View Poll Results: Should the Chiefs trade LJ?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 79.45%
  • No

15 20.55%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should the Chiefs trade LJ away?

Default Should the Chiefs trade LJ away?

We traded a Pro-bowler away, Jared Allen. We did get compensated draft picks. Jared wanted out, he hated the King and more. Now, Johnson wants out.

The difference is Johnson plays on his emotions. Larry said he does NOT want to play for the Chiefs. In fact, for my point of view he hasn't tried to make a big impact.

It all started when he held out of training camp for a raise. I don't think he ever really like Kansas City to begin with. In 2005, I saw alot of effort when he took the ball, and in 06' he struggled because the offensive line struggled. Then he broke his ankle or what ever. In 07' he lacked the ability's to make quick cut backs. In 08' it just got worse. I will give him credit to the line not blocking and Herm for not conditioning him or even the rest of the team for that matter.

We have Kobly Smith and Jamal Charles. I think they will do just fine, in the mean time patch up that oline with the 3rd round pick we recive from his trade. I think we can get a third rounder for him.

So what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Most player contracts have different clauses in them and it would not suprise me because of his past and his current trial date if we cut him we could owe him next to nothing. If that was the case, I'd say send him packing and see how much he can get for himself....
    Good points...If this is the case...I say let him go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Most player contracts have different clauses in them and it would not suprise me because of his past and his current trial date if we cut him we could owe him next to nothing. If that was the case, I'd say send him packing and see how much he can get for himself....
    If we cut him, we don't owe him anything, no matter the reason.

The Chiefs aren't worried about paying his salary. They're worried about the $12M cap hit that will count against the 2009 cap.

Contracts don't have anything to do with cap hits.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    If we cut him, we don't owe him anything, no matter the reason.

The Chiefs aren't worried about paying his salary. They're worried about the $12M cap hit that will count against the 2009 cap.

Contracts don't have anything to do with cap hits.
    So whether he stays or not...The Chiefs take a $12mil hit..Right?

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    So whether he stays or not...The Chiefs take a $12mil hit..Right?
    No. That $12M is dead money against the cap. If we cut LJ, the remaining pro-rated portion of his signing bonus is applied to our salary cap of 2009. LJ has already been paid that money - he's not getting extra money for being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    No. That $12M is dead money against the cap. If we cut LJ, the remaining pro-rated portion of his signing bonus is applied to our salary cap of 2009. LJ has already been paid that money - he's not getting extra money for being cut.
    I thought it was around $9M cap hit. Either way, the Chiefs do it this year because they have the cap room to make that kind of move. They eat the loss and show that changes are being made.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I thought it was around $9M cap hit. Either way, the Chiefs do it this year because they have the cap room to make that kind of move. They eat the loss and show that changes are being made.
    It depends on whether we cut him before or after June 1. We signed LJ in 2007 to a five-year contract with a $19M signing bonus. He's played two years of that five year contract. The prorated portion of the remaing bonus is about $12M - which will need to count against our cap some time.

I agree. Unless we have a FA binge of mammoth proportions, the best idea for cap purposes is to take our lumps this season.

We know LJ has talent or at least had talent. If he still has talent and desire is yet to be seen. I agree with dbolan and give him the rock 25-30 times a game and he has another great season or he gets hurt and we don't lose much.

If we could get any kinda of value for LJ, I would say yes trade him. And if it was my decision, I would take anything from a third round pick and up. Third is probably the best we could get. I do think LJ has loads of talent and could of been a star at RB, but the chip on his shoulder and his off field troubles really brings his value on a team way, way down. I would like to say just sit him on the bench, but I really think the whole attitude of the team is better without LJ. He has been a distraction and when he was not on the field for the games last season, the offense played better.

The Chiefs organization also must gauge the effect of either keeping, releasing or trading Larry Johnson is going to have on our efforts this off-season once the free-agency period begins.

Just curious, but why not bench him or run him into the ground this season and release him in 2010 when there is no cap and then who cares about the cap hit!?!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast