Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Matt Cassel

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Matt Cassel


    0 Not allowed!
    Anyone have ESPN Insider? News headline for today says Patriots sending Cassel to KC, but can't read story without being a member. Anyone hear of this?

  2. #21
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,103
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 132

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Cassell is not coming to the Chiefs. Mark my word on that.

    Everyone here talks about Croyle being so fragile, yet he was pummeled due to poor o-line protection and no recievers to truly stretch the field. Croyle's downsid eis that he cannot scramble as well as Thigpen.

    Regardless...Cassell will not be persuaded to come to KC. Seriously look for him to go elsewhere.
    You are right, he is not fragile, Croyle doesnt know how to take a hit. If you watch him get tackled, he doesn't understand how to roll your shoulders and body to brush off hits. Darren Sproles and Dante Hall are smaller than Croyle and take (or took) a lot more hits during their time. Croyle always tried to run over the guy hitting him, while a good RB/WR will roll away from the hit. Unless it is a big RB against a DB, thats the only time you see them purposely keep their body square. This also isnt something I think you can teach someone either. You learn it in Pee Wee/HS.

  3. #22
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,123
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    You are right, he is not fragile, Croyle doesnt know how to take a hit. If you watch him get tackled, he doesn't understand how to roll your shoulders and body to brush off hits. Darren Sproles and Dante Hall are smaller than Croyle and take (or took) a lot more hits during their time. Croyle always tried to run over the guy hitting him, while a good RB/WR will roll away from the hit. Unless it is a big RB against a DB, thats the only time you see them purposely keep their body square. This also isnt something I think you can teach someone either. You learn it in Pee Wee/HS.
    It can be taught. Otherwise those Pee-wee/HS players couldn't learn it.

    But I grant that he looks awkward in running with the ball. All that means is that he is a pocket-style QB, who should not be running often. (If at all.)

    I, for one, would be upset to see Croyle stick around for another season.

  4. #23
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    994
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Who threw all the passes that Those guys were catching?

    I'm not saying that Cassel would be a wise move. And I agree that his coming to KC is very unlikely.

    But when you get sacked that often, and still manage to accumulate good numbers, there's more to it than receivers.

    Also, have you ever heard of Tony Gonzales and Dwayne Bowe? How about Hines Ward, Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes?

    Moss and Welker aren't exactly that damn amazing. I like them. But I certainly don't think that they made Tom Brady. Just as I don't think that they made Cassel.
    What I was trying to say is this:

    Cassel had WAY more rec threats. Quick dumps to RB's and short routes to WR's. On TOP of that, look at the rushing attack...The actual team total for rushing in 2008 was more like 2200 yds.

    He was sacked a lot but he also had a check down list that was 500 miles long. His read progression was slower because he was not used to NFL game speed plus he had more than enough options.

    My thought is this....Put Croyle or Thigpen in Cassel's shoes and wonder what the outcome would have been.

  5. #24
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drunken State
    Posts
    3,993
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 46

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    What I was trying to say is this:

    Cassel had WAY more rec threats. Quick dumps to RB's and short routes to WR's. On TOP of that, look at the rushing attack...The actual team total for rushing in 2008 was more like 2200 yds.

    He was sacked a lot but he also had a check down list that was 500 miles long. His read progression was slower because he was not used to NFL game speed plus he had more than enough options.

    My thought is this....Put Croyle or Thigpen in Cassel's shoes and wonder what the outcome would have been.
    Croyle would've been knocked out of 1st game midway through the 2nd quarter.
    Thig gets 'em to the playoffs!!
    SHUT IT

  6. #25
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,330
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Croyle would've been knocked out of 1st game midway through the 2nd quarter.
    Thig gets 'em to the playoffs!!
    They were 11-6 and missed out to SD. No one would have made it to the playoffs there this year!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  7. #26
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grain Valley, MO
    Posts
    2,425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Who is this Croyle guy you all keep referring to?

    I remember we had some kid in a bubble out there to start the season before Huard came in and got snapped in half and then Thig came in. Is that who you're talking about?



    Seriously, I wish Croyle the best in whatever he does. Just as long as it's not a spot anywhere on the Chiefs' roster.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

  8. #27
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Posts
    979
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I figure Croyle will be in KC this year, just becuase he is under contract and we dont HAVE to ttake the cap hit to get rid of him. I doubt he sees playtime but why take the cap hit unless you need to cut him to make cap room~

    I say he starts the year at third QB, and ends it the same.

  9. #28
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,915
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    I figure Croyle will be in KC this year, just becuase he is under contract and we dont HAVE to ttake the cap hit to get rid of him. I doubt he sees playtime but why take the cap hit unless you need to cut him to make cap room~

    I say he starts the year at third QB, and ends it the same.
    Its almost no cap hit to fire Croyle. And I just don't see any advantage to keeping him. He can't stay healthy through a single game anymore. What possible use does he have to us, except that he wastes a roster spot?

  10. #29
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,967
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 426

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    It can be taught. Otherwise those Pee-wee/HS players couldn't learn it.

    But I grant that he looks awkward in running with the ball. All that means is that he is a pocket-style QB, who should not be running often. (If at all.)

    I, for one, would be upset to see Croyle stick around for another season.
    I'd be surprised to see him stick around for one more season, he simply has not proven that he can do the job.


  11. #30
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,205
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Cut Croyle, keep Gray (big, durable, decent), sign a capable veteran who can play in case Thigpen gets hurt or looks terrible in training camp ala what the Cardinals did with Leinart and Warner.

    Recipe for success. The biggest problem is there might not be a capable veteran QB out there. If we played in a West Coast offense, Jeff Garcia would have worked. David Carr might be the best option available, unfortunately...
    Last edited by yashi; 02-04-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •