Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Trading Thigpen!!!!

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Trading Thigpen!!!!


    0 Not allowed!
    I read on another forum about an idea to trade away Thigpen and get like the Lions 20th pick!!!!

    I was just wondering what you guys think his value is and what we could get out of him? If people are saying it would take our 3rd overall to get Cassel I would think Thigpen could get us a mid 1st rounder as well don't ya think?

  2. #11
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nel Toille View Post
    that's what you think
    Trade Idea - Page 2 - Kansas City Chiefs Forums
    Seems to me that YOU'RE alone in wanting to take him.
    Why would you want Cassel for millions of dollars when we have a QB that many believe is just as good for less than six-figures? Just because Cassel's numbers are a little better doesn't mean he's a better QB.
    Thigpen played in a few more pointless games than Cassel, bringing his numbers down a bit. For example, the game against Atlanta when he was still a third stringer with no motivation knowing he wasn't going to be the starter and the last game at Cincy where the entire team gave up before he had a chance to throw one pass. You also have to take into consideration that Cassel played on a much better team than Thigpen did. I'm not quite sold on people saying Thigpen isn't very accurate because I think you should attribute a good number of his missfires and interceptions on the recievers. Outside of Bowe and Gonzo, we have some of the worst recievers in the league. I guarantee you that Wes Welker alone made Matt Cassel look a hell of a lot more accurate than Thigpen.
    Look, we're all a bit of homers here. And I know that we all want Thigpen to succeed in 2009. But outside massive Chiefs fans, you won't find anyone debating Thigpen v. Cassel. Cassel had a much better supporting cast and coaching - very true. But his numbers were positively Brady-esque, and he's young enough that we'd be crazy not to try for him if he's a FA.

    We know Cassel can be a winning QB with a good supporting cast. We don't know that about Thigpen. Add to this that Thigpen seemed to fall apart in the 2nd halves of games, he's never played well in a pro-style offense, and there are severe questions about his accuracy, it's a no-brainer.

    I like Thigpen. He did everything last season that he possibly could given our terrible OL and position players (except Bowe, Tony G., and Bradley). And I'd rather start him in 2009 than trade picks for Cassel or draft a rookie. But in no way, shape, or form has Thigpen shown that he's a guy who will win 11 games a year.

  3. #12
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,221
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 23

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    No way is someone going to give a 1st round pick for TT. Don't get me wrong I like him but he has not done enouth to warrant a 1st. He was a 3rd round pick and won how many games as a starter? If he is worth a 1st we should keep him who else do we have, it's not like we have Tom Brady in waiting so right now TT is the best we have but still not worth a 1st.

  4. #13
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    No way is someone going to give a 1st round pick for TT. Don't get me wrong I like him but he has not done enouth to warrant a 1st. He was a 3rd round pick and won how many games as a starter? If he is worth a 1st we should keep him who else do we have, it's not like we have Tom Brady in waiting so right now TT is the best we have but still not worth a 1st.
    Tyler Thigpen wasn't a 3rd round pick (you're thinking of Brodie Croyle). Thigpen was selected in the 7th round by the Vikings, was cut, and then we picked him up on waivers.

  5. #14
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lewisville, TX (Dallas)
    Posts
    1,221
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 23

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    You can't really believe that, can you?

    At best, we might get a 5th rounder from a team like Tennessee or Carolina, who would want a young QB as a backup to an aging starter. No one is trading for Thigpen to run their team.
    I agree with you 100%. Whereas someone will trade for or pick up Cassel to run their team for good or bad.

  6. #15
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    489
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Look, we're all a bit of homers here. And I know that we all want Thigpen to succeed in 2009. But outside massive Chiefs fans, you won't find anyone debating Thigpen v. Cassel. Cassel had a much better supporting cast and coaching - very true. But his numbers were positively Brady-esque, and he's young enough that we'd be crazy not to try for him if he's a FA.

    We know Cassel can be a winning QB with a good supporting cast. We don't know that about Thigpen. Add to this that Thigpen seemed to fall apart in the 2nd halves of games, he's never played well in a pro-style offense, and there are severe questions about his accuracy, it's a no-brainer.

    I like Thigpen. He did everything last season that he possibly could given our terrible OL and position players (except Bowe, Tony G., and Bradley). And I'd rather start him in 2009 than trade picks for Cassel or draft a rookie. But in no way, shape, or form has Thigpen shown that he's a guy who will win 11 games a year.
    I think you are overhyping Cassel though. Even if Cassel was a free agent, I don't think the Chiefs make a move at him. The only thing that makes Cassel look good is he is a good size for a NFL QB (6'4" 230 lbs) and have good speed to move around in the pocket. Cassel made just about as many bad throws as Thigpen. The pass Cassel threw to Randy Moss in the Jets game to take the game into overtime was terrible. He is lucky that Moss has magic fingers to pull in a pass like that. Ok, that is a much to say that Cassel did as bad as Thigpen, but Cassel had a better head coach, OC, and QB coach to learn from. Give that to Thigpen and Thigpen would look good behind that Patriots team anyday. We saw the transformation that Cassel went through in the season. He did not start that great. I would have to think that once Cassel leaves the Patriots, he will not do as well. We'll see him regress into the player he was at the beginning of the season.

  7. #16
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    261
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Originally Posted by jmlamerson
    Look, we're all a bit of homers here. And I know that we all want Thigpen to succeed in 2009. But outside massive Chiefs fans, you won't find anyone debating Thigpen v. Cassel. Cassel had a much better supporting cast and coaching - very true. But his numbers were positively Brady-esque, and he's young enough that we'd be crazy not to try for him if he's a FA.

    We know Cassel can be a winning QB with a good supporting cast. We don't know that about Thigpen. Add to this that Thigpen seemed to fall apart in the 2nd halves of games, he's never played well in a pro-style offense, and there are severe questions about his accuracy, it's a no-brainer.

    I like Thigpen. He did everything last season that he possibly could given our terrible OL and position players (except Bowe, Tony G., and Bradley). And I'd rather start him in 2009 than trade picks for Cassel or draft a rookie. But in no way, shape, or form has Thigpen shown that he's a guy who will win 11 games a year.
    Cassel only looked "OK" with a good supporting cast!!! He is not a winner

    Tom Brady took the pats to a Undefeated Season!!!!

    Cassel could not even get the Pats to the Playoffs!!!!!!!


    Cassel SUCKS!!!!! Thigpen SUCK!!!!!

    BUT

    Thigpen > Cassel

  8. #17
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Posts
    979
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Maybe, but you're pretty alone in that. Cassel looks to have the better arm and better accuracy. It isn't worth what it would take to trade for him, not when we have so many holes to fill using the draft, but if Cassel were a FA, we'd be nuts not to try to sign him.

    We would be nuts to try and sign him. I'm tired of hearing his name come out of Chiefs fans mouths. He is not the answer for our team.

  9. #18
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    For one, if you trade for Cassell then that means he has signed their franchise tag and that would be two first round picks that you have to give up to sign him. I don't think Pioli would do that. So my answer to the qb situation would be to retain Thigpen and go after another qb in free agency(one like Byron Leftwich) and maybe one later in the draft if that scenario pans out. If they don't franchise Cassell, then try to bring him in and still keep Thigpen and have a open competition for them.

  10. #19
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,148
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1020 View Post
    For one, if you trade for Cassell then that means he has signed their franchise tag and that would be two first round picks that you have to give up to sign him. I don't think Pioli would do that. So my answer to the qb situation would be to retain Thigpen and go after another qb in free agency(one like Byron Leftwich) and maybe one later in the draft if that scenario pans out. If they don't franchise Cassell, then try to bring him in and still keep Thigpen and have a open competition for them.
    The Vikings managed to trade for Jared Allen without him having signed his franchise offer.

  11. #20
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    Cassel only looked "OK" with a good supporting cast!!! He is not a winner

    Tom Brady took the pats to a Undefeated Season!!!!

    Cassel could not even get the Pats to the Playoffs!!!!!!!


    Cassel SUCKS!!!!! Thigpen SUCK!!!!!

    BUT

    Thigpen > Cassel
    Tom Brady in his first season with the Pats was 24 years old, had a 63.9% completion rate, threw for 2849 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs. His passer rating was 86.5. The Pats went 11-5.

    Matt Cassel in his first season with the Pats was 26 years old, had a 63.4% completion rate, threw for 3693 yards, 21 TDs and 11 INTs. His passer rating was 89.4. The Pats went 11-5.

    Tyler Thigpen in his first season with the Chiefs was 24 years old, had a 54.8% completion rate, threw for 2608 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs. His passer rating was 76.0. The Chiefs went 2-14. Thigpen went 1-10.

    Thigpen showed a lot of heart and some skill this season. But anyone who says Thigpen's better than Cassel needs to watch more football.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •