Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: KCChiefs.com : Finally, D.T. is Home

Default KCChiefs.com : Finally, D.T. is Home

If a week from now, Todd Haley reaches the mountaintop of football coaching with an NFL head...

More...

Quote Originally Posted by Chief4Ever&Ever View Post
    I agree!! Sharpe was ok at best, he just played with a great QB and RB at the time, he is the ****iest peice of $@&% I have ever seen!!
    It's easy to hate Thannon Tharpe. He is the definition of a horse face. They drafted him because if he didn't pan out as a player, he could at least have been their mascot. But seriously, he was pretty good... though not as good as TONY! MWAHAHAHA
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

This is amazing, even though the last season was a complete fiasco, since then there has been a lot to celebrate, Herm is OUT and DT is IN

HURRAAAAAYY!!!!

Default KCChiefs.com : Finally, D.T. is Home

TAMPA, FL -- "Lamar is sitting up there just smiling." Those were Norma Hunt's words Saturday afternoon after the announcement of the Class of 2009 for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. As his wife well knows, the Chiefs

More...

20 years in the making...finally! He deserved it. Never again will there be even close to 7 sacks in 1 game.

Default DT could have been the greatest of all time

This is an argument I've been making for years now and now that Derrick's in the HOF, I want to share my thoughts with the rest of you.
    I always wondered why Derrick Thomas barely makes the conversation whenever you hear analyists talk about the greatest pass rushers of all time. Most don't rank him in the top 5 and a few don't even consider him in the top 10. Most people will put Bruce Smith as the number one guy simply because he had the most sacks but he also played for 18 seasons. Derrick finished with 126.5 over a span of 10 years. That's obviously about 12 sacks a season. Smith had 200 sacks (the record) over 18 seasons and averaged 11 sacks a season. I'm not saying that Thomas would have continued to have averaged 12 sacks a season; he probably would have teetered off towards the end, however, if he would have even averaged 10 sacks a season for the rest of his career, which would have been possible, he would have reached the record and may have beaten it had he played as long as Smith. I wonder how many people take that into consideration. Plus, he still holds the record for most sacks in a game (which will probably never be beaten) and the record for most forced fumbles in a career... and he only played ten years. If you don't consider Derrick to be in the Top 5 along with the likes of Smith, White and LT, then you're smoking some crack.

His career was cut short so we will never know if he would have been considered the greatest. I do agree that DT does not get the credit he deserves. Not only does he have the record for the most sacks in a single game, he is also tied for the second most in a game at 6. And the most forced fumbles in a career (while only playing ten years)!? Talk about a game changer. I'm glad to see that he finally made it into the HOF.

Some consider his lack to stop the run as one of the reasons. Solely being a pass rusher and not as much of a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nel Toille View Post
    This is an argument I've been making for years now and now that Derrick's in the HOF, I want to share my thoughts with the rest of you.
    I always wondered why Derrick Thomas barely makes the conversation whenever you hear analyists talk about the greatest pass rushers of all time. Most don't rank him in the top 5 and a few don't even consider him in the top 10. Most people will put Bruce Smith as the number one guy simply because he had the most sacks but he also played for 18 seasons. Derrick finished with 126.5 over a span of 10 years. That's obviously about 12 sacks a season. Smith had 200 sacks (the record) over 18 seasons and averaged 11 sacks a season. I'm not saying that Thomas would have continued to have averaged 12 sacks a season; he probably would have teetered off towards the end, however, if he would have even averaged 10 sacks a season for the rest of his career, which would have been possible, he would have reached the record and may have beaten it had he played as long as Smith. I wonder how many people take that into consideration. Plus, he still holds the record for most sacks in a game (which will probably never be beaten) and the record for most forced fumbles in a career... and he only played ten years. If you don't consider Derrick to be in the Top 5 along with the likes of Smith, White and LT, then you're smoking some crack.
    I didn't realize that they already had decided who was going to be in Hall of Fame. DT has been in there for years in my book. He is in the record books for sacking a QB 7 times in a game. .I don't care how you tear him apart, DT had a heart that cared.
    Last edited by hardcorechiefsfan; 02-01-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Sn@keIze View Post
    Some consider his lack to stop the run as one of the reasons. Solely being a pass rusher and not as much of a LB.
    That's why I was saying he should at least be considered in the top 5 of pass rushers. That's what he was and I don't even see why people bother bringing up his ability to stop the run. He wasn't supposed to stop the run, he was supposed to murder the QB and statistically, nobody else did that better than him for an entire decade. That's saying something.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast