring in a proven QB and let them duke it out, we can't have what happen last year happen again.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast