View Poll Results: Should the Chiefs trade LJ?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 79.45%
  • No

15 20.55%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should the Chiefs trade LJ away?

Default Should the Chiefs trade LJ away?

We traded a Pro-bowler away, Jared Allen. We did get compensated draft picks. Jared wanted out, he hated the King and more. Now, Johnson wants out.

The difference is Johnson plays on his emotions. Larry said he does NOT want to play for the Chiefs. In fact, for my point of view he hasn't tried to make a big impact.

It all started when he held out of training camp for a raise. I don't think he ever really like Kansas City to begin with. In 2005, I saw alot of effort when he took the ball, and in 06' he struggled because the offensive line struggled. Then he broke his ankle or what ever. In 07' he lacked the ability's to make quick cut backs. In 08' it just got worse. I will give him credit to the line not blocking and Herm for not conditioning him or even the rest of the team for that matter.

We have Kobly Smith and Jamal Charles. I think they will do just fine, in the mean time patch up that oline with the 3rd round pick we recive from his trade. I think we can get a third rounder for him.

So what do you think?

Don't most contracts have a conduct policy in them? Is there any way if he was found guilty at his court date that he could be cut without costing the Chiefs any money?
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Ah, this has been discussed numerous times in this forum. You might want to considering reading some previous posts before starting new threads on your own.
    Having said that, nobody in their right mind is gonna trade for a 30 y/o rb with sh!t attitude and a huge contract.
    If we can trade LJ for - say - a can of dog food (Aldi's), I'd say make the trade.
    Otherwise we squeeze out the remainder of his 47 mil contract extension on the field, or eat his contract and release him.
    Yep. It amazes me how people think LJ's $8M salary is tradable. THIS ISN'T MADDEN!

LJ would be a decent FA pickup. NO ONE is trading for his massive salary.

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    Don't most contracts have a conduct policy in them? Is there any way if he was found guilty at his court date that he could be cut without costing the Chiefs any money?
    It isn't his salary that's the problem - it's his cap hit. We'd have the same cap hit if he retired today as if we cut him or traded him or if he were sent to Leavenworth.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    It isn't his salary that's the problem - it's his cap hit. We'd have the same cap hit if he retired today as if we cut him or traded him or if he were sent to Leavenworth.
    Even if he breached his contract?
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    When we had a good "O" line, and L J ran for big yds we didn't miss Priest. now there are no running lanes and we fondly remember Priest as a saint. we forget how Priest dissed us at the end, how we held a roster spot for him for two years when he wouldn't even join his team mates for a game. I remember how great he was on the field running behind the best line in the nfl, and how not so great after. i remember how L J tore it up behind that same great line and after the line crumbled he needed to break 3 tackles in the backfield. i'm not defending him, he needs a good smack upside the head, only trying to put it all in perspective.
    Dude, Priest wanted to play. He was injured. He tried to come back, he thought it would be sooner. He really wanted to play for the Chiefs rather than anyone else. He retired after re-injuring it cause of fear that he would get seriously hurt.

Can you blame him for wanting to play?? He loved football and loved the Chiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    It's pretty obvious LJ lacks the discipline to sit down and shut up. Multiple allegations of beating women, temper tantrums on the field and whining to the press. Let's face it, LJ had a couple good seasons and hasn't done squat since. He may end up with a longer suspension pending the outcome of his court case this spring. He's too much of a risk for the Chiefs or any other team. I think the most we get offered is maybe a fourth round pick, if that. I think the Chiefs cut him if they dont get an offer. The Chiefs are starting a new era with Spioli and the next head coach and the last thing either of them want is LJ's whiny @ss demanding trades or demanding more carries. He's worn out his welcome in KC.
    I have to agree. Until LJ's legal problems are cleared up, the Chiefs probably won't get very many legit offers, if any. I think we need LJ for one more year, because IMO Smith and Charles aren't every down backs. I like Charles's speed, but I look at him as a Reggie Bush type, rather than someone that can carry the rock 20-25 times a game. I think if we can get a RB say in the 4th-5th round, we would be alright. It done all the time in the NFL. No sense in using a higher pick for one. If by some chance we do get a good offer then take it, but I don't see it happening.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    Even if he breached his contract?
    Yes!

The Giants, for example, still have the cap hit from Plax's signing bonus, even if they cut him this offseason.

You always, always, always will have to pay the cap hit for the prorated portion of the signing bonus.

can they just give him to another team? I really don't see anyone trading away a player or pick for a moneypit. I say we just throw him on the curb and hang a sign on his neck saying "take me, please" or put him in a basket and leave him on Al Davis' doorstep like some sort of unwanted orphan.
    Last edited by Nel Toille; 01-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Yep. It amazes me how people think LJ's $8M salary is tradable. THIS ISN'T MADDEN!

LJ would be a decent FA pickup. NO ONE is trading for his massive salary.
    If this was Madden we could trade LJ for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. I know, I just tried.

But I think you are missing that if someone did trade for LJ, they would not have to pay him bonus. That basically makes him a hired hand until you do not want him anymore. Then you just cut him whenever you want and you don't have to pay him anymore. Teams can handle a 8 mil hit these days. I can see a team trading a fifth round, possibly a fourth round, for LJ to give them the power back they need. Teams get desparate especially those trying to make a superbowl run. Someone will take LJ at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    If this was Madden we could trade LJ for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. I know, I just tried.

But I think you are missing that if someone did trade for LJ, they would not have to pay him bonus. That basically makes him a hired hand until you do not want him anymore. Then you just cut him whenever you want and you don't have to pay him anymore. Teams can handle a 8 mil hit these days. I can see a team trading a fifth round, possibly a fourth round, for LJ to give them the power back they need. Teams get desparate especially those trying to make a superbowl run. Someone will take LJ at that price.
    Actually I was wrong - it would only be about $6M/year for LJ, as he prorated bonus doesn't count as salary for a new team.

If we can trade him for a 5th, great. I'll be thrilled. I'm just trying to picture a team trading for him, his salary, his age, and his problems, and none are coming to mind.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast