Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Is Curry worth No.3 overall?

Default Is Curry worth No.3 overall?

Plain and simple....is he or isnt he worth the no.3 overall pick in the upcming 2009 nfl draft...

i would rather have Maualuga at 12-15

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    "They" said the same thing about Ryan Sims.
    Thats a very good point, but unfortunately busts happen. I think we really dont have much of a choice, we need an early round LB if we plan on running the 3-4. LBs are whats makes it all happen, if we dont have enough of them we really should stay in a 4-3.

DJ will start. Demorrio Willams is impressive somtimes, but a starter? not on most teams. Vrabel and Beisel might be splitting time, both are old and surly wont play every down. An Aaron Curry would be a nice add-on to our lb core. IF he dosent pull a Ryan Sims that is

IMO, Curry would have to be the second coming of Ray Lewis to warrant the #3 pick.

And since he is an OLB, I find that doubtful.

If we had a severe lack at that position, I probably still wouldn't back using the #3 pick for it.

Unless there was absolutely nothing else that could be useful at that draft spot, then I just can't say that an OLB is a good choice that high in the draft.

I know that alot of people like to say go for the BPA. But even they will admit that no Punter should be drafted at #3, no matter how great he is at his position.

You draft based on what your team needs.

And, while we do have some need for a MLB, and not that we have the absolute best pair of OLB in the league, we just don't have a major need for an OLB, unless we commit to a 3-4. And then it still a pretty moderate need.

The biggest single positional need on this team has to be at RDE. But few seem to believe that there is a player available that is talented enough to be picked that high.

The next biggest need position would be either ROT or DT.

DT is the same as the DE position. Noone is being ranked as high as we draft.

Then, with ROT, noone really likes to take a ROT that high, just as I don't like to take an OLB that high. And I can't really argue that.

But, if we draft for the LOT position, then we upgrade that position, and potentially upgrade the ROT as well.

And, if the LOT pick isn't what he was supposed to be, then there is still a good chance that he is a major upgrade at ROT, strictly as an insurance policy.

That is a very rare commodity for the risk of a #3 overall pick.

If a QB doesn't work out as planned, he is a backup that you hope never sees the field.

If a WR doesn't work out, then he too is bench material.

RB letdown is another worthless player.

OLB doesn't get much better, if at all, by changing to the other OLB spot.

MLB is screwed. CBs can be converted to play a Safety spot sometimes.

But the ability to have two shots at getting a top-notch player, with a single pick is something that can't be ignored.

If the player can't even cut it at ROT, then he still may have the ability to be a top-notch OG.

That makes three opportunities to get a great player, with a single pick.

So, if you ever wonder why I sound so biased toward drafting O-line, there ya go. Aside from my views of how important the O-line is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Man it sure would be nice to see a thread about draft successes!! I guess that sort of stuff does not make good reading!?!?
    Well, it sure would be nice to have alot of success to talk about.

If the Chiefs stay at the #3 slot, then Curry is without question the right pick. He is better than any linebackers on the current roster (DJ is a legit argument), but if you watch film of the guy, he is insane. He has 4.56 speed at 6-2, 255 pounds. He has great instincts, he's good in coverage, he has the ability to rush the passer but he wasn't asked to do that. He is a GREAT tackler, especially in space and in 1 on 1 situations. Could we move back and get another linebacker? Sure, but there is no linebacker that has the total package of Aaron Curry. Why draft a left tackle when we have Albert? No other player is worthy of the number 3 overall pick. Curry will be a great player in the NFL from day one. Defensive tackle and offensive tackle can be addressed with the 3rd and 4th round picks. I can still see extra picks being received if Dorsey, Hali, or any of the current defensive lineman are traded on draft day.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesald View Post
    If the Chiefs stay at the #3 slot, then Curry is without question the right pick. He is better than any linebackers on the current roster (DJ is a legit argument), but if you watch film of the guy, he is insane. He has 4.56 speed at 6-2, 255 pounds. He has great instincts, he's good in coverage, he has the ability to rush the passer but he wasn't asked to do that. He is a GREAT tackler, especially in space and in 1 on 1 situations. Could we move back and get another linebacker? Sure, but there is no linebacker that has the total package of Aaron Curry. Why draft a left tackle when we have Albert? No other player is worthy of the number 3 overall pick. Curry will be a great player in the NFL from day one. Defensive tackle and offensive tackle can be addressed with the 3rd and 4th round picks. I can still see extra picks being received if Dorsey, Hali, or any of the current defensive lineman are traded on draft day.
    If you watch film of this guy, he was a good LB who didn't turn into the second coming of Jesus until the combine. "Without question" is BS, Raji, Monroe, Orakpo (please no) and Crabtree are all possibilities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Thats a very good point, but unfortunately busts happen. I think we really dont have much of a choice, we need an early round LB if we plan on running the 3-4. LBs are whats makes it all happen, if we dont have enough of them we really should stay in a 4-3.

DJ will start. Demorrio Willams is impressive somtimes, but a starter? not on most teams. Vrabel and Beisel might be splitting time, both are old and surly wont play every down. An Aaron Curry would be a nice add-on to our lb core. IF he dosent pull a Ryan Sims that is
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    IMO, Curry would have to be the second coming of Ray Lewis to warrant the #3 pick.

And since he is an OLB, I find that doubtful.

If we had a severe lack at that position, I probably still wouldn't back using the #3 pick for it.

Unless there was absolutely nothing else that could be useful at that draft spot, then I just can't say that an OLB is a good choice that high in the draft.

I know that alot of people like to say go for the BPA. But even they will admit that no Punter should be drafted at #3, no matter how great he is at his position.

You draft based on what your team needs.

And, while we do have some need for a MLB, and not that we have the absolute best pair of OLB in the league, we just don't have a major need for an OLB, unless we commit to a 3-4. And then it still a pretty moderate need.

The biggest single positional need on this team has to be at RDE. But few seem to believe that there is a player available that is talented enough to be picked that high.

The next biggest need position would be either ROT or DT.

DT is the same as the DE position. Noone is being ranked as high as we draft.

Then, with ROT, noone really likes to take a ROT that high, just as I don't like to take an OLB that high. And I can't really argue that.

But, if we draft for the LOT position, then we upgrade that position, and potentially upgrade the ROT as well.

And, if the LOT pick isn't what he was supposed to be, then there is still a good chance that he is a major upgrade at ROT, strictly as an insurance policy.

That is a very rare commodity for the risk of a #3 overall pick.

If a QB doesn't work out as planned, he is a backup that you hope never sees the field.

If a WR doesn't work out, then he too is bench material.

RB letdown is another worthless player.

OLB doesn't get much better, if at all, by changing to the other OLB spot.

MLB is screwed. CBs can be converted to play a Safety spot sometimes.

But the ability to have two shots at getting a top-notch player, with a single pick is something that can't be ignored.

If the player can't even cut it at ROT, then he still may have the ability to be a top-notch OG.

That makes three opportunities to get a great player, with a single pick.

So, if you ever wonder why I sound so biased toward drafting O-line, there ya go. Aside from my views of how important the O-line is anyway.

Well, it sure would be nice to have alot of success to talk about.
    Some very good points. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    If you watch film of this guy, he was a good LB who didn't turn into the second coming of Jesus until the combine. "Without question" is BS, Raji, Monroe, Orakpo (please no) and Crabtree are all possibilities as well.
    If you'll do more research, you will find out that Curry became one of the best football players and the best LB in the draft thru hard work and being determined to be the best player he could be. Everyone with a little football knowledge knew about him before the draft. The workouts at the combine and his pro day just confirmed he is the best LB in this years draft.
    That same heart and determination IMO will drive him to become one of the best LB in the NFL.
    If the Chiefs draft him great, if they draft Smith or Monroe great, if they draft Rahji super, and if we trade down and get more picks, fantastic, but please don't make statements you can't support with facts.

Aaron Curry is worth the 1st round pick IMO. He is a great player in all aspects. He is fast for a start. Not to mention that he can weave his way through the O-Line and can often easily sack the QB. I have watched a lot of game footage and the one thing it has proved to me is that he as an individual would be a great player to have on one's team, especially as a rookie. You never know he could be like TG; through the early years builds skill talent and respect by the team, his coach and of course the fans! (That is also the reason I don't want TG to be traded, he has built up his career on the Chiefs!)

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    If you'll do more research, you will find out that Curry became one of the best football players and the best LB in the draft thru hard work and being determined to be the best player he could be. Everyone with a little football knowledge knew about him before the draft. The workouts at the combine and his pro day just confirmed he is the best LB in this years draft.
    That same heart and determination IMO will drive him to become one of the best LB in the NFL.
    If the Chiefs draft him great, if they draft Smith or Monroe great, if they draft Rahji super, and if we trade down and get more picks, fantastic, but please don't make statements you can't support with facts.
    I'm not exaggerating the least bit on this one. You said exactly what I said and accused me of not being able to support claims. And wheres your source that guarantees that he is going to be a superstar in the league? This is a speculation forum, and all speculation is able to be questioned while little is proved.

I wouldn't be mad if we took Curry, I think he can be a centerpiece for the defense for years to come, but LB is always a deep position and you can find long term solutions deeper into the draft, but do a little of your own research and you'll find that people say he has weak directional ability, which sounds like a pretty glaring weakness to me considering he would be forced to drop back into coverage qutie a bit. People say he's overly aggressive too, and watching his highlights, he is usually coming straight at a ball carrier who is fresh out of the backfield, times when its good to be aggressive rather than hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Aaron Curry is worth the 1st round pick IMO. He is a great player in all aspects. He is fast for a start. Not to mention that he can weave his way through the O-Line and can often easily sack the QB. I have watched a lot of game footage and the one thing it has proved to me is that he as an individual would be a great player to have on one's team, especially as a rookie. You never know he could be like TG; through the early years builds skill talent and respect by the team, his coach and of course the fans! (That is also the reason I don't want TG to be traded, he has built up his career on the Chiefs!)
    The whole reason he is considered a top tier pick is because he's projected to be a good player, and he's not a sack artist. He had maybe 5-6 career sacks at Wake.The whole TG thing is dumb as well, every player in the NFL who is successful gets better over the years, they don't come into the league at their prime, and almost every successful player has a mentality that allows him to be respected by his team, league and fans. If people didn't think Curry would bring that to the table, he wouldn't be a top 5 candidate.

Still, LB is one of the deepest positions in the draft most years and Curry by no means is going to fix our backfield pressure problem better than a good DE/DT or a rush LB would, so there is always room to question until we actually find out.

Top 10 - yes!

Top 5 - yes!

Top 3 - no!

Non-rush LB's for a team searching for a pass rush OLB/DE/NT/OL do not need to be flirting with something we don't need.

I used to be on the Curry bandwagon a while back but I was always a Monroe homer at heart. I'll say it till the cows come home: you build a championship franchise through the trenches!

Tom Brady completes passes to Randy Moss because Matt Light is covering his blind side making plays.

Rey Lewis makes tackles because Haloti Ngata is demanding the double team giving Rey the open shot.

Troy Polamalu is hitting lights out on the run because Brett Keisel is on inside forcing the playing outside

All the players are great in their own right but lineman make the game go round. Lineman play football/everyone else just makes plays.

I'm sure Curry will be a great linebacker, hell he may even be rookie defensive MVP but for a team transitioning to a 34 with multiple needs outside of a 'verstaile' player that will play the coverage ILB position if drafted there are more pressing needs and concerns that should be addressed first and foremost.

We've invested $15 million dollars and a 2nd round draft pick in our potential QBOTF; I think it'd be wise if the Chiefs did everything in their power to protect that asset (I'm hinting at Monroe F.Y.I)
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 04-16-2009 at 02:32 AM.

I would not be upset with Monroe one bit.

But curry will rush the passer just fine. Watch tape on him. He was never asked to blitz the QB and when he was he got there and either disrupted the play, ran thru a RB knocking the QB down. Or got to the QB for the sack.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast