Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Defensive Coordinator

Default Defensive Coordinator

Personally, I think its pretty close to a given that Haley will be our new HC. Who would everyone like to see as our defensive coordinator. I was thinking about how someone (can't remember who) said they saw Dennis Green in town. I think that would be a good choice.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com

ESPN's John Clayton calls Dallas a possible destination for fired Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.
    Kansas City to coordinate Todd Haley's defense would likely be Pendergast's preferred landing spot. He's rumored to be on Haley and Scott Pioli's short list. Other Chiefs candidates may include Paul Pasqualoni and Todd Bowles.

Didn't the Cards have kind of a bad Defense last year?

I haven't really been following this thread, but as already been mentioned I think Steelers LB coach Keith Butler is going to be an amazing DC. He's done wonders with James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Butler is interviewing with the Cardinals today. Wisenhunt lets him get out of Arizona without a contract. They have a history together. But, that might open the door for the Chiefs to grab Bill Davis from the Arizona coaching staff. I've read that Davis is the clubhouse favorite for the DC position in Arizona.

All this discussion about implementing the 3-4 or sticking with a version of the 4-3. All I have to say is that every defensive system works if you have the right personnel. There is no "magic" defensive system that wins Super Bowls. The teams that win Super Bowls are teams that have the best players that best fit the schemes they run.

People are down on the Tampa 2 defense because it hasn't worked in KC. But when you don't have the talent to execute the scheme, of course it isn't going to work. It worked in Tampa because they had a defense loaded with future HOF players like Warren Sapp, Simien Rice, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch and Rhonde Barber.

Instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes, I think whomever the Chiefs tab as the next defensive coordinator needs to build the defensive scheme around the abilities of the young players on the roster.

The 3-4 is en vogue because the Steelers and Pats have won a combined five Super Bowls with that scheme this decade. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to run the 3-4 defense to win a Super Bowl. The Bucs, Colts, and Giants have all won Super Bowls this decade with 4-3 defenses because they've had the personnel to execute them well. The Bears, Eagles, Vikings and Jags have also had a lot of success with the system as well because they have the right personnel to run it well.
    Last edited by Oregon_Chief; 02-11-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456