Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albert Haynesworth

Default Albert Haynesworth

So according to ESPN, Haynesworth is not planning on giving a hometeam discount to the Titans. Which means that he wants to go where he can get the most $$. Which makes it a possibility we may be able to pay him enough to come here.

I definitely would love to have him next to Dorsey. Both as a mentor and to free some pressure off the rest of the line.

If we could get him and Peppers or Suggs (sounding less likely), I think we would have a GREAT D-line. I think Peppers (or Suggs)/Dorsey/Haynesworth/Hali would be pretty damn good with Tank and Turk rotating in. Obviously this would only work if we kept the 4-3, and I dont think we could afford a top-tier FA LB. Which we would also need.

The only problem is that I have questions about Haynesworth's durability. I dont think he has gone a whole season without missing a few games due to injury.

Here is the article from ESPN's rumor page:
    Will Haynesworth give a hometown discount?
    Albert Haynesworth | Titans | Interested: Panthers? Falcons?
    Unlike Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is not going to give the team a hometown discount during negotiations for a new contract. That is, "not unless they give me a 100 percent guaranteed contract," as he told the Tennessean on Thursday.
    "You want to try and make as much as you can because if you have a career-ending injury you are out," Haynesworth told the paper, "and the team sure as heck is not going to pay you. It's not like baseball or basketball. You want to get as much as possible."

Although specific demands have not been stated by Haynesworth or his agent, Chad Speck, it is believed that he's interested in a six-year deal that would make him the highest-paid defensive player in the league. Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen is currently in that role, and he signed a six-year deal last offseason with $32 million guaranteed and $12.2 million per season.

Haynesworth told the Nashville City Paper, "Like I said, Tennessee has the first shot. We'll see how that goes, and if it doesn't go well, I could see the free agent market. I started my NFL career there. I'd love to retire in the same jersey. My kids are there. My kids were born there. It's a lot of history. I played at the University of Tennessee. There's a lot of stuff that factors in, but we've just got to see how it works out. Either way I want to stay by my kids and stay by my house in Knoxville." Because of this desire to stay close to his home, the Paper's Terry McCormick speculates that the Atlanta Falcons and Carolina Panthers would be likely destinations should he not re-sign with Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    How, exactly, do you plan to stop the run next year with our pigmy DTs and an undersized MLB in Vilma? Do we just hope the runner trips every play?

And the Pats have been extemely active in FA. Their first SB team had 11 FA starters on it. They've signed or traded for starters pretty much every year since Pioli was in charge.
    Pigmy???? Tank Tyler 6-2 306 LBS, Glenn Dorsey 6-1 297 LBS. They are soooooo small. Tank played very very well, and Glenn was a rookie. DT is not the problem. Do you really know what your talking about? And Vilma may be a bit light, but he is a good solid football player. Better than what we have now. Do you know what your talking about?

Fine, you got me oon the FA thing. I'm sorry I haven't payed attention to the Pats they aren't my team. I just never recalled them signing many players.

Quote Originally Posted by Codac View Post
    Pigmy???? Tank Tyler 6-2 306 LBS, Glenn Dorsey 6-1 297 LBS. They are soooooo small. Tank played very very well, and Glenn was a rookie. DT is not the problem. Do you really know what your talking about? And Vilma may be a bit light, but he is a good solid football player. Better than what we have now. Do you know what your talking about?

Fine, you got me oon the FA thing. I'm sorry I haven't payed attention to the Pats they aren't my team. I just never recalled them signing many players.
    Glenn Dorsey and Tank Tyler are too small and light to adequately play DT in the NFL right now. If Dorsey's 6'1", I'm 7'5". If you think Tank played well last year, you probably didn't watch a whole lot of games. He and Dorsey couldn't stop anyone. They got run on every single down last year and that's why we ended up 30th in the league against the run. We would have been last, except that our DL couldn't get pressure and teams just started throwing on us the whole second half.

Vilma is too tiny to be our MLB with those two as our DTs. That's the reason he got traded out of NYC - he's too small to be an every down MLB. Would he be better than Pat Thomas/DeMorrio Williams? Who wouldn't? Do I want someone a whole lot bigger than him? Definitely.

Haynesworth..I dunno, that's a real head scratcher, or stomper? He is a beast.

I would grab him in a heart beat, if it wasnt for his price tag and his history of injuries. Those two together make me very hesitant to bring him over. At this point, I would lean away from him. But if this was Madden, I'd be on him like white on rice.
    Last edited by jap1; 02-01-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Glenn Dorsey and Tank Tyler are too small and light to adequately play DT in the NFL right now. If Dorsey's 6'1", I'm 7'5". If you think Tank played well last year, you probably didn't watch a whole lot of games. He and Dorsey couldn't stop anyone. They got run on every single down last year and that's why we ended up 30th in the league against the run. We would have been last, except that our DL couldn't get pressure and teams just started throwing on us the whole second half.

Vilma is too tiny to be our MLB with those two as our DTs. That's the reason he got traded out of NYC - he's too small to be an every down MLB. Would he be better than Pat Thomas/DeMorrio Williams? Who wouldn't? Do I want someone a whole lot bigger than him? Definitely.
    Vilma got traded from the Jets because Vilma did not fit well in the 3-4 defense they switched to. However, in the 4-3 defense they were running before that, Vilma was great. Consistent. He won defensive rookie of the year. Just because he is undersized, does not mean he will be run over on every play.

Darnell Dockett. He had two sacks today in the Super Bowl, do you know his size? 6-4, 285 lbs. I think once the Chiefs get a new DC, they will use Dorsey the way he should be used. He is not a space eater, but a three-technique guy who bursts through the line to disrupt the play. Haynesworth would be nice, but how can you promise that he will continue to play at a high level and not become injured or lazy? DT is the fourth priority for the Chiefs behind the O-line, DE, and LBs.

Haynesworth has played ONE full season (rookie year) during his 8 years in the league and during that season, he started 3 games. He would be too expensive and too injury prone. After his rookie season, Haynesworth has played 74 of 116 games. You think this injury problem is going to get better or worse the older he gets? This has LJ/Holmes written all over it.

Defensive tackle isn't the problem on this team if we stick with the 4-3. Our DTs are young, but talented. It takes time for DTs in particular to develop into stud players. Give me guys who can prove they can stay healthy.

Money needs to be spent elsewhere. The Chiefs need a DE and a couple LBs in free agency and a DC who can utilize his talent effectively.

Glad to see others see a lot of issues with Haynesworth. Not only is he injury prone and going to be highly overpaid, but he has poor work ethic and isn't a team player. He's a great player, no doubt, but plays much harder during contract years. With all the great play, I would expect an equal amount of frustration if we sign him.

He would be another one of those high dollar aquisitions that had a great "one season" and then reports to training camp with a surprising need for a season ending surgery.

I believe Pioli will attract players that want to play a team sport and the players that wanna slack will be out the door.

Well we are not going to go after anyone until we get a HC and DC, then depending on what they want to do will determine who we go after.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Well we are not going to go after anyone until we get a HC and DC, then depending on what they want to do will determine who we go after.
    Free agency has not even started yet. I highly doubt the Chiefs go three and a half weeks without filling both positions. Either way, it looks like we won't be going to a 3-4.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast