Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Laurinaitis: Should be our LB

Default James Laurinaitis: Should be our LB

This guy has better stats than Curry or Maualuga and I like his "strengths" more so than the others.

Strengths:
    Adequate size and bulk...Good athlete...Very good speed...Excellent instincts with a top-notch football IQ...Reliable tackler...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Reads and reacts quickly...Smooth with fluid hips and terrific awareness in coverage...Good hands...Does a real nice job of avoiding blockers and working through traffic...Super active with a great motor...Offers some versatility...Intense and competitive...Has a lot of experience...Durable...Smart...Very mature...Outstanding work ethic...Team and community leader...Was extraordinarily productive.

Weaknesses:
    Needs to be more physical...Struggles when he has to take on and shed blockers...Can be too aggressive at times...Doesn't have elite strength and power...Not real explosive or a big hitter...Average pass rusher / blitzer...Doesn't make many impact plays...Frame is close to being maxed out...Surrounded by lots of talent...May not have much upside.

Career StatisticsYearGPTKLTFLSACKPBUINT20051290.50.000200 6131158.54.0252007131218.55.0122008131307.04.042To tals5137524.513.079

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    This guy has better stats than Curry or Maualuga and I like his "strengths" more so than the others.

Strengths:
    Adequate size and bulk...Good athlete...Very good speed...Excellent instincts with a top-notch football IQ...Reliable tackler...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Reads and reacts quickly...Smooth with fluid hips and terrific awareness in coverage...Good hands...Does a real nice job of avoiding blockers and working through traffic...Super active with a great motor...Offers some versatility...Intense and competitive...Has a lot of experience...Durable...Smart...Very mature...Outstanding work ethic...Team and community leader...Was extraordinarily productive.

Weaknesses:
    Needs to be more physical...Struggles when he has to take on and shed blockers...Can be too aggressive at times...Doesn't have elite strength and power...Not real explosive or a big hitter...Average pass rusher / blitzer...Doesn't make many impact plays...Frame is close to being maxed out...Surrounded by lots of talent...May not have much upside.

Career StatisticsYearGPTKLTFLSACKPBUINT20051290.50.000200 6131158.54.0252007131218.55.0122008131307.04.042To tals5137524.513.079
    That's great and all, but where are you expecting to get him? Second round? Because if by some small chance he falls out of the first round, he won't make it past the Lions.

0% chance he is available in the 2nd round.

and no LB is worth the #3 overall pick, especially when they're projected a mid to late 1st rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    That's great and all, but where are you expecting to get him? Second round? Because if by some small chance he falls out of the first round, he won't make it past the Lions.
    1rst Round. I was simply saying if I were gonna take a LB with the #3 pick, it would be him over Curry or Maualuga. JMO

1rst Round. I was simply saying if I were gonna take a LB with the #3 pick, it would be him over Curry or Maualuga. JMO
    I like Laurinaitis. I think he will be great. But unless we move down to the 20th spot in the first round, I don't think we make that big of a reach for him at #3.

At #3, we take the best OT available.

If you're going off the scouting reports then I'd have to say his "weaknesses" are a lot more glaring. Everything about it screams bust but you can't really know until he gets out there and plays. Maualuga's stats probably weren't as good because he had another five-star prospect in their LB core but Maualuga is a ballhawk and a big play type of guy. That's what we need. I wouldn't mind finding a fundementally sound LB like JL but I wouldn't take him with the third pick. I would take Maualuga at 3, easily.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    I like Laurinaitis. I think he will be great. But unless we move down to the 20th spot in the first round, I don't think we make that big of a reach for him at #3.

At #3, we take the best OT available.
    His weaknesses make him seem like less of a fit in a 3-4 than Maualuga or even Curry, but then again AJ Hawk turned out pretty decent, and this guy took his place pretty admirably. I wouldn't mind having him in the later first round and having more picks though, God knows we need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    His weaknesses make him seem like less of a fit in a 3-4 than Maualuga or even Curry, but then again AJ Hawk turned out pretty decent, and this guy took his place pretty admirably. I wouldn't mind having him in the later first round and having more picks though, God knows we need them.
    That would be a good thing, for sure.

James seems more like a OLB to me with his speed and smaller size. I think Maualuga would be a WAAAY better MLB for us to be that MEAN guy in the middle that makes big plays!!! James is more of a complete guy that would be better dropping back in coverage and making outside plays.

Curry seems like a good mix of both James and Maualuga. BUT we need a BIG MEAN beasty guy like Maualuga more so then a guy like James or Curry.

Overall talent

Curry>Maualuga>James

What we need

Maualuga>Curry>James

I will say this!!!!!

If we could trade down to say 8th or 10th and gain a 2nd andmaybe a 2010 2nd then we could do this:

8th- Rey Maualuga

Then trade that 2nd AND that 2010 2nd to move back into the 20's

20th-James Laurinaitis

NOW we have BOTh Rey and James MUAHAHAHA for JUST our 3rd overall pick!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Again, it's not a given that we are switching to a 3-4 defense.

And I have to question whoever said Maualuga is more of a ball hawk than Laurinaitis. In their college careers, Maualuga has 5 int while Laurinaitis has 9 int. If you are saying playmaker, then Maualuga 2 FF, Laurinaitis 4 FF. The only difference between the two is that Maualuga is a better blitzer (even though Laurinaitis had four more sacks than Maualuga in their college careers). However, if Maualuga is better suited for a 3-4, Laurinaitis is more 4-3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast