Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Coordinator

Default Defensive Coordinator

Personally, I think its pretty close to a given that Haley will be our new HC. Who would everyone like to see as our defensive coordinator. I was thinking about how someone (can't remember who) said they saw Dennis Green in town. I think that would be a good choice.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    That isn't that bad. Looking into next season, I think the positions on defense that will be taken care of will be RDE, MLB, and ROLB. We can get by with guys like Page and Tyler. We may not by a top 15 defense, but just fixing those three positions will change the way our defense looks. I'm not about rankings as long as we win some games.

And who remembers how our defense ranked in 2007 with Jared Allen?
    True. Although I'll always believe that the most unheralded mistake we made this season was cutting Napo. He was an above average MLB who led the Chiefs in tackles in 2007. When we cut him, the middle of the field became a vacuum for us.

Think about it - over the past two offseasons we ditched Sammy Knight, Jared Allen, Napo, Jimmy Wilkerson, Kawika Mitchell, and Keyaron Fox in the offseason. These would have been our 2008 ROLB, MLB, and DE, with a couple valuable reserves. What are our biggest needs again this offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    True. Although I'll always believe that the most unheralded mistake we made this season was cutting Napo. He was an above average MLB who led the Chiefs in tackles in 2007. When we cut him, the middle of the field became a vacuum for us.

Think about it - over the past two offseasons we ditched Sammy Knight, Jared Allen, Napo, Jimmy Wilkerson, Kawika Mitchell, and Keyaron Fox in the offseason. These would have been our 2008 ROLB, MLB, and DE, with a couple valuable reserves. What are our biggest needs again this offseason?
    CB. Wait, NO. Stop it Herm.

I was surprised about Harris as well. The guy was not bad. He filled the role better than anyone we had. He went to the Vikings and started at MLB because of injuries. Vikings were #1 against the run this year (not because of him, but he filled the role they needed at MLB, which he could have been doing for us). But Carl is gone and Herm is gone. This year we should see some competent choices coming from the front office.

any coach worth a crap will develop a system around the available talent. if the young talent in the organization doesn't allow for a certain defense, that defense won't be utilitzed. just because they bring in a coach who ran a certain defense at one point in his career doesn't mean he doesn't know how to run another kind of defense. if certain players who are considered to be part of the foundation in KC, aren't well suited for the 3-4, chances are, no matter who comes in to be the DC, they won't impliment that specific system.

tearing this team back down, just to bring in new players who fit a system, makes no sense whatsoever. if Crennell or any other coach they bring, can't develop the proper system to utilize the available talent, they shouldn't be a DC in the first place.

It would be like an OC asking Huard to perform in a bootleg heavy system just because that was all the OC had experience running previously. That is just stupid logic.

Acquiring J.Pepp would help to alleviate alot of our defensive problems. Some players learn more quickly through the help of the double-team offenses scheme. I think if we are to get either Suggs or Peppers, this would help in Dorseys development dramatically. It's impossible to over-haul the entire D in one year, we are going to have to rely on the players we keep to utilize the abilities that got them their shot in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    any coach worth a crap will develop a system around the available talent. if the young talent in the organization doesn't allow for a certain defense, that defense won't be utilitzed. just because they bring in a coach who ran a certain defense at one point in his career doesn't mean he doesn't know how to run another kind of defense. if certain players who are considered to be part of the foundation in KC, aren't well suited for the 3-4, chances are, no matter who comes in to be the DC, they won't impliment that specific system.

tearing this team back down, just to bring in new players who fit a system, makes no sense whatsoever. if Crennell or any other coach they bring, can't develop the proper system to utilize the available talent, they shouldn't be a DC in the first place.

It would be like an OC asking Huard to perform in a bootleg heavy system just because that was all the OC had experience running previously. That is just stupid logic.
    Yea. I like Cover 2. Its been proven effective. Tampa and Indy used it, and won a super bowl with it. Thats what Herm and Carl drafted for. I'm just not sure our Defense has the right keys for the lock we have yet to open. I like the 3-4. If we could pick up a few different LB's and obviously a DE I think we could do it. The talent is there. Not to mention youth. With youth comes the ability to adjust and adapt.

I'm gonna vote for Michael Ketchum our Assistant DC to become our new DC. Thats my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    Personally, I think its pretty close to a given that Haley will be our new HC. Who would everyone like to see as our defensive coordinator. I was thinking about how someone (can't remember who) said they saw Dennis Green in town. I think that would be a good choice.

You guys and your Haley. Stop the devil talk please or we are all doomed for another 3-4 years while the chiefs find out he sucks.

I want to know why everyone is so down on Jarrad Page? He has probably been our most consistent DB. Granted he does give up some big plays, but I think that is more about experience than skill. The guy is a hitter and has the ability to cover the deep middle. I think we need to get away from the cover 2 and play more man to man. Of course that means bringing in a pass rusher because man to man will only work if you can generate a pass rush (which we obviously couldn't last year). Our secondary could be good for years to come if we can get a front 7 to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2thend View Post
    I want to know why everyone is so down on Jarrad Page? He has probably been our most consistent DB. Granted he does give up some big plays, but I think that is more about experience than skill. The guy is a hitter and has the ability to cover the deep middle. I think we need to get away from the cover 2 and play more man to man. Of course that means bringing in a pass rusher because man to man will only work if you can generate a pass rush (which we obviously couldn't last year). Our secondary could be good for years to come if we can get a front 7 to go along with it.
    The only reason I think Page had a bad year is because he had poor tackling all year. Any time when a safety is making the tackle, they have to make it because they do not know who is behind them, usually no one. He did pretty well in coverage and got beat a few times, but we could blame that on the pass rush, since you can't cover someone for an entire minute. However, I think that once we go away from the cover 2, the safeties will be looked at in a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    You guys and your Haley. Stop the devil talk please or we are all doomed for another 3-4 years while the chiefs find out he sucks.
    Sources?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Then why was Cleavland's defense mediocre?
    Nothing to do with Romeo... they're Cleveland.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast