Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another name that's popping up

Default Another name that's popping up

Maybe the Chiefs are looking at a canidate that will be coaching in the big dance this Sunday and there's a chance it's not Todd Haley. I've read some things here and there on other forums about Russ Grimm, the assistant head coach/offensive line coach for the Cards, being a possibility. Arrowhead pride just posted an article about him (unrelated to his coaching future) and I think they are also starting to see this as a good possibility. Grimm makes a little more sense than Haley. He's young but has a lot of experience and is more primmed to be a head coach. He's been up for a couple of head coaching positions in the past but ultimately lost out to Lovie Smith and Mike Tomlin. Success seems to follow him wherever he goes and he has a reputation for building good offensive lines and productive running games. Just a little more speculation while we patiently wait...

Here's his coaching history (according to Wikipedia):
    After hanging up his player's cleats, Grimm returned to the Redskins as a tight end coach (from 1992 through 1996, and offensive line coach from 1997 through 2000, during which he was instrumental in the development of tackles Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen. After his coaching stint with the Redskins, Grimm joined the Pittsburgh Steelers as offensive line coach in September 2000. In 2004 he was promoted to Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line.
    In 2004, after the Chicago Bears fired Dick Jauron, Bears management considered Grimm as a top candidate for the job. The job eventually went to then St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith.
    In 2005, Grimm added another Super Bowl ring (totalling 4) to his résumé as part of the Pittsburgh Steelers' coaching staff (Offensive Line Coach).Under Grimm guidance in 2005, the Super Bowl champion Steelers averaged nearly 140 yards rushing per game during the regular season to rank fifth in the NFL while also grinding out 181 rushing yards in their Super Bowl XL victory over the Seattle Seahawks. In 2006 Steelers offensive line helped pave the way for running back Willie Parker to gain 1,494 yards and 13 touchdowns on 337 carries with 4.4 yard avg. and earn his first Pro Bowl selection. Pittsburgh offense finished the 2006 season with the 10th best rushing attack in the NFL, helping to give the Steelers the 7th ranked total offense in the league. Parker finished the season with the second and third top rushing performances of the year in the NFL with 223 rushing yards 32 att., TD against Cleveland Browns and 213 yards with 22 att, 2 TD vs. New Orleans Saints.
    On January 5 , 2007, Bill Cowher resigned as head coach of the Steelers. In the press conference that followed, Steeler's President Art Rooney II announced Russ Grimm as one of the candidates for the job. On January 15th, 2007, he was named as a finalist for the job along with Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Tomlin. The Steelers would end up hiring Tomlin as their head coach. Shortly thereafter, Grimm was hired by the Arizona Cardinals to serve as their assistant head coach/offensive line coach. In Arizona, he serves under head coach Ken Whisenhunt who Grimm worked with under Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh. In his first season in Arizona, his offensive line allowed only 24 sacks, 6th best in the NFL and the fewest given up by the Cardinals since 1978 with 22. Grimm’s offensive line also paved the way for running back Edgerrin James to rush for 1,222 yards, the fifth best total in team history. The Cardinals offense finished with the 5th best passing attack in the NFL and threw for a team record 32 touchdowns.
    Last edited by Nel Toille; 01-28-2009 at 02:21 AM.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

That is a guy I could probably support. Not only is he an assistant head coach, but he's a O-line coach. Make him the head coach, and you know he'll bring the right people in on the O-line to make us have a good one again. I want a defensive minded head coach, but if we have to go offensive, this guy doesn't sound that bad.

O-line asst. coaches don't have great track records as HCs. But it's all a crap shoot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    That is a guy I could probably support. Not only is he an assistant head coach, but he's a O-line coach. Make him the head coach, and you know he'll bring the right people in on the O-line to make us have a good one again. I want a defensive minded head coach, but if we have to go offensive, this guy doesn't sound that bad.
    If you really think about it, this guy is really the best fit for us right now. I would have to say our number one concern should be our running game. It's just in shambles. Many of our losses last year can easily be blamed on our lack of a running game more than our defense. If we could have just kept the offense on the field and ran out the clock, we would have won the majority of those close ones. I know our defense is bad but you can't expect ANY defense to play an entire half of football at full speed with a few three-and-out breaks in between and still be effective. Pioli knows this and I expect that he'll make it his first priority.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    O-line asst. coaches don't have great track records as HCs. But it's all a crap shoot anyway.

Andy Reid and Tony Sparano both look like good head coaches. They both were O-line coaches.

The only trend I know of for coaching is that Vikings' defensive coordinators become good head coaches. Mike Tomlin and Tony Dungy are such names. I am not endorsing Leslie Frazier, just stating the one trend I see.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Seriously? After all the stuff you post about guys you are gonna say its a crap shoot? I expected better from you.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Plus, he's got a cool name.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Seriously? After all the stuff you post about guys you are gonna say its a crap shoot? I expected better from you.
    Finding new head coaches without a track record who are going to be successful without a track record.... is kind of a crap shoot. Even GM's (Phil Savage in particular) agree.
    There was even an article written about it.
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...y/1000018.html

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Its always a crap shoot when you make changes. I just hope that we find the next Cowher, Shottenhiemer, Shannahan, Parcells etc in the next head coach! I know some will not agree with my choices but they are just some that i knew on the flip that has had good history in the NFL.

Russ Grimm > Haley

Thanks for posting this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast