Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Coordinator

Default Defensive Coordinator

Personally, I think its pretty close to a given that Haley will be our new HC. Who would everyone like to see as our defensive coordinator. I was thinking about how someone (can't remember who) said they saw Dennis Green in town. I think that would be a good choice.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by KC2thend View Post
    I want to know why everyone is so down on Jarrad Page? He has probably been our most consistent DB. Granted he does give up some big plays, but I think that is more about experience than skill. The guy is a hitter and has the ability to cover the deep middle. I think we need to get away from the cover 2 and play more man to man. Of course that means bringing in a pass rusher because man to man will only work if you can generate a pass rush (which we obviously couldn't last year). Our secondary could be good for years to come if we can get a front 7 to go along with it.
    I'll handle this one. Page was miserable this year in coverage, and was consistently beat deep. He was also terrible as a tackler, and missed several tackles every single game.

Of course we need to ditch the Cover 2 and go man-to-man. But Page is a liability in both schemes. He wouldn't be hired as a backup on most teams. He's only been starting on the Chiefs because Herm wanted to prove he was a genius by starting late round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    Nothing to do with Romeo... they're Cleveland.
    I agree. Plus, it is not the same for a DC as a head coach. When he's focused on the defense, I think he does a good job. I wouldn't mind him as a DC. Plus, he's better than what we've had.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    The only reason I think Page had a bad year is because he had poor tackling all year. Any time when a safety is making the tackle, they have to make it because they do not know who is behind them, usually no one. He did pretty well in coverage and got beat a few times, but we could blame that on the pass rush, since you can't cover someone for an entire minute. However, I think that once we go away from the cover 2, the safeties will be looked at in a different perspective.
    Bro, I don't mean to hate on your comment but I just wanted to let you know this. He's a safety. Think about this, safety is the last line of defense on 99% of plays. There isn't supposed to be anyone behind Page except for mabye Pollard, the other safety. I'm not trying to hate on you but there was alot of missed tackles before they runner makes it to Page. We gotta get a DE and start thinking about someone in case somehow we don't get Julius Peppers.

I feel a lot of love in this room.

Quote Originally Posted by NWA Chief View Post
    Bro, I don't mean to hate on your comment but I just wanted to let you know this. He's a safety. Think about this, safety is the last line of defense on 99% of plays. There isn't supposed to be anyone behind Page except for mabye Pollard, the other safety. I'm not trying to hate on you but there was alot of missed tackles before they runner makes it to Page. We gotta get a DE and start thinking about someone in case somehow we don't get Julius Peppers.
    What does that have to do with Page? A guy asked why everyone thought Page had a bad year and I gave him my explanation. Maybe you should go back and read the prior parts of this thread.

By the way, I know what a safety is. If you read my comment you would have seen that I said that there is usually no one behind Page if he misses the tackle. However, there is an exception because the safety position has evolved over the years to where a safety is now making tackles in the backfield (see safeties like Troy Polamalu or Brian Dawkins). That being said, his tackling should be BEST on the team if he is the last line of the defense. So what point are you trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by KC2thend View Post
    I want to know why everyone is so down on Jarrad Page? He has probably been our most consistent DB. Granted he does give up some big plays, but I think that is more about experience than skill. The guy is a hitter and has the ability to cover the deep middle. I think we need to get away from the cover 2 and play more man to man. Of course that means bringing in a pass rusher because man to man will only work if you can generate a pass rush (which we obviously couldn't last year). Our secondary could be good for years to come if we can get a front 7 to go along with it.
    You answered your own question.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    You guys and your Haley. Stop the devil talk please or we are all doomed for another 3-4 years while the chiefs find out he sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Sources?
    Yeah. Why you think that?
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    What does that have to do with Page? A guy asked why everyone thought Page had a bad year and I gave him my explanation. Maybe you should go back and read the prior parts of this thread.

By the way, I know what a safety is. If you read my comment you would have seen that I said that there is usually no one behind Page if he misses the tackle. However, there is an exception because the safety position has evolved over the years to where a safety is now making tackles in the backfield (see safeties like Troy Polamalu or Brian Dawkins). That being said, his tackling should be BEST on the team if he is the last line of the defense. So what point are you trying to make?
    We need to worry more about the problems in the front seven rather than Page. If we can get a LB and DE, that will take a lot of tackling opportunities away from Page. Which is good because you don't always want youre safety making the most tackles. Palamoulu and Dawkins aren't in the same comparison to Page because they run completely different schemes to let them get more tackles. Palamoulu is their best player and they put him in a position to makes the most plays. We have Page as a guy that is not up on the ball nearly as much as either of those safeties. Dawkins and Palamoulu are for sure HOF players, you can't use them in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by NWA Chief View Post
    We need to worry more about the problems in the front seven rather than Page. If we can get a LB and DE, that will take a lot of tackling opportunities away from Page. Which is good because you don't always want youre safety making the most tackles. Palamoulu and Dawkins aren't in the same comparison to Page because they run completely different schemes to let them get more tackles. Palamoulu is their best player and they put him in a position to makes the most plays. We have Page as a guy that is not up on the ball nearly as much as either of those safeties. Dawkins and Palamoulu are for sure HOF players, you can't use them in comparison.
    Of course Page is not a top priority. We should be looking at free agents like Vilma and Peppers at the top of our list. Players like Asomugha and Gross would be nice, but they will probably be staying with their teams. However, like you pointed out, he is not elite. Therefore, the Chiefs will think about whether or not they keep him. I think they will since they can sign him cheap. So why do you keep talking about Page? This is a thread about the Chiefs' next defensive coordinator. If you want to respond to KC2thend about your love for Page, then respond to him.

This comment probably belongs here as well:

If we do bring on Haley, Bill Davis (Cardinal LB coach) sounds like a good DC candidate who would be in favor of a 4-3 under defense mixed in with some 3-4. That type of defense might be the best way to transition the team built for the 4-3 to move to the 3-4.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast