Super Bowl notebook

haley is scheduled to meet with kc this week

Comments

February 2, 2009

By Brad Biggs, Sun-Times News Group

"Todd Haley is expected to interview:

Does not say "TO"

So its just another rumor/opinion

We'll see how this turns out. Someone is saying that Haley will interview this week (Chicago Sun-Times) while another is saying that Haley's only plans for the week are going to the Pro Bowl (Kansas City Star). So we'll see who is right. I think the Chiefs will announce their head coach this friday following the same pattern they have had this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by theaxeeffect4311 View Post
    We'll see how this turns out. Someone is saying that Haley will interview this week (Chicago Sun-Times) while another is saying that Haley's only plans for the week are going to the Pro Bowl (Kansas City Star). So we'll see who is right. I think the Chiefs will announce their head coach this friday following the same pattern they have had this off-season.
    Based off that I'd say Haley will be the next head coach. The star seems to get their "breaking" sports news from espn just like everyone else. Heck it was reported by ESPN that Herm was fired what...a couple of hours before the star "broke" the story?

Per PFT:

Earlier today, we posted an item with comments from Todd Haley, saying he had no plans to interview for the Chiefs’ head-coaching vacancy this week.

However a Chicago Sun-Times report says otherwise.

Per Brad Biggs, Haley is the leading candidate for the job and is in fact expected to interview sometime this week.

A source tells Biggs that minority candidates have turned down interviews with the Chiefs because the feeling in league circles is that the job is already Haley’s.

As Aaron Wilson pointed out earlier, it wouldn’t be surprising if Haley has been instructed by Chiefs GM Scott Pioli not to talk about the potential interview.

According to the Sun-Times, Haley, who served as Bears wide receivers coach from 2001-03, could lean on former Chicago assistants to fill out his coaching staff.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that Haley spent significant time on the phone last week trying to assemble his staff.

Former Chicago assistants... as in "former" like, before the Lovie Smith era and before they were any good "former?"

My personal opinion- the guy was a coach on the staff of a team that (although they went to the super bowl) was not really that great.

I think it would be a mistake to have him come in as head coach- but hey, the Chiefs know more about who they're evaluating and interviewing than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    My personal opinion- the guy was a coach on the staff of a team that (although they went to the super bowl) was not really that great.

I think it would be a mistake to have him come in as head coach- but hey, the Chiefs know more about who they're evaluating and interviewing than I do.
    In my opinion they guy was a OC on team that really wasn't that great. They had great receivers and that was it... So how did they get to the superbowl. After watching that game, I noticed something I haven't seen much with the Chiefs. The Cardinals offense adjusted to what Pittsburgh threw at them, and did it well.

Even after Fitzgeralds last TD, everyone was cheering and all happy, and there was Haley, Stone faced, instructing Fitzgerald and telling him good job.

I have only watched the Cardinals play three times and like everyone else I was skeptical and needed to see for myself. I was critical of his play calling at first, but by the time the game was over. I like the adjustment he made. It was also clear to me that other than Fitzgerald, and Boldin, the Cards offense isn't far form the Chiefs with Gonzales and Bowe. The offensive line was just as suspect. He even rolled out Warner a couple times to help with the pass rush.

I am okay giving Haley a shot, should he be the guy. I saw things in the superbowl that I really liked.

Cardinals got good when their defense pulled their collective heads out and started playing some ball. Offense has never been a problem in Arizona. Boldin and Fitzgerald are the best duo in football imho. Not every team has this luxury. I think the whole Haley bit is way blown out of the proportion. That guy is getting more hype then he deserves.

Why cant Pioli interview him in Hawaii? Seems like a good place for a job interview to me.

Plus it really seems that its his job to lose anyway at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post

I agree with this. It cant get any worse than the Peterson Edwaeds combo. Obviously pioli knows something about this guy we dont.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast